Need help picking the correct saw for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are the best!!!:clap:

I think I have a plan.

1. 18" bar
2. 45-55cc
3. Visit as many dealers as possible (No Stihl dealers in my area) If it doesn't feel good in my hand it's not for me.
4. Get a backup saw at some point.

Or what do you think of getting the back up saw now (use it for a season and then save up for the first string saw?)
What would you consider a good backup saw?

I also recently bought a saw. not an expert but I cut enough wood to help heat the house. looked at the ms250,290,271,and 261.
if I cut for a living, I would have got the 261 for sure. the 250 or 290 would have been fine but I bought the 271 with a 16"bar. So far, so good. Happy saw hunting

Bill

CONGRATULATIONS! you've come to the right place. you want opinions, we got 'em! :msp_tongue:

short version: chaps, 346, cheapo.

big nasty scars are cool, but sometimes fatal. wrap them quads.

346 just to piss off the creamsickle heads (stihl zombies*), and excellent resale value if you decide to go heavier. but stay light with the first one as fatigue is what causes most accidents. (besides ignorance--and you can't buy your way out of that.)

*you know who you are-no offense.

cheapo because it's way easier to saw out a stuck one than to chop it out**. it's also very handy when time is limited to finish up a load with the cheapo when the 346 runs out of gas or gets dull/rocked. i prefer three for firewooding, but i have CAD (it's rampant around here). fuel/oil/sharpen the night before and cut cut cut to maximize production during daylight. much safer to load in the dark than to cut in the dark. and much easier to sharpen in the vise than on a tailgate.

**but you can also remove your saw motor from the stuck bar/chain and install second bar/chain to retrieve first b/c. learn lotsa goodies like that 'round here you will.

be safe and also get a 346xp from a saw shop-unless the dealer is a peckerhead, and then go find a better dealer and buy whatever he/she sells in the 50cc class (jonsered is twin line to husqvarna-but might give you different dealer options. i like the 'reds too.)

I think I have a plan.

1. 18" bar
2. 45-55cc
3. Visit as many dealers as possible (No Stihl dealers in my area) If it doesn't feel good in my hand it's not for me.

Or what do you think of getting the back up saw now (use it for a season and then save up for the first string saw?)

Whatever feels good in your hands that you think is affordable. No STIHL Dealers!? That's a bummer.

Hey,
17 Years ago I wanted a saw that I could use on just about anything. I bought my first Stihl, an 026 pro and have never regretted it at all. I have used it on trees that I should have used a Stihl MS 460, but the 026 was all I had at the time. As you can see from my list I have a number of saws, but I just bought the updated version of the Stihl 026 Pro which is the MS 261. Yes it will cost a little more, but I heat with wood in Michigan and we go through about 3 to 5 cord of wood a year. I just ran the heck out of my new MS 261. It runs great, easy on gas and it is light. I filled up my back yard with dead ash trees off my farm while I was home. My boys will cut it, split it and stack it while I am gone.

There was a discussion recently about the best 50 cc saw.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189018-2.htm

This is what Indian Springs said about the Stihl 261
"I have two 261's run the hell out of them in a commercial firewood operation, had a 346xpne and sold it, the 261 does every thing it does and has a superior filtration system and imho a much more useable power band, after it is broke in 15-20 tanks, it really comes to life, has plenty of torque all thru the power band not all on top like a stock 346. We run them as much or more than the 70cc saws as we cut tops most of the time. Best 50cc saw I've run in 35 years. Easy on fuel, smooth as silk, inboard clutch, look at it close there is a reason it weighs 9 oz more than a 346, the saw is built like a tank. To me it is as close as they have come to building a saw in the same class as the old 028/038/044, it is built like a pro saw that it going to be used for commercial use should be.
Buy one you sure won't regret it. I'm seriously considering buying a third one, if we hire another worker, for a nice commercial job we just got a 261 will be what will be bought, we've got plenty of 70cc saws."

That really says alot about the Stihl MS 261. You may get other saws later in life, but you will never forget the Stihl 261. :msp_thumbup:

There are two recommendations I would make for a backup saw. The ideal situation would be to get an exact duplicate of your number 1 saw. For instance if you purchased a new MS290, you could find a used one too and then you would have complete interchangeability of parts, bars, chains, etc.

The other option would be to just pick up a used cheapo saw. These can be had for $40 bucks or so any day of the week. (the kind sold in the box stores that people use for one job and then don't need any more. (realistically you could use a couple of these and get your wood...)

As far as timing on a second saw, all I can say that if you go wood collecting and don't have a second saw, it won't be long before you become enlightened.

The only time I don't have at least two saws with me is if I am in my yard or am using my truck saw which I keep in there for cutting things I didn't plan on cutting.

If you don't have a second saw, at least take a spare bar and chain, an axe, a buck saw (large bow saw) and some wedges. Another very worthwhile tool is a timberjack.

Good luck in the search. Getting some input was a wise move on your part.

Stihl 290 or Husky 455 and go cut. Either one will work for you and you can get support on either one just about anywhere. After you have purchased one, leave this site and never come back and you will be happy. Dang CAD!

Find a good dealer who won't sell you soimething you don't need . If you have little experience with chainsaws don't buy a high strung professional model as your first one (aka 346xp) . Get something mid range you can afford then you'll love the proffessional stuff later as your second or third saw:smile2:

Agree ! 100% I would recommend for instance if we are going with husky here, a 450, or 460. Both great saws not to expensive and in reality will do everything any firewood cutter needs to do, and last a lifetime if you treat them right.

