New Chainsaw Chaps - Cut Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepNJesse

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
B_Turner, TRI955, cjcocn, jra1100 and I donated to the pot and bought a new set of Labonville 6ply chaps for some testing. Here are the facts:

New 6 ply chaps
Stihl 038 Mag w/ 25" bar
Freshly square ground chain - Razor Sharp!

Top bar stopped the chain at WOT with only a small cut through the back side of the chaps.

Bottom side at WOT stopped right away with an even smaller cut though the back side of the chaps.

Definely worth wearing the correct protective gear!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2L19BCIQmw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2L19BCIQmw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUcjgBHD4A8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUcjgBHD4A8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That makes me feel better about getting my set of Labonville chaps a month ago.

I will show these videos to my wife. She will be running a saw soon and this will be good footage regarding some of the dangers of running a chainsaw.

Thanks again for taking the time to do the test, video, and uploading .... and cleaning the fibers out of your saw afterward!

:cheers:

Nice job. Thanks for posting it.
How'd the tree look ?

Nice demo, opens your eyes.

OK now for FleaBay, where does the bidding start for the
"Nearly New, Never Worn, Factory Seconds, Slightly Scuffed, Guaranteed to work" Chaps???

One aspect of the test vs other tests was the chain was as sharp as realisticly possible. That was part of my motivation to see it happen.

I knew from experience that fresh square sliced better than round, so I wanted to know if it would breach the chaps.

It did (barely), but I am very impressed with how well the chaps protected.

I found the test very interesting and worthwhile! A success.

Thanks again Jesse for all the efforts (including dealing with the fibers both in your saw and tip).

Looks like a set for me as well. With that much protection with the 6-ply, is the 10-ply a necessity? I know that there is no limit for personal protection, not trying to take a cheap way out but if the 6-ply does that well, only thing i'm contemplating is the heat with the 10-ply...gets humid and nasty here in VA.

If the 10-ply isn't much more, then I will surely go with a 10-ply.

After seeing these vids and the injury on the other thread, it's a no-brainer. I'll go out and knock down a 6" little oak about 30' tall but i'm not gonna fire it up again after seeing how fast things can go wrong...you are literally a goner before you realize you were cut.

Well done guys. I think the fact that you drove the bar into the chaps was a bit more realistic that tests which show the chain just touching the chaps although the latter is probably the most likely incident.

If you had access to an electric CS that would be interesting as these are supposed to just keep going.

If the 10-ply isn't much more, then I will surely go with a 10-ply.

Just be aware that the 10 ply are bulkier/stiffer and take longer to get pliable. This will very slightly increase the risk in having an incident to start with.

I'm wearing 6 ply for milling and 10 ply for other stuff.

Last edited:
I would like to thank ya'll for this video. I am a firm believer in chaps. Was clearing around a pond and saw caught a snag and bar come at me and hit on my thigh. Was not runnin WOT but still scary. Without them I would have most likely died laying right there on the ground because it would have hit a artery. I do not cut without my chaps. Because accidents happen no how much experience you may have.

I think you should offer to sell that to the company!
It's worth several new pair of chaps, at least!!

i ruined many pairs of pants with close calls before I got smart enough to buy good chaps. My chain has only hit my husy chaps once and they seized the chan before I knew what happens. Also, on a side note, not only does PPE keep me safe in case of accidents, but hen I put on my gear My mind set changes to a more safety conscious one. Does this happen to anybody else? GREAT VIDS

The great thing about these videos is that it just goes to show how absolutely important it is to wear chaps when using a chainsaw. Really the only problem we saw with the test was exactly how the chaps were cut. When testing chaps you are suppose to make one swift motion (a sudden impact) with the chainsaw. This video shows him slowly grazing the chaps with applied pressure. When someone has an accident with a saw it most likely won't be a slow grazing motion. This is most likely why he got the cut threw on the chaps. Rest assured that we are in compliance with all safety laws and our chaps are tested by professionals on a regular basis. Thanks for posting the videos!

- Drea

The great thing about these videos is that it just goes to show how absolutely important it is to wear chaps when using a chainsaw. Really the only problem we saw with the test was exactly how the chaps were cut. When testing chaps you are suppose to make one swift motion (a sudden impact) with the chainsaw. This video shows him slowly grazing the chaps with applied pressure. When someone has an accident with a saw it most likely won't be a slow grazing motion. This is most likely why he got the cut threw on the chaps. Rest assured that we are in compliance with all safety laws and our chaps are tested by professionals on a regular basis. Thanks for posting the videos!

- Drea

First, did you see the second vid?

Some chain accidents are just grazes where the operator doesn't even realize their chain has made contact.

The standard promo vid shows the saw taking a quick bit of the chaps right near the dogs. That is only one type of chain leg accident.

In my mind the main thing different in this test from the typical test is that those test using round ground chain which tends to tear rather than slice, thus pulling fibers very well.

I was curious about testing a freshly sharpened square ground chain (which is what some of us use) which slices much much more effectively.

So while I disagree with your point of contestation on typical accidents, I am still favorably impressed with the performance of the chaps considering. I provided that chain, and I know how sharp it was - a leg eating machine.

I currently use and will continue to buy and use Labonville chaps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back