new chain...will it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
I know, I know, wrong forum to post this... but the chainsaw forum has soooo much posting that anything new quickly gets buried and never seen again, and I can't stand the type of jabbering over there, and I prefer my firewood buddies anyhow!!

For Christmas, my wife got me the following setup for my Husky 359, which currently has 3/8 x .050 24".

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...NK 20 SJ50

When I initially searched for a 20" bar/chain combo, there was only this narrow kerf setup. In the list of apllicable saws, it clearly lists Husky 359 with 3/8 pitch.
Now I've got the thing in my hands, and notice it's a .325" pitch. Went back to online description and sure enough, says it fits only .325 sprockets and also 3/8!!!

Can the sprocket really fit both .325 and .375? I sorta wrapped the chain around the drive sprocket and the driven teeth appear to not bind or ride up in the sprocket.

Is the bar itself different for "narrow kerf"? Could I use a regular 3/8 x .050 chain on it?

I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to buy more than I have to, but certainly willing to buy another chain if it'll fit the bar, but certainly don't want to change drive sprocket merely to match this one bar/chain!

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've never tried it. :dunno:

I know there is a difference between my Pro Mac 4600's 20" micro lite pro bar's roller tip that uses 95P (.325 narrow kerf) and the 20" bar on my Poulan that uses 33SL (.325). Enough difference that it binds with the 33SL on the Mac. Never tried any 72 on the Mac I didnt think it would fit the drive sprocket. Hmmmm

I know you can't use 3/8 lowprofile (91VX/VP) chain on it because of the smaller drivelinks but it might come close to working for bigger chain like Oregon 72 with the bigger drive links. Or like they say "works for both" narrow kerf .325" or 3/8" (non-lowprofile).

If they are the same gauge chain , isnt binding on the roller and the roller tip is keeping the chain from dragging on the rails at the tip I'd use it for firewood.

Post back if you decide to use it and let us know. I'm always interested in knowing what might fit that doesn't show up in the cross refferences.

Last edited:
Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
pretty much figured on that...but will a "regular" chain fit on the "narrow kerf" bar?

Yep I'd say a regular chain will fit on your narrow kerf bar as they are both .50 gauge. Just make sure that the drive links are not significantly longer on the regular chain (so that the chain seats completely into the bar. The narrow kerf bar and chain set-ups are always .325 chain. They work well and give you a bit more power for the size bar. Not sure if that's worth the hassle of changing out the rim/spur every time you want too use your 24" bar though but IMO a 20" is as big as I'd go on that saw. For cutting hardwood firewood in your area I'd use the 20" and .325 narrow kerf or send it back and trade for an 18" 3/8's .50. Perfect for a 359cutting maple!:greenchainsaw:
PS: Opps sorry I thought you were in Upstate NY? Cali softwood different deal. In that case see if it works with the 3/8 .50 or send it back for a 20" 3/8 .50. :cheers:

Last edited:
cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
I had initial hopes of it working because the chain fit into a drive sprocket from an old Echo I acquired, which had a 3/8 chain on it, PO said that was all he ever used, but it had 70 teeth and full bar extension gave at least an inch of chain slack...maybe a clue wrong chain to begin with.

Pulled old bar off Husky and the drive sprocket is bigger, so more effect from chain difference, definitely won't work. Nor does a 3/8 chain go around the tip sprocket of the .325....of course...duh.

I'm thinking of modifying the new bar's holes to fit the old echo 452vl which needs a bar and chain...if that works, problem solved!

Another problem is the box and shipping label and receipt all got thrown away, and now the product packaging is now opened up....guess I could try to call Bailey's when they open.

What was that quote? There's never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time?

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
CityEvader, I originally read only one question thinking that both were related.
BTW The link didn't work but I think this is what you were looking at an had in your hands , clicky.

I know, I know, wrong forum to post this... but the chainsaw forum has soooo much posting that anything new quickly gets buried and never seen again, and I can't stand the type of jabbering over there, and I prefer my firewood buddies anyhow!!

For Christmas, my wife got me the following setup for my Husky 359, which currently has 3/8 x .050 24".

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...NK 20 SJ50

When I initially searched for a 20" bar/chain combo, there was only this narrow kerf setup. In the list of apllicable saws, it clearly lists Husky 359 with 3/8 pitch.
Now I've got the thing in my hands, and notice it's a .325" pitch. Went back to online description and sure enough, says it fits only .325 sprockets and also 3/8!!!

1. Can the sprocket really fit both .325 and .375? I sorta wrapped the chain around the drive sprocket and the driven teeth appear to not bind or ride up in the sprocket.
  2. Is the bar itself different for "narrow kerf"? Could I use a regular 3/8 x .050 chain on it?

I'm a cheap SOB and don't want to buy more than I have to, but certainly willing to buy another chain if it'll fit the bar, but certainly don't want to change drive sprocket merely to match this one bar/chain!

As Haywire Haywood pointed out ,
Nope, it's one or the other. No interchanging them.

Ian

The bar (tip) IS different for a narrow kerf system. The 'fingers' on the roller tip are wider for 20NK/95VP than they are for K1L/33SL. The drive links on the narrow kerf chain are smaller than for the standard large kerf saws. They might be wide enough for standard 3/8" saw chain to run over it without binding or riding the rails at the tip like a hardnosed bar.

Thanks for posting back what you found out and decided to go with. It sounds like trying to use that bar will be a waste of the chain unless you decide to put on a 0.325 drive sprocket too. Then it sounds like a hassle trying to keep it straight.

:cheers:

cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Before I could even call Bailey's, I get a response from the buried first post in the chainsaw forum. How is this for customer service, coming to me first to resolve an issue. He responds:

Howdy,
I see what you're talking about on the application listings. We were attempting to inform people what those model saws normally come with. I think it's too much information and leads to confusion. We will remove the added pitch information to lessen the confusion. We will certainly take that bar and chain back as long as it isn't used (we'll pay return shipping). There isn't a 3/8 pitch narrow kerf set up for your application.
Gregg

Grande Dog
Chainsaw Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to buy things from them from now on...my first purchase was a non-cat muffler. They've got a new regular customer now.

Latest posts