New 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What are my chances of coming across a new Husky 288 somewhere? Not the Lite version. I'm not seriously in the market for one right now but, may be soon. Do you think there might be a dealer somewhere who knocked one of the back of a shelf and forgot about it? :rolleyes: Anyhow what do you think my chances are? How do you think they compare to the Stihl 066?

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks Rich, when I'm ready to "do it" I'll look the distributor up. Any idea what it might sell for? My younger brother has an old 288 that I haven't had a chance to run. He's always said it was a great saw...I finally realized that after being on this site for a while...I guess I should have listen to him!!!!

Jeff

Why not the 288lite? I think I asked the question on AS once what was the better saw the 385xp or 288xplite. And If I remember at the end of the discussion KD said to go with the 288lite.

I realize they don't manufacture the regular 288 any longer, that's why I was wondering if there was a chance somebody, somewhere might have a "new" 288 available. What's the difference between the 288 Lite and the 288? Other than the weight.

Jeff

The 2186 Jonsered and the Husky 385 are about equal, in a nice combination of weight and power.

Why knock yourself out to get an out of date model?

P.S. I was also thinking that since this was fairly limited in production quantities, that you might run into scarcer parts supplies down hte road.

Last edited:
I have a 288xplite, that I am trying to rebuild now for the same reason. I plan on trying it out for a small amount of milling, but will probly use it mostly for clearing. So far it is torn completely down, and I am trying to come up with my list of parts-hopeing that I run into a junk one for some of my bigger parts that are needed. So far I like what I see, and can't wait to see some chips flying

Tony, I've heard the 385 is quite a saw (especially when modified)....I guess the reason I'm interested in an out dated saw is that it has a pretty good proven track record. I don't know maybe I just want to be different!!! :)

Jeff

The only difference between the 288xps and the lite model is the lite don't come with that big spring on the front, personally i didn't like it on there anyway, 288s were top notch wore out a many of em, the 66mag will out cut it bad though.

According to the latest Logger's World, Madsen's is having a sale on the last of their 288's.

Best,

Gardiner

288 Lite

Yeah, there's a dealer in Walterboro, SC who has over 20 brand new 288 Lites remaining--says local guys like them a lot.

Best,

Gardiner

husky 288

Hello jeff
My local husky dealer has 2 288's in stock. give me a call or e- mail me if you cant find any closer. great saw, i've got a few loggers that think they are better than thier 385 husky'
ken
[email protected]
530-589-2744

Thanks Ken, I just sent you an e-mail. I'm sure you've been asked (prolly by me) but I'm going to ask again...in your opinion, which saw is the better stock saw, the 288 or the 066? Which saw could you get more out of with a "woods" modification?

Thanks, Jeff

Charleston

Cliff-1972,

I am right downtown Charleston where all the tourists are. I don't post here much so I'm not listed as an "MVP," but I enjoy reading the posts and have followed the group along from the Tool Shed when that was the hot spot some time ago.

I am fortunate to have in-laws with a country place so that's where I do my cutting, etc. Just a weekend warrior, I suppose. I noticed you like performance diesels--we run both an F-550 (stock) and and F-350 (slightly modded) in our business. We do quite a bit of work up you way--shoot me an email if you'd ever like to get together.

Best,

Gardiner

Lamboll,I'll do that.What kind of business do y'all have?I am at the "Mill" as it is called.Yeah,I am into modifing diesel along with anything else that has a engine:D .I have been looking at getting a F550 4X4.I to am a weekend warrior,but also cut tree on the side when some come up.Mostly for friends or their friends.

Latest posts

Back