New chains cut like a knife thru butter-how to keep them that way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMPOSSIBLE!!
I doesn't happen!!! Just like that new car smell... nothing like the real McCoy!!!

It would be interesting to know what the manufacturers are going for with new chain. Would a razor sharp cutter edge chip during assembly, packaging, shipping? Is the stock edge designed to hold up longer for 'average' users who do not 'maintain' an edge? A lot of high end woodworking tools (plane blades, chisels, etc.) are shipped in a 'ready-to-hone' condition, versus 'scary-sharp'.

Philbert (not the sharpest tool in the drawer, either)

It would be interesting to know what the manufacturers are going for with new chain. Would a razor sharp cutter edge chip during assembly, packaging, shipping? Is the stock edge designed to hold up longer for 'average' users who do not 'maintain' an edge? A lot of high end woodworking tools (plane blades, chisels, etc.) are shipped in a 'ready-to-hone' condition, versus 'scary-sharp'.

Philbert (not the sharpest tool in the drawer, either)

you more or less summed it up here ,there is no one right way to sharpen a chain ,off the roll new is a compromise that cuts "ok" but holds a sharp edge longer ,the sharper you make it also means it may dull faster due to the thinner cutting edge ,another compromise ,i would rather have a smile on my face every cut i make though and sacrifice some longevity ,and have to swap chains more often then cut with a mediocre tool

also some think the square chain i run takes longer to file ,i do not think it takes any longer if much anyways ,3-4 short swipes and a cutter can be touched up real nice here is a bad demo vid of sharpening square i did a while back ,it gives the basic idea of filing square ,but i was doing it one handed to video it ,i normally hold my left hand on the chain to stop file chatter ,this file was not the sharpest either

you more or less summed it up here ,there is no one right way to sharpen a chain ,off the roll new is a compromise that cuts "ok" but holds a sharp edge longer ,the sharper you make it also means it may dull faster due to the thinner cutting edge ,another compromise ,i would rather have a smile on my face every cut i make though and sacrifice some longevity ,and have to swap chains more often then cut with a mediocre tool

also some think the square chain i run takes longer to file ,i do not think it takes any longer if much anyways ,3-4 short swipes and a cutter can be touched up real nice here is a bad demo vid of sharpening square i did a while back ,it gives the basic idea of filing square ,but i was doing it one handed to video it ,i normally hold my left hand on the chain to stop file chatter ,this file was not the sharpest either

Thanks for than info, square filing is so foreign to most of us. What make chain do you generally prefer? Also, is that skip chain?

Thanks.

That's semi skip there. I can't tell if it's stihl or Oregon in the video. Oregon is easier to file since its not as hard as stihl chain.

Thanks for than info, square filing is so foreign to most of us. What make chain do you generally prefer? Also, is that skip chain?

Thanks.

i use semi skip most of the time ,oregon or stihl ,the stihl chain is a little harder so may be harder to learn on ,if i am bucking a lot of bigger rounds i will swap out to a full skip ,i run a 32 inch bar most of the time and the full skip helps clear the chips better in fir and cedar i cut ,the full skip also helps power a little with a longer bar ,smaller stuff or if i am doing more limbing the semi skip seems to work better as it is a little less grabby on limbs ,if bore cutting i find the semi skip a little smoother due to the extra cutters ,i also do not go overboard on the rakers like i used to ,seems like ,025 is a happy spot for me ,chips are a little smaller but my chain speed is better making it cut faster ,if the chain is dialed in right ,you can set it on a log and the weight of the saw will self feed it through without forcing with the dogs

That's semi skip there. I can't tell if it's stihl or Oregon in the video. Oregon is easier to file since its not as hard as stihl chain.

It is oregon semi skip ,it was cheaper to buy a roll of that brand so i got roll of it ,i think i got 5-6 free chains buying a roll vs the saw shop individual chains

Regardless of merits, filing outside/in just makes my teeth hurt!!!!

There's really no way to square file inside out.

Not to ask a dumb question Mike, (as I've yet to venture into Square chain), but why would inside-out be different than outside-in relative to difficulty? I'm not stirring the pot, Just trying to get educated...

Not to ask a dumb question Mike, (as I've yet to venture into Square chain), but why would inside-out be different than outside-in relative to difficulty? I'm not stirring the pot, Just trying to get educated...

You're pushing up on the chain for one. You're going to run your hand into the bar or jig also.

This is a good example that just because something is on the internet doesn't mean it's a good idea. Besides his apparent lack of being able to sharpen a chain with a "filled up" round file, his felling skills could use some refining. Yikes!

We've all had a tree sit back on our bar in a felling cut but it certainly isn't part of the normal process. It shows us we did something wrong.
Yeah just ask Brad!!!

Actually, sharpening outside in is the way you would sharpen a knife or an axe. Makes sense to me.

Has anyone used Stihl RSLK? Why are they using skip (full or half) with the square file cut?

The Stihl website warns it is only for "Trained Professionals" with "Extraordinary Cutting Needs". Sounds perfect!

I may have to try some of this stuff.

You're pushing up on the chain for one. You're going to run your hand into the bar or jig also.
I have dabbled some with square filing by pulling the file rather than pushing which avoids the bar ( I hold the chain) I do same when regular filing, seems to avoid some of my rocking issues. I don't claim to be good at it, just trying new stuff

Actually, sharpening outside in is the way you would sharpen a knife or an axe. Makes sense to me.

Has anyone used Stihl RSLK? Why are they using skip (full or half) with the square file cut?

The Stihl website warns it is only for "Trained Professionals" with "Extraordinary Cutting Needs". Sounds perfect!

I may have to try some of this stuff.

I've run a couple rolls of it. It's a lot to square file.

Back