Stihl 290. All the saw a first timer needs, with a 2yr warranty for about $340.

I couldn't agree more. The OP doesn't "need" a pro saw. A Stihl MS290 Farm Boss ($350) will serve him for life. It's the best and biggest bang for the buck in the Stihl line-up. I prefer a 16" bar for less reciprocating mass and better utilization of the 290's 3.8 HP. I've cut a few 28" + trees with it. The Stihl MS250 ($300) would be another excellent choice. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's than all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of these models in use. For 10 years I've been cutting 10 cords a year with a little Stihl MS170. It's been reliable as dirt. Last November I bought a brand new MS 290 Farm Boss. I didn't "need" a new saw. I just "wanted" a new saw.

Having said all of this, you should check out "all" the saw manufactures, and get what "you" feel most comfortable with, and what ever best fits your budget. We're just sharing our personal experiences with our saws to give you some food for thought.

Best to buy from a local chain saw shop as opposed to a big box store. You'll want the support that only a chain saw shop can provide for service and answering your questions. They should tune your new saw. They should show you how to operate the saw, and "demand" that you read the owners manual, TWICE. They should throw in a free carb adjustment after a few hours of use.

For $500, including all tax, I got the MS 290 Farm Boss, 1 extra bar, 3 extra chains, a 6 pack of oil, and a case.

What ever saw you get is gonna be a great saw !

Don <><

Last edited:
I was in the same boat a few years back too and went with a MS361. More than I really needed but I like to have a bit more than needed because I knew eventually I would need it and I managed to scrape up a couple hundred extra bucks. My recomendation is the MS 362 if you can get the extra cash. If you can't then I say the MS 290 like most others have said because it's a great saw with proven reliability when treated right. I haven't heard near as much praise over the years about the Husky 455 but it might serve the purpose just as well. I have an old Husky 266se that was my first real saw and it runs real nice too for being so old and I got that for $200 so ya never know what you can find on the used market. Confused yet? There are so many choices to be had that will work and it all depends on price and alot of the time just stumbling on a good deal at the right moment. In any case get a Husky or a Stihl midrange saw 55 to 60cc's and be good to go. Or pony up a couple hundred extra for a pro model and be very happy. I think you will end up with a pro saw eventually if you hang out in here long enough so why not just skip over mid range saws right into one now?

Photo0037.jpg

I have a lot of saws, but the one that always goes with me is the Stihl ms260 pro. I picked this saw up at a pawn shop for $220 and have used it exclusively since I bought it. I also agree with getting a second saw as I have gotten one stuck before. My second saw is a Stihl ms441 which is expensive but any cheap craigslist or pawn shop saw would do.

I couldn't agree more. The OP doesn't "need" a pro saw. A Stihl MS290 Farm Boss ($350) will serve him for life. It's the best and biggest bang for the buck in the Stihl line-up. I prefer a 16" bar for less reciprocating mass and better utilization of the 290's 3.8 HP. I've cut a few 28" + trees with it. The Stihl MS250 ($300) would be another excellent choice. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's than all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of these models in use. For 10 years I've been cutting 10 cords a year with a little Stihl MS170. It's been reliable as dirt. Last November I bought a brand new MS 290 Farm Boss. I didn't "need" a new saw. I just "wanted" a new saw.

Having said all of this, you should check out "all" the saw manufactures, and get what "you" feel most comfortable with, and what ever best fits your budget. We're just sharing our personal experiences with our saws to give you some food for thought.

Best to buy from a local chain saw shop as opposed to a big box store. You'll want the support that only a chain saw shop can provide for service and answering your questions. They should tune your new saw. They should show you how to operate the saw, and "demand" that you read the owners manual, TWICE. They should throw in a free carb adjustment after a few hours of use.

For $500, including all tax, I got the MS 290 Farm Boss, 1 extra bar, 3 extra chains, a 6 pack of oil, and a case.

What ever saw you get is gonna be a great saw !

Don <><

I like the 16" bar as well. It's worked for everything I've had to cut in the woods.

In reality, anything from a reputable manufacturer in the 50cc to 60cc range will do wonders for you, limited only by your budget.
Do you need a pro saw? Probably not. That you most likely will want one is another matter entirely. Check craigslist from time to time for a deal.

FWIW, I'd say Dolmar 5105, Stihl 261, Echo 500P or Husqvarna 346XP. Take care of it and it will do wonders for you. Saving a few dollars gets you a Dolmar 510, almost pro construction and with proper maintenance will outlast you. In reality the Stihl 290 will most likely do the same, as will a Husky 455.

Decide how much you want to spend then go shopping. The rest is about personal preference. Good luck and have fun! :msp_smile:

Here's what I use. For what little work I do, they do a great job. I have another saw, but only use it in situations where it could be damaged, but it never does. I think it has nine lives.:laugh:
small-saws-only-picture205106.jpg

Thanks Guys.

I found a saw shop not that far from me that deals in all the major brands. Guess what they told me over the phone????????????? They have wood piles behind the store and take you out and test the saws you are looking at. Man thats seems like the cats meow. Plus they seemed super friendly over the phone. FYI the also said a MS290 or Husky 455 18" should fit my needs.

Thanks Guys.

I found a saw shop not that far from me that deals in all the major brands. Guess what they told me over the phone????????????? They have wood piles behind the store and take you out and test the saws you are looking at. Man thats seems like the cats meow. Plus they seemed super friendly over the phone. FYI the also said a MS290 or Husky 455 18" should fit my needs.

Man; that's super! Have at it, brother, and let us know which you like. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back