Need help picking first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that when you start a thread like this it is a requirement that you post photos and give updates as to progress.

Update* I called my dad to get his input and to see if any of his buddies that had gotten new saws lately and were looking to get rid of their old on, because it had a dirty carb. He told me that he is working a deal but he was at a wedding and couldn’t talk. That is what I know.
Another thought is a husky 51 or 55. Rock solid, dependable, plenty of AM part support, and can regularly be had on ebay for under $150.

The Echo Cs400 is on the list of potentials. I missed naming the model on my original post. That is the saw the dealer has available for $3oo with the value pack which includes a collectors edition Echo hat. That is hard to pass up.

I have been cruising CL and the classifieds here for a 346XP as everyone seems to love them. I haven't seen any locally or many on the classified here. Ebay doesn't have many either.

If you are at times cutting 20" trees, it would be nice to have something with more power than a 40cc saw. That Echo cs400 is a good saw but for $330 you could buy a brand new cs590 with a 20" bar off Ebay. There isn't another saw on the planet that will cut like that saw for $330.

Poulan, that is an interesting suggestion. I see it comes with a case, for $200 shipped and it is a 50CC saw. I can't find the HP online but it has to be more than the 40cc saws mentioned above.

I do want to try my own sharpening so yes I do need files. I have most of the PPE excluding the chaps.

26 or a 28 Stihl are descent saws. My 028 woodboss is an older saw but still gets it done for small to med jobs. One of the problems I have with Poulans or any big box store brands are they are made very cheap and are basically trash after a couple of yrs. Or get your dads 250 tuned up and try it again, you may be surprised.

Another thought is a husky 51 or 55. Rock solid, dependable, plenty of AM part support, and can regularly be had on ebay for under $150.

Another vote for the Husky 55. Well made, easy to work on and parts are plentiful both OE and aftermarket and if you need to buy any it won't hurt your pocket. I've had one as my firewood saw for years now and simply can't fault it. I see really tidy examples for sale on the trading post for between 150-200 bucks regularly. The value for money at that price is hard to beat. I can't think of another saw made for so long to such a standard that would come anywhere near that price. Sure, you can buy a plastic cased clamshell with warranty and all that but a reliable mag saw with a proven track record, used, would get my vote at half the price.

I have a couple of 242xp's and a 254xp (you'll have seen they're held in high regard) and I can tell you, while it may not be as high performance relatively, it's just as well made.

Another vote for the Husky 55. Well made, easy to work on and parts are plentiful both OE and aftermarket and if you need to buy any it won't hurt your pocket. I've had one as my firewood saw for years now and simply can't fault it. I see really tidy examples for sale on the trading post for between 150-200 bucks regularly. The value for money at that price is hard to beat. I can't think of another saw made for so long to such a standard that would come anywhere near that price. Sure, you can buy a plastic cased clamshell with warranty and all that but a reliable mag saw with a proven track record, used, would get my vote at half the price.

I have a couple of 242xp's and a 254xp (you'll have seen they're held in high regard) and I can tell you, while it may not be as high performance relatively, it's just as well made.
I purchased mine new in 92. Original everything. Don't think I've ever removed the cylinder cover lol. Starts somehow on the 3rd or 4th pull.

I like the Dolly's a lot...especially your new 6100. That 5105 is a $500 saw which would put it out of the OP's price range. Finding a good used one would be a good choice though.
Check around, I just bought a new 5105 last week for $429 from a local dealer. Was gonna spend $400 on an Echo 590.

Check around, I just bought a new 5105 last week for $429 from a local dealer. Was gonna spend $400 on an Echo 590.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. But, at 50cc, it won't cut like the 60cc 590. Can't really compare those two saws since they aren't in the same category.

One saw, multiple uses from small thinning jobs to 20" felling. Echo CS590 with 16" and 20" bars and chains. pretty much cover the ground he needs to cover. I would suggest the 620P but thats more than he wants to spend.

I often see Husq 455's on CL for about $200. A few months ago I was in your EXACT same position. My dad's MS250 left something to be desired. For me it was a slippery slope. At the time I had no chainsaws and if all goes well today, I will be up to 10.

I think the thing to keep in mind is how often are you going to use it once you clear out what you are looking to clear out. I prefer quality over shiney. Meaning, I would rather have a well running quality saw than something brand new. Having been in your same shoes this is what I did. I went to local auto parts store and bought a compression tester for like $20-$30. Then I would look at CL to see what was out there. Next I would search google (which 9.5 out of 10 times led me here) to see what kind of compression a specifc model saw should have. After that I would contact the seller and set up a meeting. When I would meet with them I would have a few screwdrivers and a scrench or sockets with me to pull the plug and test the compression. If the compression was sufficient, sometimes I would pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder. Honestly, I know you should do that everytime but I rarely have because the compression tested where others have said a good running saw of that model should. After that was a quick visual inspection of for cracks and anti-vibe mounts. Lastly would come the worst part.. Reaching into my pocket to get money and receive the saw.

Things to remember when buying used. Always dump the gas and replace with some that you know that you have mixed properly yourself. It is worth the extra 2 bucks to fill it with your own pre-mix vs finding out the hard way that the previous owner filled it with straight gas just so it would start. Just my $.02. Good luck and welcome!

-Joseph

I agree with others: you will be happier in the long run with a decent used 50cc saw. That being said the redmax 3800/4000/4500 that was recommended earlier is one of the strongest out of the box saws. Redmax is a sister co to husky and the previous models have gorgeous zenoah engines that really perform well! I would look at those and the following because their parts are still available and cheap to buy giving you extra $$$ for PPE...

Dolmar or Makita 520/540
Husky 55

Some might say that dolmar/makita saws are hard to get parts for but they can shove it. They are pro saws with plenty of power to run 18" 3/8 bar and chain. Parts needs can be found from edge and engine. I have 6-7 of the
520/540 series and is my go to single saw plan. Sure there are saws with more power like the 346xp but you'll pay 2x as much usually.

PS: it's my believe that you'll be happier in the long run, knowing how to fix and maintain your saw(s). Anyone can pull something out of a box and run it but those that learn how to clean, adjust, sharpen their saw will like their saw that much more every time you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others: you will be happier in the long run with a decent used 50cc saw. That being said the redmax 3800/4000/4500 that was recommended earlier is one of the strongest out of the box saws. Redmax is a sister co to husky and the previous models have gorgeous zenoah engines that really perform well! I would look at those and the following because their parts are still available and cheap to buy giving you extra $$$ for PPE...

Dolmar or Makita 520/540
Husky 55

Some might say that dolmar/makita saws are hard to get parts for but they can shove it. They are pro saws with plenty of power to run 18" 3/8 bar and chain. Parts needs can be found from edge and engine. I have 6-7 of the
520/540 series and is my go to single saw plan. Sure there are saws with more power like the 346xp but you'll pay 2x as much usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might pay 2x as much for a 346xp, but with 6-7 Makitas I don't think you're ahead money-wise... Nor does it seem that you are following a "1-saw-plan" with multiple 50cc saws. Having multiple saws but only using one at a time is not a 1 saw plan.

Latest posts

Back