new b neads info alaskan sawmil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well right now its not in the budget i am only cutting a few inches off no bigger then 12in log to make too flat spots to d crease chinking joints and in crease r value . the 029 seams to b working great for this it dosn't bog down that much and if it does i just slow it down a bit i am sure iv'e got a lot to learn . but ill find a good deal on a good saw some time i am in no real hurry as i figure it will take me at least 2 years to build a small cabin 24 x30 . i am still in proses of gathering other building materials . and i have talked to a guy that owns a mill and he is willing to cut the lumber for me . i have lots of poplar on my property . what is the going price per board foot . or a reasonable price ill hall timber to him so he can mill at home .

well right now its not in the budget i am only cutting a few inches off no bigger then 12in log to make too flat spots to d crease chinking joints and in crease r value . the 029 seams to b working great for this it dosn't bog down that much and if it does i just slow it down a bit i am sure iv'e got a lot to learn . but ill find a good deal on a good saw some time i am in no real hurry as i figure it will take me at least 2 years to build a small cabin 24 x30 . i am still in proses of gathering other building materials . and i have talked to a guy that owns a mill and he is willing to cut the lumber for me . i have lots of poplar on my property . what is the going price per board foot . or a reasonable price ill hall timber to him so he can mill at home .

I've used my Husky 50, which is of similar size to your 029, to make cuts up to 6" wide, and while it pales in comparison to the big saws, it'll get your job done with a little extra time and effort. Just keep the chain nice and sharp, maybe have a couple extras on hand so you don't have to interrupt your work to sharpen. And if you haven't considered opening up the muffler on that 029 yet, you should - it'll give you a BIG performance gain, especially for milling. As for lumber prices, I'm not really sure, but at current market values (crap) I couldn't imagine paying more than a couple bucks per stud, if that.

I guess if it gets your job done for now, and can't afford a big boy now. Just go with what you got. I'm just used to milling with 30" of bar buried in the wood, and with that I can bog down a 394 fairly easy. Dam I need a bigger saw.

Latest posts

Back