New 346xp Did I make a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut with the brother in law run it a bit back. Had to try out my new Farmi 351P skidding winch. He was all wound up about chainsaw wars. He wanted to run his MS260 against the "Green Mamba" his Poulan Forester 3400. I put both of these saws together for him. A bit more actual port work on the Mamba, but nothing extravagant. Anyhow, the Mamba won hands down over the Stihl, but the 346xp was in a different league. It actually scared him at first with the power to weight. This is stock with muff mod and it's on the 3rd or 4th tank now. I might do teh unlimited coil and some porting/squish work yet, but undecided. It just runs so good and is pretty decent on gas. I chunked enough hard dry red oak to fill 4 of my 4x4.5' log racks on a single tank.

I left the 372 back in the truck that day. Saving it for the 20"+ stuff where it really shines.

346xp

I'm kinda getting nervous now. Wondering if I'll regret this move. You see running this saw (muff mod only) tends to make my other saws jealous and seemingly obsolete in anything normal firewood size. Sure teh 372 is better for felling and bucking big stuff, but cutting red oak and a buddies log pile we both had to assk why a guy would need anything more for the task at hand? And this was with factory chain that needs the rakers trimmed just a bit to get past the conservative setting...

nuthin cuts faster than 346xp have 2 want one more

346xp is the only firewood saw I need, for 15+ cords a year. I bought a used 357xp to try a larger saw, but don't need it. Bought another 346xp because I like the old one so much. They are great saws! :)

I cut with the brother in law run it a bit back. Had to try out my new Farmi 351P skidding winch. He was all wound up about chainsaw wars. He wanted to run his MS260 against the "Green Mamba" his Poulan Forester 3400. I put both of these saws together for him. A bit more actual port work on the Mamba, but nothing extravagant. Anyhow, the Mamba won hands down over the Stihl, but the 346xp was in a different league. It actually scared him at first with the power to weight. This is stock with muff mod and it's on the 3rd or 4th tank now. I might do teh unlimited coil and some porting/squish work yet, but undecided. It just runs so good and is pretty decent on gas. I chunked enough hard dry red oak to fill 4 of my 4x4.5' log racks on a single tank.

I left the 372 back in the truck that day. Saving it for the 20"+ stuff where it really shines.

Ya know, I would do the unlimited coil take out the gasket widen the ports, thats what was done to mine and she will really,really scream. I may be gettin some more fine tuning done to him soon..............

I have a 372 which is actually newer then my 346. That said, I ALWAYS pick up the 346 first. Just love that saw! (As do my Stihl lovin buddies!) Always asking to run it!

id sure say you did..
could have had about 4 of these for the same cost of that overpriced, glorified poulan you just bought
images

He bought the updated poulan, I guess you could call it their elite brand.

Ya know, I would do the unlimited coil take out the gasket widen the ports, thats what was done to mine and she will really,really scream. I may be gettin some more fine tuning done to him soon..............

I'll most likely be doing this to my new one. Even though it has plenty of speed and power, more would be nice. :D

I'm porting the 357 first though. Got to learn on something. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll most likely be doing this to my new one. Even though it has plenty of speed and power, more would be nice. :D

I'm porting the 357 first though. Got to learn on something. :hmm3grin2orange:

Doing your own porting? Good for you Don! Ill bet you do a fine job! But man, Im tellin ya when those things were done to my 346 it was day and night difference. You will love it. Now, is the 357 an X-tork motor? Im thinkin it is not.....but at any rate good luck with it. I really think you be surprised how much you like a ported saw!

Doing your own porting? Good for you Don! Ill bet you do a fine job! But man, Im tellin ya when those things were done to my 346 it was day and night difference. You will love it. Now, is the 357 an X-tork motor? Im thinkin it is not.....but at any rate good luck with it. I really think you be surprised how much you like a ported saw!
No, the 357 isn't X-Torq. It's very similar in design to the 346, just larger.

I'll get to working on one of these saws soon :)

Nope. 346xp is the stuff for most tasks I deal with. I keep liking the 95vp chain that came with it more and more. It's pretty fast and stays sharp a long time.

Now the 372 does come out when the wood gets big but the 346 is just so handy. A good friend of mine has a 026 that is a great running saw but I wouldn't trade.

Don

I have two ne 346s one with gasket and one with out very suprised by the diff. Its hard to pic up the one with the gasket if the other ones around both have muff mod. Like someone said 346ne and 372xpw imo r the most impressive stock saws I have ever ran from my 088 down to my 200t

congrats on the new saw - I would predict that your 345 and 359 won't be seeing too much use from now on!

I love my 346xp, it is the perfect saw for 75% of the work I do. Would love a 372xp, but for the time being my 365 will do! When I get the time/money it will become a 372xp, but that's a little way off yet...

More than 75% here, probably 90%+ - there simply isn't any real competition in the 50cc class! :clap::clap:

Back