Negotiating for Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I found one I like... http://www.ramsplitter.com/ModelHV25.html
hv25c.jpg

I email the guy for pricing and thoughts on splitting Elm with it. This is his first answer...

""This is the machine you want if you are splitting elm. This machine is tough enough to split almost anything and will handle many knots in the wood. The price of this machine shipped to you with a Honda Engine and 4 way wedge would be $2095.""

With 4 way wedge too! So I emailed him back asking if he can sell it to me for $1700 or if I can rent that one for a day so I can see if I like it. His response...

""I could sell you this unit for $1800 with a Briggs and Stratton Intek Pro Engine. THis is there top of the line engine but just less expensive than the Honda. We dont have any rentals. Are you local...If you want to pick one up I can sell you the Honda for that price. Our prices include shipping.""

So now my question to you fine folks.... Is this a good deal with the Briggs & Stratton. I'm too far to pick it up.

i've never run a honda engine on any of my splitters, just briggs intek pro.

my old man has run the same 5.5hp brigs on his splitter since 94, i'd say thats a pretty good price with the briggs and wouldn't have a second thought about running it if you're confident on the splitter build/strength.

Is the Horizontal only Model (H25) the same price ??

I personally cannot see any advantage of the Vertical unless you are looking to use it as a deep knee bend exercise machine, or a quick way to collect disability from your back worn out from constantly bending over.

I personally cannot imagine using the Vertical for much more than short periods, or unless forced to by crowded enviornment.

Guess I go along with most reviews and still have to like the Timberwolf for the same $$ or less

http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-log-splitter.php

Is the Horizontal only Model (H25) the same price ??

I personally cannot see any advantage of the Vertical unless you are looking to use it as a deep knee bend exercise machine, or a quick way to collect disability from your back worn out from constantly bending over.

I personally cannot imagine using the Vertical for much more than short periods, or unless forced to by crowded enviornment.

Guess I go along with most reviews and still have to like the Timberwolf for the same $$ or less

http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-log-splitter.php

I agree ! the only use I can see for horizontal is for very large rounds that my teenagers cant lift ! ( have to be really large )
MD

This is why. Even though I chopped them down by hand...it'll make life easier for the next batch of wood I get. I won't have to chop down to manageable size.... Plus you save your back with verticle being that you dont have to lift it onto the horizontal....

100_0838.jpg

i've never run a honda engine on any of my splitters, just briggs intek pro.

my old man has run the same 5.5hp brigs on his splitter since 94, i'd say thats a pretty good price with the briggs and wouldn't have a second thought about running it if you're confident on the splitter build/strength.

Thanks man. I'll take your advice...

Honda GX series is about as good as it gets.

That said, if the Briggs truly is the commercial sleeved cylinder engine it's a very durable workhorse. I've seen the commercial Briggs running generators and trash pumps 24 / 7 for a week straight and never miss a beat.

I wouldn't hesitate saving the money and ordering the Briggs commercial.

Take Care

Looks like a nice unit.... did you by chance contact any local dealers? I saw there are two in CT and one in Mass and a few in NY. Wonder if you could save some money with not paying shipping.... I guess you would have to pay sales tax though.....

Here's my 2 cents. :dizzy: Briggs - Not bad if well maintained. Not as good as the Honda. I go into a place once a week that rebuilds the Briggs by the thousands each year. Talking with the people there. They are not what they used to be on the consumer level. If there is such a thing as a commercial unit then I would look for it. Unfortunately most everything these days has been cheapened up badly. I have a Husky (Speeco) (with a Honda)and I'm very pleased. In retrospect I wish I had purchased the Timerbolf TW-P1 with the log lift and table and 4 way. Not much more and it would have been well worth it. I know someone who has a ramsplitter. He likes it. He may do 2-3 cords per year. I do 20-30. Based on what I have read and seen first hand I don't believe it would work for my needs. Go to the large equipment area and you will see a post that doesn't do well for the ramsplitter. I tried to stay objective. Although I'm now going to an opinion. You get what you pay for! :)

Ramsplitter experience

Cambium,

I can't speak to the engine on a Ramsplitter. But I have had a Ramsplitter for a couple of years, with probably 60 cords through it, and it has worked well. The box beam with 3/8 inch plate on top (instead of H beam) seems fine, with no flex; the welds are better than mine (I used to weld in a fabrication shop), the components (valve, cylinder, pump, motor) are holding up, and can be replaced/repaired easily if needed. A gauge showing pump pressure hardly ever goes over 400-500 pounds pressure.

To my mind, the advantage of the horizontal/vertical model is that the beam is a better working height on the horizontal/ vertical model. The horizontal only model looks lower, with more bending.

I use the four way wedge quite often (it simply slips over the regular wedge). When you take it off, don't drop it on your foot. (I sharpen the splitting wedge and the four way wedge and once it cut my safety shoes to the metal cap.) The four way wedge works fine, causing the pump to downshift momentarily, then come back to full speed. However, you can stack splits on top of each other to resplit so you don't really need it.

The disadvantages to this splitter seem to be it doesn't come with an oil filter (unsure of pro and cons here, it does have a strainer on the return side) and the hoses needed to tied down with electrical cable ties, as they were all over the place. I wish the splitting tables were larger. I wish the beam was a couple inches higher, for a better working height. The hydraulic tank functions as the axle, which means that any bump while transporting it, puts a lot of strain on the welds.

All things considered, I would buy it again. It costs about the same as a TSC splitter, but with better fabrication (mainly welds).

looks too low to the ground.

for horizontal.i have no use for verticle.i like makin' noodles and quartering them up.

Briggs ain't what it used to be.their CS blows.they just screwed me on an 18HP vangaurd.ran for 5 seconds and threw a rod.it has turned into a nightmare.

i say stick with Honda or Subaru/Robin.i have had ZERO issues with both.they seem to have more torque as well.

as much as i hate to say it,my Briggs buying days are over!

I officially now own the homebrew splitter that has been on loan to me from a friend for the last 2 yrs.

Price?

A new Oregon 511AX grinder...bought it for him yesterday. He's as giddy as a kid in a candy store...

Latest posts

Back