New climber advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I forgot to mention about split tails.

Although I like the ease of having a spliced eye on it, I always tie into my biner with a fisherman's. The reason being that the fisherman's cinches tight onto the biner keeping it pointing up when being loaded, which helps prevent side loading.

Something I forgot to mention about split tails.

Although I like the ease of having a spliced eye on it, I always tie into my biner with a fisherman's. The reason being that the fisherman's cinches tight onto the biner keeping it pointing up when being loaded, which helps prevent side loading.

Nice bit of info. Thanks

is the 5 coil prussik better than the 4 coil? i tied a 4 coil while trying to tie a taughtline and let me tell you, it doesnt grab. not in that situation anyways. so always check check and double check your knots.

I climbed on 4 coils when I weighed 165#. That was many moons ago. 5 coils worked well for me when I filled out and got bigger.

And as has been mentioned, you can use 4 coiles with the Blake's or tautline, but the open prussic always ran better for me.

I'm Good. Been busy.

Glad to hear I'm headed in the right direction as far as the Bee Line! How you been Fishercat? What hitch are you using? I'm about ready to gear up for myself and its a lot of decisions with all the stuff that's available on the market.....

I just use a blakes hitch on a split tail on 1/2" Arbormaster with a 1/2" split tail. I tried the VT and all those fancy set ups and I didn't like them. I think it was because of my weight. They either slipped or locked up on me. I got tired of fighting with them and went back to what worked for me. I want to try the XT hitch one day when I find the tread again. Call me if you need any pointers or help.

Last edited:
I just use a blakes hitch on a split tail on 1/2" Arbormaster with a 1/2" split tail. I tried the VT and all those fancy set ups and I didn't like them. I think it was because of my weight. They either slipped or locked up on me. I got tired of fighting with them and went back to what worked for me. I want to try the XT hitch one day when I find the tread again. Call me if you need any pointers or help.

Thanks Fishercat. Im glad to hear youve been busy.

I just got my new gear.Pinnacle saddle and all the fix'ns! Im going to run the split-tail blakes with a piece of blue tied for my bridge. Simple.... Running the running end thru a beener on my outer D made it run better for me and get the line off my feet all at the same time. Im learning to get the flow of things up there...always learning...

Well good luck!

Thanks Fishercat. Im glad to hear youve been busy.

I just got my new gear.Pinnacle saddle and all the fix'ns! Im going to run the split-tail blakes with a piece of blue tied for my bridge. Simple.... Running the running end thru a beener on my outer D made it run better for me and get the line off my feet all at the same time. Im learning to get the flow of things up there...always learning...

It was slow this week but I got slammed today. Worked for two different outfits today. Mechanic work til Monday.

Take your time. A rush is not worth it in this business.

Latest posts

Back