Need help swapping out cylinder and piston on old MS 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunrise your posts seem you need a little more confidence
it really is not too hard to do and we know ya gots it in ya!
Just get it back and look at the pieces and where they go
and it should not be too intimidating. I can do my 372 in
around thirty minutes or so taking some cleanup time out
of the equation!

Today they left a voicemail that let me know that the saw was ready to be picked up. They said it passed the p/v test, but they left it disassembled since I would need to take it apart again, anyway, to put in the new parts. Now I know you saw aces out there would appreciate that, but if they don't reassemble it, I think I'll have a lot tougher time putting it all back together again if I don't get to break it down, initially, to start my saw education. I have the 440 shop manual (this is a 460), but don't you guys think I should start with an assembled saw?

Sunrise your gonna be pleasantly surprized just how easy replacing your cylinder and piston is. You have nothing to fear at all. Here's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Pick a poster from this site by name and ask him to merely guide you through the process step by step. Ignore all others and let the one poster help you get that saw back together. If I were in your shoes and was alittle leary of this job I would pick a Stihl guy since you are doing a Stihl saw.

I personally would suggest Lakeside to help me if I were you. He's the Stihl guru on this site and I'm certain he would be more than happy to help you if you ask him. So ask him and stop getting info from all over the place. Too many sources just leads you to confusion about the whole job. Lake has all the info you need to get that saw going. Once done your gonna go well hell that wasn't hard at all, you'll see..

Sunrise your gonna be pleasantly surprized just how easy replacing your cylinder and piston is. You have nothing to fear at all. Here's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Pick a poster from this site by name and ask him to merely guide you through the process step by step. Ignore all others and let the one poster help you get that saw back together. If I were in your shoes and was alittle leary of this job I would pick a Stihl guy since you are doing a Stihl saw.

I personally would suggest Lakeside to help me if I were you. He's the Stihl guru on this site and I'm certain he would be more than happy to help you if you ask him. So ask him and stop getting info from all over the place. Too many sources just leads you to confusion about the whole job. Lake has all the info you need to get that saw going. Once done your gonna go well hell that wasn't hard at all, you'll see..

+1

I vote for Tom....

Remember: Everything I know is in the 460 service manual...:rockn:

Seriously,, there a lot of guys that can help, and I'm happy to if you desire.

:agree2:

OK, so you guys think I should just tell the dealer's service guy to give me the disassembled 460 and its parts back, and have at it, right? You're starting to convince me. I will get the needed new parts list, as they see it, and post it here, before I pop for everything. It'll be a bit of time, since I'm waiting for the dealer to get an oil pump in for my 440, and this dealer is clear across town from me, so I don't want to make too many trips. Thanks, again, you saw heroes. I do appreciate it.

OK, here's the parts list they say I need:

Carburetor 88.94
Air Filter 34.32
Cylinder Piston 255.67
Needle Cage 11.53
Cyl. Gasket 4.43
Pickup Body 6.28
Spark Plug 3.08

Total: 432.29

All of the above are for Stihl parts. So, where can I save some money? I know the aftermarket has been suggested on the cylinder and piston. I can rebuild the carburetor, which they've told me is gummed up, so I can knock off around $90. Which aftermarket cylinder and piston is the best deal and best quality? Will I still need to get the Stihl cage, gasket and body, as above (as opposed to aftermarket on those as well), and will that be OK if I get the aftermarket cylinder and piston? Again, this is not my workhorse saw. I use it just on larger take-downs. I'm going to start the rebuild as soon as it slows down, here. I think around Christmas week I'll get to it.

I don't know that you have to have anything on that list but the cylinder kit and gasket since it's not been used that much. Do a search on this forum on big bore kits. I have a crashed 046 that I'm thinking about putting one in. You can buy them in the $120 range from Baileys. Also, are you really sure the cylinder needs replacing? It may just have aluminum galled on to it that can be cleaned off. Sometimes the dealers per Stihl directive cover their butt to the N'th degree. That OEM kit in Canada for $215 is pretty compelling also.

Last edited:
While not all dealers are alike it is possible that all the mentioned parts are in fact needed. Many times the cause is unrelated to the symptom. If your
dealer has a good reputation they probably need replaced. Wow that is
a costly list, careful shopping for good used could save $ check the
dealers rep if you can.
It is possible to save a good chunk by kitting the carb if
it's not trash ask him if that's an option tell him you are
on a budget!

Last edited:
If your
dealer has a good reputation they probably need replaced.

It's easy to confuse members of this forum who have a passion for it or they wouldn't be here, and the average dealer out there who may be a good guy and all that but is basically trying to make money. That is not a fault necessarily.

Cylinder Piston 255.67
Needle Cage 11.53
Cyl. Gasket 4.43

$255 for a $302 cylinder doesn't sound bad to me.
So what if the gasket is $1 more than Lake's price?

The real question I have is on the carb.
If the throttle shaft bore isn't worn sloppy, then it's a question of whether the previous owner buggered the carb beyond your ability to rebuild it with a $6 rubbers and screens kit.

If your serious about saving a few bucks, I'd post some detailed pics of the cylinder. Someone will be able to tell you if it's salvageable. If so, you've saved at least $150...and still have the OEM cylinder.

-New piston and cylinder on ebay is $219.00
-Rebuild the carb or buy from ebay for $30.00-$50.00

Do the work yourself!. It is really easy.

Back to my saw---

OK, here's what I'm getting from Bailey's:

BIG BORE CYLINDER KIT 046/460 NiSi
#BBN 046 $114.95

PISTON RING CLAMP KIT
#10429 $4.49

GASKET KIT FOR STIHL 046
#CRS 046 $8.95

Now, where do I get the carb kit, and the other parts I listed, in my earlier post, above? Do I need to go to Stihl for them, or is there another company that sells those parts for less?

Thanks!

The fuel pickup body they told me I need simply refers to the little terminating line filter that sits in the gas tank, right?

Back