Need Unbiased Opinion on Buying A Top Handled Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to be a ball buster here but, are you sure you want a top handle?
Top handle saws today are balanced completely different then the old ones.
They're for climbing and one handed use.
You say you have arthritis? Me too. I can tell you that all the top handle saws I can think of have the cylinder pointing straight back at you and vibrate like hell. Also, the placement of the handles so close together give you no leverage. The rear handle saws are ergonomic and well balanced. The cylinders are on top so they don't vibrate as much. They fit in your hands much better. If all you ever used was old top handle Homies, Macs and Poulans...You go modern rear handle and you'll NEVER go back! You'll wonder what the heck they were thinking when they made those things.

I used a home owner MS180 for a few years and loved it. It was quiet, didn't vibrate and was light. I kept it in in my work truck for general purpose use. Not very powerful but better then a bow saw!

Thanks, Poulson.

Here lately, I'm beginning to lean toward a light rear handled saw. As you brought out, they're better balanced and would probably be easier on my wrists.
I've looked at the Stihl MS-180 and Echo CS-370/400 as good possibilities.:cheers:

Top handled saws are superb for ground work in pruning conditions. I finally bought one after borrowing a top handle for a while and I love it on the ground in thick brush where you often need one hand to hold on to a branch with one hand while cutting.

I'm not trying to be a ball buster here but, are you sure you want a top handle?
Top handle saws today are balanced completely different then the old ones.
They're for climbing and one handed use.
You say you have arthritis? Me too. I can tell you that all the top handle saws I can think of have the cylinder pointing straight back at you and vibrate like hell. Also, the placement of the handles so close together give you no leverage. The rear handle saws are ergonomic and well balanced. The cylinders are on top so they don't vibrate as much. They fit in your hands much better. If all you ever used was old top handle Homies, Macs and Poulans...You go modern rear handle and you'll NEVER go back! You'll wonder what the heck they were thinking when they made those things.

I used a home owner MS180 for a few years and loved it. It was quiet, didn't vibrate and was light. I kept it in in my work truck for general purpose use. Not very powerful but better then a bow saw!

1) Not true. Smooth as silk.
2) Not an issue. No saw should be "levered". If you need to do that sharpen the chain.

I have the 338xp and it screams, yet the throttle response jumps from zero to 100. If you don't care about that then buy it.

i use my 192 every day.

i love that saws.i use it 90% of the time i'm in the air.

yes i own a 200 as well but i prefer the 192.

never tried the 435 Husky but I will order one.

the Solo and Dolmar top handles were a joke. Echo..............i don't even thin k I need to go there.

What makes the Dolmar 3410 a joke?

yeah, and the solo? I've heard good stuff on both.

It is really hard to get a good handle on how all the top handles compare. I think they are all mostly pretty close in performance except for the 200T and 338XPT

I want to try them all out though. Top handles have really become my favourites
lately. The only ones that nobody hates are the 200T and 338xpt. all of the others seem to have mixed reviews.

Where's the Dolmar video Mike? Make it a good one and run it with Brad's 200T for comparison while your at it!

Yep those top handle saws are real good on the ground for various tasks like holding branches in one hand and zapping off lengths with the other, trimming hedges and stuff, pruning bushy tree trunks from the ground, cutting up boards, lengths of timber, old fences, pallets for firewood etc..

BUT, here's my tip for anyone and everyone, when cutting one-handed, always always always hold your other arm miles away from the line of the bar. Always always. One foot distance is too close, make it 3 feet. But far better to keep it off-line.

Treat the chainbrake as if it isn't even present. If you get careless and just slightly nudge the tip on something at high revs, the short bar will leap down or up 18 inches in a flash. Same with your body when cutting one-handed, always always always hold the saw out and away, keep your body out of line with the bar. Always always.

And cut deliberately, deliberate doesn't have to mean slow either it means steady and well controlled, don't start jerking and throwing the thing around like a toy, a smooth deliberate technique is less effort, with better control and it's FASTER than the frantic monkey technique

Treat the chainbrake as if it isn't even present. If you get careless and just slightly nudge the tip on something at high revs, the short bar will leap down or up 18 inches in a flash. Same with your body when cutting one-handed, always always always hold the saw out and away, keep your body out of line with the bar. Always always.

+1

I mentioned it upthread, but my only chainsaw injury is a cut from a 192T - a big scar down the side of my index finger and half a finger nail missing. Could have been a lot worse. Eventually, your "free" hand will be in the wrong place, and the saw will kick. I'm more frightened of the 192 than an 075....

read above post.

yeah, and the solo? I've heard good stuff on both.

It is really hard to get a good handle on how all the top handles compare. I think they are all mostly pretty close in performance except for the 200T and 338XPT

I want to try them all out though. Top handles have really become my favourites
lately. The only ones that nobody hates are the 200T and 338xpt. all of the others seem to have mixed reviews.

Where's the Dolmar video Mike? Make it a good one and run it with Brad's 200T for comparison while your at it!

add dealer network sucks.it's rated high for CCs but the power wasn't what i expected. Heavy

bulky as well. Both are still better than an Echo.

add dealer network sucks.it's rated high for CCs but the power wasn't what i expected. Heavy

bulky as well. Both are still better than an Echo.

fair enough. I actually can't argue with that. I can't buy either locally. Closest Dolmar dealer is 800Km. And the only Solo dealer I know of is Bailey's, and then I would be importing from another country. So that's why I ruled them out for myself but I've never so much as smelled either one let alone run them.

The one consistent opinion seems to be that Echo TH saws suck. One guy liked the 360T but modded a fair bit which negates the 5 year warranty anyways

it's unbalanced like the Husky.doesn't have the power of the 200t. it didn't impress me enough to replace my 192 with it .

Are you sure it was the 3410? Dolmar had an older top handle that wasn't well liked. I've ran the 3410 a few times and really liked it, it doesn't have the top end like the 200T, but it has quite a bit of torque for it's size.:cheers:

Are you sure it was the 3410? Dolmar had an older top handle that wasn't well liked. I've ran the 3410 a few times and really liked it, it doesn't have the top end like the 200T, but it has quite a bit of torque for it's size.:cheers:

Still waiting for vids from Mike!

That might actually settle something.

actually..............

fair enough. I actually can't argue with that. I can't buy either locally. Closest Dolmar dealer is 800Km. And the only Solo dealer I know of is Bailey's, and then I would be importing from another country. So that's why I ruled them out for myself but I've never so much as smelled either one let alone run them.

The one consistent opinion seems to be that Echo TH saws suck. One guy liked the 360T but modded a fair bit which negates the 5 year warranty anyways

the Echo aint bad except for the chain adjuster is pure garbage!

I have just hated Echo for years so I'm trying to keep the tradition going.

the old square one?

that was actually a Tanaka if it;s the one I am thinking of.

The saw that got me liking top handles was an Echo 300T that I borrowed from a Buddy for a while. Reliable and slow. The reed valve designs aren't as bad as everyone says in my experience but I don't think any of the new Echo TH saws have reeds either. The trouble with the 360T from what I've read here is a super choked up muffler, really lean carb setting and rev limited. Its like they are using the rev limiter to keep a super lean saw from burning up and adding extra displacement to try to make up for the resulting loss in power. Just my take on it anyways

Back