New chaps prefrences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby52050

Reaction score
I am looking for a new pair of chaps, and have very little experience with them. The only pair I have work are elvex, and these were a little short on me. I will need something about 36” total ( 31” inseam). I usually run a ms290, however do on occasion run a ms460. I cut firewood primarialy, and this is more of a hobby than a job. That said, I’d spend up to around $150 for a nice set. I am from iowa, and the weather would be from around 20 to 70 degrees when I use them. Typically for felling I carry 2 or 3 wedges with me, so a pocket or add on pouch would be great.

Elvex, Labonville, swedpro, weckwort all look appealing, and I would consider others as well.

I just bought two pair from Northern tools. Both seem plenty well made to do the job. Northern is a high volume shop, their call centers, customer service, and shipping are pretty decent. Prices are very low; sometimes quality is too.

Cheaper, but are much thicker; plenty good enough: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304965_200304965
The lower leg straps do not tie up short enough, and they are a loose fit.

Lighter, better straps, probably will last longer: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395705_200395705

I like Husqvarna forestry accessories; they just seem better than everyone else's.

Bought the Labonville chaps. Price was right; seem to be well made; comfortable; easy to put on; and while I haven't tested them myself yet, the online videos and testimonials seem to say they work.

I am looking for a new pair of chaps, and have very little experience with them. The only pair I have work are elvex, and these were a little short on me. I will need something about 36” total ( 31” inseam). I usually run a ms290, however do on occasion run a ms460. I cut firewood primarialy, and this is more of a hobby than a job. That said, I’d spend up to around $150 for a nice set. I am from iowa, and the weather would be from around 20 to 70 degrees when I use them. Typically for felling I carry 2 or 3 wedges with me, so a pocket or add on pouch would be great.

Elvex, Labonville, swedpro, weckwort all look appealing, and I would consider others as well.

Measure from the belt line to the top of the boot. (Not the inseam)

Many good brands to chose from. There are wedge pouches available for around $5.00 I also wear some clip on suspenders with mine to help keep them from sliding down while I work.

I just received a set of Labonville full wrap chaps and I'm very impressed with the quality & workmanship. Price was right through Bailey's.

I got the 40" chaps. My actual measurement was in between sizes, but from what I've read and Labonville's recommendations, I went with the longer size and I'm glad I did.

Another vote for the Labonville chaps. I have the full wrap version, and I really like 'em.

I wear a 32" inseam on my pants, and I ordered the XL (40") chaps. The length turned out to be right on for me.

Update on chaps

sorry this took so long. i only cut on the side for firewood and once in a while for neighbors when they have a "tricky" one. i ended up buying chaps from my sthil dealer.
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/chain-saw-wrap-around-chaps.html
they cost $109 for full wrap 7 layer with a pocket in the left leg, in orange.
after some research i think they are made bey swedpro. they have 4 bucklesper leg, and were the 40"( i have a 32" inseam, and the 36 or 37, cant remember which, were too short). i tried several brands on. i did not get to see a set of labs in person, so i cannot say what i thought of those. i looked @ elvex (these fit rather clumsy, and were not a wrap design), work safe( cost a lil less, no pocket, apron design was all that was available at norther tool when i called), some generic brand at a lowes store ('nuff said there). it was in mid 70's about a week ago here. first real test on a warmer day ive had. they seemed to breathe pretty well. they did not hang up on me like i was worried about when moving around. i will be getting a wedge pouch, as i usually try to carry 2 or 3. no incidents involving durability (thank god).

the wrapping says to wash them before using them, and can be machine dryed up to something like 125 degrees. this is nice so i dont have to worry about the kevlar break down with cleanings.

***Note for Firemen.... it says these ARE flammable.****

if you have any questions or what not just let me know, id be happy to answer anything else you would like to know about them.

the wrapping says to wash them before using them, and can be machine dryed up to something like 125 degrees. this is nice so i dont have to worry about the kevlar break down with cleanings.

if you have any questions or what not just let me know, id be happy to answer anything else you would like to know about them.

Cleanings?????? Who washes chaps (besides you). Besides, the more oil and gas on the chaps, the more waterproof they are.

I'm going to be needing a new set soon myself. Right now I have the PGI Sawbuck chaps and like them a lot.

I have the extended version or "wrap" set in orange and want to get another but can only find them in green. The cheapest I could find them was $100 which is $40 more than the Labonvilles but I really like the way they fit.

Cleanings?????? Who washes chaps (besides you). Besides, the more oil and gas on the chaps, the more waterproof they are.

Maybe waterproof.. but all the chainsaw training courses I have seen over the years state that oil and gas will compromise the abilty to stop a chain in an accident. Now I am not sure.. but I try to not get any gasoline or oil on my chaps.. or pants.

Back