Need help picking first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're gonna need to know what your dad came up with so we can either mock, congratulate, or both. :cheers:

Joseph

You might pay 2x as much for a 346xp, but with 6-7 Makitas I don't think you're ahead money-wise... Nor does it seem that you are following a "1-saw-plan" with multiple 50cc saws. Having multiple saws but only using one at a time is not a 1 saw plan.
Yea, it's a sickness for me but for a 1 saw plan it works good. You can find them for $75-$125 in good running condition. I might have 6-7 but the OP only needs one of them. I have them mostly b/c they are a decent saw to loan to friends and family which seems like 3-4 are always on loan and 2-3 are parts saws I've gotten for free or really cheap. My 520/540 that I use regularly has never let me down and always starts on 2-3 pulls. Just saying it's another cheap pro option for the OP. Also I forgot the older versions of the 520/540 are...

Dolmar: 109, 110, 111, 115... Same saw just a little older.

OP: I would strongly suggest a cheap helmet with ear muffs and face shield. They are $30 at farm stores usually and a decent set of chaps is a big plus. If you can buy something cheap and have extra $$$ for safety you'll be ahead of the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my update. I went up to my dad's house. He had a surprise for me. The surprise was he brought both of his old saws to the store to get fixed. We tried them out this morning both still don't run right. The tech said all he did was blow through the jets and only charged $28 to do both. They both run but are having what I would expect as carb issues. My dad offered for me to take both of them or one of them.

They are both husky 44s. One is 1980 vintage and one is 1990 vintage.

I suppose I should tear them apart now and start other threads as to how to tune them. I'm a little worried they are beyond reliable if the tech couldn't get them tuned.

I'll post photos once I find out how.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you are at times cutting 20" trees, it would be nice to have something with more power than a 40cc saw. That Echo cs400 is a good saw but for $330 you could buy a brand new cs590 with a 20" bar off Ebay. There isn't another saw on the planet that will cut like that saw for $330.
Where is the cs590 on eBay for $330? That seller sold out? That's interesting option. I also see the ms291 now has ezstart which makes it an option for my dad to use in his wood pile so I can get a long term loan on the ms250.

Where is the cs590 on eBay for $330? That seller sold out? That's interesting option. I also see the ms291 now has ezstart which makes it an option for my dad to use in his wood pile so I can get a long term loan on the ms250.

Probably sold it but there's a better deal on Ebay today...brand new cs590 for $265 ($25) shipping. Just so you know, Home Depot carries these for $399 but if you know a military member, they get 10% off. That puts it at $360 everyday price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Chain-...HAINSAW-NEW-/201422092570?hash=item2ee5b1391a

Looks like the link I used in the last post was for a "bid" instead of buy it now. This is the $330 buy it now ($30 shipping) link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Echo-Ch...HAINSAW-NEW-/321858962698?hash=item4af04a050a

rjm I picked up used 350 off ebay (I think an '07 model) for $175 I was trying to find reserve price and won the saw.
Put a new bar and chain on and always have fun limbing and light felling with it. I would think from your property description a sub $200 350 would be great.

On 350's be careful to make sure they have the upgraded intake boot (metal clamp) mine already had it and make sure you check the muffler bolts do not come loose -- common 350 problems, but I've had no issue and enjoy running the saw.

We have multiple 346's an OE 45CC w/ new stock cylinder and an OE updated to 50CC NE cylinder, new seals, muffler mod by nmurph on here now known as the murder 346.
All 3 saws have the same 18" bar and chain. The 346s out cut the 350, but the 350 is still a great saw to run.

I'll check to see if the guy I sourced the saw from on ebay has anything else for sale. He had like 10 saws at the time I was browsing around.

Good luck. Pictures of whatever you end up with or it didn't happen.

The guy I bought my 350 from doesn't have anything for sale.

But found this one which from the detailed description about all of the goodies inside someone on here might eventually buy it if you don't!
Original Mahle cylinder, updated intake clamp, 346 muffler brace so muffler doesn't loosen. Saw has had the treatment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-350-Chainsaw-/371432258365?hash=item567b167b3d

Good luck!

rjm I picked up used 350 off ebay (I think an '07 model) for $175 I was trying to find reserve price and won the saw.
Put a new bar and chain on and always have fun limbing and light felling with it. I would think from your property description a sub $200 350 would be great.

On 350's be careful to make sure they have the upgraded intake boot (metal clamp) mine already had it and make sure you check the muffler bolts do not come loose -- common 350 problems, but I've had no issue and enjoy running the saw.

We have multiple 346's an OE 45CC w/ new stock cylinder and an OE updated to 50CC NE cylinder, new seals, muffler mod by nmurph on here now known as the murder 346.
All 3 saws have the same 18" bar and chain. The 346s out cut the 350, but the 350 is still a great saw to run.

I'll check to see if the guy I sourced the saw from on ebay has anything else for sale. He had like 10 saws at the time I was browsing around.

Good luck. Pictures of whatever you end up with or it didn't happen.
I put photos of what my dad gave me back in post 47. Both are husky 44s. One is a 1975 model and one is 1987. Both run but neither run well. I am going to get new plugs in them this weekend and clean them up. I'll then Start the diagnosis.

Hi all, I did a little shopping this weekend. I went to the local fleet store and looked at a Poulan 5020av. I was surprised at how front heavy it felt and how heavy it was overall. Also the rewind was not what I was hoping for. I know the saw is built to a price point and will probably work just fine but it isn't the saw for me. I don't want to spend more time working on my saw than I do using it. That is the position I am in now and the whole point of this purchase is to avoid that in the future.

There is an MS270 on the local CL with a case 2 bars and 4 chains for $295. I probably need to do what one of the previous posters suggested and get a compression tester before I get too excited about a CL saw.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Hello rjm240 ,

I know I am late to your descision finding, but to be honest I would give your two saws a work over. To be honest they look hardly used! There are tons of threads here and elsewhere as well as videos on the net on "how to". It will cost you a saturday (afternoon, if you are mechanically inclined). I would renew the fuel lines, the carb membranes, clean the carb with a ultrasound cleaner(I only have one of those el cheapo models so I run a few cycles) and replace the engine shaft seal. Will cost you around 50-100$(not sure about US prices) for both. With that investment your saws will be "new" again, what I find a rather cheap investment. And powerwise you would have the lower end of your chainsaw needs very well taken care of and be close to the power of a Stihl 250 like your dad has. A sharp chain and proper carb settings would even let you surpass your dad's saw... ;)

After that I would start looking for a 60cc saw (f.e.Echo 590, or other used saws like a Stihl 041) on the bay or otherwise. I know that f.e. the 041 is an old saw, but to be honest your property isn't very big, so I might take a chance on one of the older models. Further you could always rent a larger saw for the very infrequent days of the year that you might need one.

I WOULDN'T invest in a 50cc saw.

Why? Simply because the saws would all be too close powerwise together, so there would be no benefit in your investment. As a thumb rule saws should be about 20cc apart. Further I find a ~40 & ~60cc saw pair to be one of the most ideal combinations for a homeowner out there.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back