Need help picking the correct saw for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't beat a dealer like that! I like to badmouth the 290 and 455, just because, but for what they are it's hard to beat them!

do they let you load up the wood when you're done?

let us know what you come home with.

and remember, it ain't over until you understand squish and port... and i'm not talking about cheese and wine. :jester:

not really though, a properly filed chain is the first thing to get good at.

uh oh!

Thanks Guys.

I found a saw shop not that far from me that deals in all the major brands. Guess what they told me over the phone????????????? They have wood piles behind the store and take you out and test the saws you are looking at. Man thats seems like the cats meow. Plus they seemed super friendly over the phone. FYI the also said a MS290 or Husky 455 18" should fit my needs.

----they are gonna let you test cut a buncha saws....you'll go in thinking 290 or 455, walk out with a 441 or 372....

hehehehehe good luck man, have fun!

You might want to consider looking for a Stihl 039 / 390 in the area. Same saw as the 290, same weight, but bigger engine (64 cc I think) and therefore more power. I bought mine for $250 gently used. I now have a 261 as well, which is a nicer pro saw, lighter and similar in hp to the 290, but the 039 is nothing to sneeze at. It's probably a half horse more power. Good value for the money without a weight gain over the 290 you're considering.

Thanks Guys.

I found a saw shop not that far from me that deals in all the major brands. Guess what they told me over the phone????????????? They have wood piles behind the store and take you out and test the saws you are looking at. Man thats seems like the cats meow. Plus they seemed super friendly over the phone. FYI the also said a MS290 or Husky 455 18" should fit my needs.

Think you found gold (a good dealer). Here's the invoice on my Stihl MS290. If you go with the MS290, print out my invoice and use it as "persuasion". Any STihl dealer should be able to match it.

Don <><

View attachment 215218

_slight diversion whilst OP plays at saw shop_

Don,
1st-you have to buy oil to get "extended" warranty?
2th (yeah that's twoth) could you get that "discount" w/o the plastic box?

just curious, as i'll probably never buy a (another) brand new saw (or a plastic box, nttawwt).

_slight diversion whilst OP plays at saw shop_

Don,
1st-you have to buy oil to get "extended" warranty?
2th (yeah that's twoth) could you get that "discount" w/o the plastic box?

just curious, as i'll probably never buy a (another) brand new saw (or a plastic box, nttawwt).

Hi Wade:

1) Yea. Ya gotta buy the oil to get the extended warranty.

2) I'm not sure. But if the carrying case is all you didn't want (and you wanted everything else on my invoice) I think the dealer should be willing to offer some kind of discount. The more ya spend the more leeway the dealers has to play with. If you just wanted the saw and oil, ask the dealer to "throw in" an extra chain at no charge.

Don <><

Last edited:
diversion cont'd

Hi Wade:

1) Yea. Ya gotta buy the oil to get the extended warranty.

2) I'm not sure. But if the carrying case is all you didn't want (and you wanted everything else on my invoice) I think the dealer should be willing to offer some kind of discount. The more ya spend the more leeway the dealers has to play with. If you just wanted the saw and oil, ask the dealer to "throw in" an extra chain at no charge.

Don <><

Yeah, it just looks to me like the most margin is in that injection molded plastic box. I'll wager there's more money in moving it around by the time the dealer gets it than materials and labor in the actual making thereof. nothing wrong with that.

similar (but not) to the note on your invoice is the note on the invoice I just opened:

CUSTOMER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE SAFETY BENEFIT OF A KICKBACK REDUCING BAR AND -OR CHAIN, BUT REQUEST A MORE AGGRESSIVE TYPE.

which initially brought a chuckle as it was from a _pro_ supply house, was for 84 and 98 link 3/8 square-ground chains (with also 8-pin sprokets), and iirc we had no such discussion. but then i think holy ****, is this a state or federal (!!!) law? eff me runnin.

BUT THAT brings up and EXCELLENT tie-in to the OP's thread: While I'd hate to see it reduced to a law, but wouldn't it be a great idea for these pro-shops with cutting areas/demo saws to DEMONSTRATE kickback by inducing it and explaining how to avoid it. They could also show the difference in "safety b/c" kickback and big dog (my term) kickback. This also would illustrate how inertial chain brakes work and are released.

The more a cutter understands it, the better he can appreciate the danger and manage his cutting to avoid it I say. Without being overly afraid of it. Paranoia and fear should be avoided, knowledge and experience gained at the pro-shop would FAR EXCEED these mandated warnings.

Hi All.

I just moved to northern Michigan and am looking for a chainsaw. I have a wood stove in my house and use it to heat at least 95% of the time. I am looking for a saw that will handle my demands of cutting fallen trees (in the spring with cut permit) and pulp cords. I will use it probably two days a week stocking up for next year. If I can't pick the pieces up to load them in my truck I wont cut it, so I guess a 18" bar will work? Also I am on a limited budget so what's the best bang for the buck on the market?

Thanks
Mike

Just go over to the Husky dealer on Thumb Lake road and he will set up up. He has the complete Husky line and is very good on prices. I bought a saw from him and would do it again in a minute.
Zero Gravity

Photo0037.jpg

I have a lot of saws, but the one that always goes with me is the Stihl ms260 pro. I picked this saw up at a pawn shop for $220 and have used it exclusively since I bought it. I also agree with getting a second saw as I have gotten one stuck before. My second saw is a Stihl ms441 which is expensive but any cheap craigslist or pawn shop saw would do.

Good Taste..
Stihl 260, Stihl 441 and Toyota Tacoma..

I would go with the best you can afford, no regrets..
The Stihl 261 with a 18"B&C would be a great one saw package for what you describe..
Dealers usually give good advice, my locals do, get educated as you shop..
Have fun on your selection..
Cheers..

Good Taste..
Stihl 260, Stihl 441 and Toyota Tacoma..

That is elk camp. In the full ford is my neighbor, I cut his wood for him as all he has is a ms170, the toyota belongs to my friend Mike, my tahoe is to the left. The elk were really on the move so left a bit of time to fall some timber.

I would go with the best you can afford, no regrets..
The Stihl 261 with a 18"B&C would be a great one saw package for what you describe..
Dealers usually give good advice, my locals do, get educated as you shop..
Have fun on your selection..
Cheers..

PEKS, from your pic...are you running stock chain that came with the 261? Those are wood shavings, not saw dust, what kind of tree did that come from? Sorry, don't know all my trees from the bark.

PEKS, from your pic...are you running stock chain that came with the 261? Those are wood shavings, not saw dust, what kind of tree did that come from? Sorry, don't know all my trees from the bark.

There are 3 types of wood residue produced from a saw chain, that I know of.
1. sawdust from a dull chain
2. small wood chips produced by sharp chain in hardwoods.
3. wood ribbons, produced from softwoods. They are can be longer than those in the pic, and curly like ribbons.

attachment.php
i've got a ms260 and a mate has got a husky 460 and my 260 spanks his but no matter how you tune it
here hit is with a 18" bar

There are 3 types of wood residue produced from a saw chain, that I know of.
1. sawdust from a dull chain
2. small wood chips produced by sharp chain in hardwoods.
3. wood ribbons, produced from softwoods. They are can be longer than those in the pic, and curly like ribbons.

Those are "noodles" in that pic. He was cutting those rounds down to size, ie lengthwise not crosscut.

Those are "noodles" in that pic. He was cutting those rounds down to size, ie lengthwise not crosscut.

Thanks VTWoodchuck: I'm not familiar with lenght cuts, and noticed in the pic that those noodles looked different than the ribbons I've seen, and was wondering "What kind of wood does that?". :clap:

Latest posts

Back