new climbing knots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello all,at the moment i use a blacks hitch i thing it works well but I'm always looking to improve my climbing ,what i the best knot for use when up in the canopy e.g limb dropping,droping throw a crutch and back up throw it ect.i have a distel on my flip-line and my land-yard whitha pulley for pne hand use but cant work out how you apply in to the main line?? thanks mat

I use a blakes to get into the tree but once there i love the VT for movement within the tree. Add a micro pully with it and it makes for the best limb walks ever. I'd use it on the way up if i could get the hang of caputring a few body thrusts rather than one and the odd angle the rope leaves the karabiner with the pully on it.

new knots

thats the thing you just want ONE knot to do all jobs,up on a blakes,branch walk on a blakes,down on a blakes or if it a long way donw figer8.matt

this is the best 4 me so far

martin hitch it works better than the distel by not binding so tight after being loaded:cheers:

Last edited:
I use the blakes as well thats the one of my favorites. I will switch over to the VT will climbing around in the canopy good high perf hitch very easy to control...

Some Friction Hitches

i like the self tending capabilities of the last 5; and use the very last hitch shown. These are all closed/basket hitches; that both ends connect to saddle; from a split-tail/cord for friction hitch.

Descending/Ascending in tree climber's DdRT, ascending only/ not descending in mountain climber / rescue's SRT.

main line

M.P said:
hello all,at the moment i use a blacks hitch i thing it works well but I'm always looking to improve my climbing ,what i the best knot for use when up in the canopy e.g limb dropping,droping throw a crutch and back up throw it ect.i have a distel on my flip-line and my land-yard whitha pulley for pne hand use but cant work out how you apply in to the main line?? thanks mat
try this with a distel or i now use the martin as shown but both very simmilar

I have a question. This is a keen setup, within the friction hitch arena. The question is, does the climber grab the rope, pulling down with both hands while the left side/midline/caribiner pulls on the pulley/hitch as the standing end of the rope passes downward and through OR does the climber reach up with his right to push up and advance the hitch.

The way it is set up, it looks like it is the job of the caribinered side to control the 'advancing', but I want to be sure so I can duplicate what you guys are doing.

I don't use hitches, or 2:1 systems for ascent (or even descent for that matter), but I do make it a point to at least go out and try them out so I can have first-hand knowledge, if nothing else, from the standpoint of mechanics, motion vs. gain, all that.

attachment.php

I have a question. This is a keen setup, within the friction hitch arena. The question is, does the climber grab the rope, pulling down with both hands while the left side/midline/caribiner pulls on the pulley/hitch as the standing end of the rope passes downward and through OR does the climber reach up with his right to push up and advance the hitch.

Pull with both hands, it is self advancing. There is slop in the system equalling the distance between the top and bottom reach of the carabiner/split tail per pull. Nothing is perfect but it's a good solution overall.
-moss

Pull with both hands, it is self advancing. There is slop in the system equalling the distance between the top and bottom reach of the carabiner/split tail per pull. Nothing is perfect but it's a good solution overall.
-moss
If you don't mind me asking, a good solution overall to what?

:)

It solves the problem of how to do traditional body-thrust climbing on a DdRT system configured with a closed hitch. Usually the hitch is close to the harness and the climber has to pull down on the rope above above the hitch to ascend. This causes excessive slack which has to be manually pulled through the hitch during ascent. Attaching the closed hitch up high simulates climbing on a Blake's with an open split tail. Once the climber is in the tree they can move the biner back down to attachment on their harness and take advantage of all the favorable qualitites of the closed hitch for getting around the crown of the tree.
-moss

To body thrusting the old fashioned way. OOPs you beat me to it AJ.

TM what exactly do you use for hardwear on your SRT? I'm planning on starting a thread about the different SRT set ups as soon as I remember to take a picture of mine.

Last edited:
I tried footlocking up this system yesterday. It's not footlock friendly, in any way. I honestly thought body thrusting was a thing of the past. I'll give it a body thrust attempt today, just to have that direct experience.

OTG BOSTON said:
TM what exactly do you use for hardwear on your SRT? I'm planning on starting a thread about the different SRT set ups as soon as I remember to take a picture of mine.
Prototype stuff, for the most part, so I won't be able to share it for fear of someone trying some variation. The hardware I use has to offer the versatility of going DdRT, like you guys, DbRT (static-stationary doubled line)which is me 80% of the time and SRT, me the other 20%. To demystify further, ascenders are always used on the trip up.

Boston, why don't you reopen one of the old SRT threads and we can work off that foundation, rather than building an entirely new one. Very little has changed with regards to non-hardware based SRT. If you have a piece of hardware that can go on doubled static, doubled moving or single line, reopen that thread, too; that was just a few months ago. I could share design mods I'm offering to Black Diamand and Kong, but I honestly don't think anyone here gives a hoot.

2:1 DdRT, no matter how much slop in the system, no matter how difficult it makes it to go up, still reigns king. I've seen a moderate shift toward ascender use in the last few years, but the friction hitch family has been offered to Arbordom, personally, from the hand of God. It just doesn't matter if there are faster, easier methods. I've beaten this drum for years; no one cares.

I tried footlocking up this system yesterday. It's not footlock friendly, in any way.

It seems like it should work just as well as any other DdRT system for footlocking the tail. Is that what you were trying to do?

I honestly thought body thrusting was a thing of the past.

I often body thrust for short distances to get around limbs instead of banging into them while footlocking. Using your legs on the tree or branches equals body thrusting when you're ascending DdRT right? Otherwise it's footlock the tail (DdRT) as much as possible.
-moss

Latest posts

Back