New climbing Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've seen some Wall Max-V rope that was usually a good choice(at least i thought so); but seemed to have a 1 time bad run that i got some of, and was not the only one.

A 16 strand that we milked and cut 4-5' out of a number of times from an original 150'! It never did seem to stop milking, even after ending up as shorter/quick climbing lines, partially because of the milking!

i also think that the increased life line sheath pressure of smaller diameter friction hitches, and lower friction support/more force on friction hitch; makes for more discriminating choices in this category than with a 1/2" friction hitch with friction help overhead for lowering on friction hitch.

Once again i've like my Yellow Jacket as Brian; but notice never to discount the 5 colors of "Blues" of the families BlueStreak and SafetyBlue (SB HyVee was also always favorite 3 strand choice for short items).

Or something like that,
:alien:

I'm not sure that higher strengths are a better way to go after a certain point of basic strengths. So I would not buy a rope just based on this factor by any means.
No matter what way you go should you fall into these semi-static lines your body will break.

Lighter weight is nice for me. I haul lines up some pretty tall trees all the time
Frans

I like the 16 strand the best, but I also have some safety blue - the old fashioned twisted three strand. I like that rope in shorter lengths, and it seems to wear pretty well...

Mike M, Your Fly is open. Start cussing a Blue Streak.:p

Butch, are you still on hemp?:blob2:

I haven't tried all the climbing ropes out there. I was pleased with Arborplex. More pleased with Safety Blue. Happy with Yellow Jacket-but don't think it is the best out there. I've got a hank of Columbia Ropes Arborgold 12 strand to try soon.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
I like three strand hemp rope the best.
Twisted hemp is great stuff, but most would advocate not climbing on it.

Right, Butch?

I don't mess with hemp! ZERO canibanoids!:blob2:

But I did climb on manilla 25 years ago. Compared to three strand Esterlon, it was nice and loose-laid. Kinda hard on the hands, though.

<dl><dt>pseudo-vice,&nbsp; n.</dt><dd>1.&nbsp; smoking rope</dd><dd>2.&nbsp; drinking O'Douls</dd></dl>

I'm using yellow jacket since rocky turned me on to it almost a year ago. I like the smaller size it is much easier to use ascenders with than others that I've tried. I use a neat little USHBA Titanium ascender in place of a friction hitch about 95% of the time. That ascender and my others (Kong) never worked well with any of the other 1/2 ropes, they were always a little too tight and hard to get off the rope. Yellow jacket is crap and it should be pulled, the only reason I used it for about 3 months is casue I was too cheap and stubborn to give it up. I kept saying to myself that is is just like blue streak and will break in and be great on my next climb...Not!
I agree that BS is one heck of a good rope, don't assume that ropes that look alike will perform the same.
Greg

Greg,

Ithink that if you check with the manufactures of your ascenders, or on Gary Storrick's site, you'll find that they are spec'd for smaller diameter ropes. Sine the Ushba has a different mechanism, it is a little more tolerant about rope size. Still not a good idea to use larger ropes in any rope tools even if you can shoe horn the rope inside.

Yom

Wearing my shoes of controversy...

I've climbed on all the ropes mentioned, except for the one called fire, the hemp, and the manila. I can agree with all the plusses and minuses listed. My personal favorite is one has not been mentioned, as it is not marketed and sold as a 'climbing' line. That rope would be Samson's 1/2" Stable Braid.

OK, it's a bull rope, meant to be used as a lowering line. At 10,400 lb tensile, strength severel thousand pounds in excess of it's climbing line brothers, about the same as that of 1/2" tenex (which is plain crappy as a climbing line).

In agreeing with Frans' remarks, I also don't choose it based on its excessive strength rating, though I consider it a plus. I have other reasons, namely:
1) Extremely durable abrasion-resistant sheath that DOES NOT MILK no matter what you do to it, at least in my experience.
2) Soft, supple hand, takes knots well, no problem splicing it, passes through mechanical devices as well as any of the 'climbing' lines.
3) LOW-stretch semi-static, verging more toward fully static for a no-bounce ascent.
4) Only $5 more (Sherrill 2004) than the 150-foot Blue Streak.
5) It can be retired and becomes an excellent rigging / lowering line, since that's what it is anyway.

Now Rocky or Mike Maas or Yom will likely jump my beans for climbing on a static line, but before you do, I'll refer you to the words of the man who started the thread....
No matter what way you go should you fall into these semi-static lines your body will break.
...and that's just the way it is. Don't fall. It's not recommened practice in our 'sport'.

Very durable rope with all the positive attributes of any of the previously listed ropes. Heavier than the Fly, though comparable with the others. Before you jump in and knock it, I'll gently suggest you at least try it.

I wish it came in the same diameter as the Fly (11mm).

TM, Stable braid DOES come in 7/16ths-it isn't listed as arborist line but they make it-same product . Breaking strength of the 7/16ths/11mm is 7700lbs.

Regarding new lines, I've seen some things that Samson is working on. I know that Yale is looking at 11mm lines, too. I also know that both these companies would like your input as to how much demand there is for these products. If you were interested in them, I would get on the phone and call Samson and Yale and ask what they have up there sleeves in the 11mm market, and how long you have to wait.

It's all supply and demand. Let them know that the demand IS there. I LOVE the idea of 11mm lines. The fly is good, but there is MUCH room for improvement. I am excited about what's to come!!!!

love
nick

i love my fly, but if anything i think it could be a bit smaller. i'm convinced its not 11mm.
compared to my 10.5mm rope theres a huge difference. and as a lot of rock climbing gear is designed for ropes up to 11mm, if its that little too thick it makes loads of difference to how smoothly the rope pulls through the device.

I'm using the new Yale 'Fire' hi viz, good line as i used to use new england and also new england for lowering, so no confusion and sudden jerks any more, plus its not waxy either.

Moving down to 11mm

At my last post I had ordered a new 1/2" (13mm) stable braid. Nick informed us that 7/16 Stable Braid is available, though not marketed to us Treeguys.

I received the rope, put an eye on each end, and started bumming dearly about the purchase. I'm tired of the bulk, I'm tired of the weight, but ya know what I'm really tired of.......

I'm tired of not being able to utilize all of the great rock climbing pieces that max out at 11mm. You can stuff an 11.5 rope through these pieces, but not a 13. There are some truly SWEET pieces out there, USHBA's titanium stuff, and the hip ATC's by Black Diamond. Then there's Kong, really throwing down some advanced friction gear, but we're excluded from the club because we climb on 13 mm.

Why?

Well, because that's what is marketed to us, but Why, really? Grippability, like hand-on-rope ergonomics? Friction hitch works better on 13 mm? Some of the current mechanical ascenders and descenders overcome those reasonings.

The Fly has gotten diameter size down and been offered as the 'first' semistatic 11.5 to be marketed to us. A lot of us like that rope. Some of the stiff static kernmantles are 11 mm, like for caving, but they're hard as a rock and stiff. I want something with a supple hand, high strength, splicable, non-milking and static or semistatic, not as elastic, though, as the Fly. I want higher strength than the fly.

I got lucky. A friend of mine bought the brand new 13 mm with eyes on each end for what I paid for it. I'm in need of a rope again, and I believe I WILL call Sampson and New England and gather sme information for us. I'll take it on as my pet project. I'll mebbe not go with the 11.5 Stable Braid that I'd had my heart set on, and instead stay open to whatever they're toying with in the 11 - 11.5 realm. I'll test-pilot something, and see what else is cookin. Thanks Nick.

Latest posts

Back