Need opinions on trade deal..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak to the gun trade at all but as far as what he believes the saw to be worth I agree $725 is too much. Mine was $600 in about the same cosmetic shape and that was every cent I was willing to pay.

Holy cow is that thing clean! Also, can someone explain "mag rot" as referred to in an earlier post please?

Joseph
Magnesium "rotting", just like it sounds.

Sitting a saw on concrete for years, with all kinds of condensation, water, etc., is not good for the mag case saws

Also referred to as white death.

I'm sure it's to do also with the chemicals in concrete, but the bottom line is, keep them off the floor.

Tell his yeah you'll do it, you meet him up the back 40 and dust him
For punkin' you off then grab the saw and wallet....wait! wait! never mind. I'll stick to Falling procedure advice.

Do you really want an 064 in particular? Or just need a saw and this trade deal happened to pop up?

If you aren't tied to that saw, I bet you could find very nice used MS660's, 385/390xp, dolmar 7900, stihl ms460/461, etc etc that would solve the bigger displacement chainsaw issue. Newer saws with good parts support and not a 20 year old saw with 20 year old problems (regardless of condition...)

Do you really want an 064 in particular? Or just need a saw and this trade deal happened to pop up?

If you aren't tied to that saw, I bet you could find very nice used MS660's, 385/390xp, dolmar 7900, stihl ms460/461, etc etc that would solve the bigger displacement chainsaw issue. Newer saws with good parts support and not a 20 year old saw with 20 year old problems (regardless of condition...)

What part of Vermont?

Ever been to the saw shop at White River Junction?

What part of Vermont?

Ever been to the saw shop at White River Junction?
Northeast. Danville/Cabot area. I'm closer to the Chainsawr and Bplust's place. Haven't ever been to the white river shop. See his saws on craigslist all the time. He's got some real nice stuff but too rich for me.

Had an all rebuilt/restored 288 similar to that 064 awhile back too.

I just happened across it. I wouldn't mind getting something a little lighter and faster than my 82cc PM 800.

Joseph

Also, the trade deal keeps me from being out-of-pocket on something I absolutely don't need and just really want.

Northeast. Danville/Cabot area. I'm closer to the Chainsawr and Bplust's place. Haven't ever been to the white river shop. See his saws on craigslist all the time. He's got some real nice stuff but too rich for me.

Had an all rebuilt/restored 288 similar to that 064 awhile back too.

Yes, it seems a premium price.

I want to check the shop out.

00Y0Y_iZgVomqCBao_600x450.jpg

Does the bucking spike look upside down to anyone else?

The dawg was upside down... You guys are gonna chastise me for this but I went ahead and did the trade. I couldn't get $600 for my Winchester and from all that I have read, $500-$600 would be the going rate on an 064. For me it was all math and wants versus needs. The actual value (what someone is willing to pay) for my Winchester was <$600 and for the mechanical condition of the 064 (160psi, very clean p&c plus brand new b&c) seemed to be in the same ballpark. Plus I didn't need the Winchester and I really wanted the 064. Call it "stupid tax" if you must but an equal priced chainsaw that I will use frequently is worth more to me than a rifle I didn't care for and hardly ever used...

Joseph

00Y0Y_iZgVomqCBao_600x450.jpg

Does the bucking spike look upside down to anyone else?

Yes it does/is. My dad's 044 had the single inside spike upside down for what I'll assume has been forever, up until I put my non skeletized 661 spikes on it. I always wondered why...

The dawg was upside down... You guys are gonna chastise me for this but I went ahead and did the trade. I couldn't get $600 for my Winchester and from all that I have read, $500-$600 would be the going rate on an 064. For me it was all math and wants versus needs. The actual value (what someone is willing to pay) for my Winchester was <$600 and for the mechanical condition of the 064 (160psi, very clean p&c plus brand new b&c) seemed to be in the same ballpark. Plus I didn't need the Winchester and I really wanted the 064. Call it "stupid tax" if you must but an equal priced chainsaw that I will use frequently is worth more to me than a rifle I didn't care for and hardly ever used...

Joseph

No chastising here. You are happy, that is all that matters. It is just "stuff" anyway.

I got a chance to run it today.... Yup, I'm happy. In my world the thing is a beast!

Thanks everyone!

Joseph

You can buy a new Stihl in the $700+ price range that would have a warranty. It wouldn't be a 660 though but would probably do all you need.
So did you give the shotgun also?

Joseph

Latest posts

Back