Need help with first saw! New ms290 or Used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, nice score...

Being a MS460 I would look into a dual port muffler for sure if it does not have one...Or simply open up the muffler and retune...

I agree, nice score...

Being a MS460 I would look into a dual port muffler for sure if it does not have one...Or simply open up the muffler and retune...

+1!

And don't be afraid to look into getting it ported, or porting it yourself because of how mechanically inclined you are, particularly with machining, if I correctly remember your mention of that.

My 460 has a lot of guts in the first place, but the guy who has it apart and is porting it said he's never seen a saw as choked down in the intake and exhaust ports as the 460. We're talking BIG wakeup with a port and muff mod.

Frankly, I can't wait to get it back. I've got a 40 inch Doug Fir log from the local log home builder just waiting for that saw. I've had a 28-inch bar buried in hardwood and it handled it before the port/muff mod. Kinda wanna see just what it'll do. At the least I'll get a 32-inch bar and semi skip or full skip chain. :D :D

And again, congrats on the 460. An excellent saw that you will really like running. :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Nice job, I think you made the right decision. I would have given $400 for the 046, so even a better deal on the 460. I would pull the muffler off and take a look, especially if it's raining!

+1!

And don't be afraid to look into getting it ported, or porting it yourself because of how mechanically inclined you are, particularly with machining, if I correctly remember your mention of that.

My 460 has a lot of guts in the first place, but the guy who has it apart and is porting it said he's never seen a saw as choked down in the intake and exhaust ports as the 460. We're talking BIG wakeup with a port and muff mod.

Frankly, I can't wait to get it back. I've got a 40 inch Doug Fir log from the local log home builder just waiting for that saw. I've had a 28-inch bar buried in hardwood and it handled it before the port/muff mod. Kinda wanna see just what it'll do. At the least I'll get a 32-inch bar and semi skip or full skip chain. :D :D

And again, congrats on the 460. An excellent saw that you will really like running. :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for all the respones guys!:cheers:

I spent the better part of my afternoon reading up on porting, muffler mod, etc.. Paid a visit to Baileys site eyeballing that big bore kit...lol

I'm going to bring the saw to work with me tomorrow. First thing I'll do is pull that muffler and check things out. Ill give it a good cleaning which will also allow me to give a full inspection. For now I'll keep it simple and use it.

I was thinking down the road I'll pick up that bb and port that. The muffler mod will be first most likely. I'm fortunate enough to have a full machine shop at my disposal so who knows what the future will bring. :)

My wife is happy I found another hobby to spend lots of money on...ha

Latest posts

Back