new climbing rope.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool1937

Reaction score
hi i am just getting into the tree trimming buisness on my own. I worked for a tree service for about a year and now im starting out own my own and there are a few things they never taught me because i realy didnt have to know working for them. now i need help lol. here is my qustion

what is the best knot for atatching a clip to the end of my new climbing rope? im going to be using it with a friction hitch but it wont get alot of use since i dont have to climb to much yet. any help would be greatly apreciated.
thanks
Evan

You'll need to go into a bit more detail about your specific setup man.

I use a double fishermans knot to terminate with a Schwabisch and micro pulley slack tender on a separate carabiner.

For years I used a Bowline, now I use a Figure 8 for attaching to a snab/carabiner/clip :poke:eek:r whatever you want to call it. For the friction hitch I used the Tautline for years but now use a Blake hitch followed with a figure 8 stopper knot in case your hitch becomes a little loose. For starters try learning a few basic knots and get to know them well instead of fumbling with knots that your unsure of when aloft in a tree. When you get used to those then start learning new ones. For instances I only use the Figure 8, and a Blake hitch for 95% of my work. Those two knots, a couple snaps, and carabiners allows me to safely take down most medium size trees here in Missouri. Other knots I'll use but not to often is Double Fishermans, Sheet bend, Pursik, Timber hitch and Running Bowline, however even then I can subsitute most of those with a figure 8, blake and a few carabiners. Buy a little book called the "The Tree Climber's Companion" It's only about $20 bucks, easy to read, and filled with good info. Good luck.

im trying not to look dumb but im also trying to let everyone know i dont know alot about climbing but im learning.

Everyone starts somewhere. Let me begin by advising you to seek out an experienced climber to work and train with. They are the best way to learn, especially in a trade with so much inherent risk.

With that said, the best knot is the one you can tie in your sleep. Just make sure that it's purpose is for use on a lifeline. Buntline, anchor hitch, double fishermans knot are all popular choices.

Everyone starts somewhere. Let me begin by advising you to seek out an experienced climber to work and train with. They are the best way to learn, especially in a trade with so much inherent risk.

:agree2: The best way to learn is on hands experience. That way you can see what he's doing, why he's doing it and what the purpose of doing it that way is. I use a bowline or running bowline for just about everything. It's real easy to tie, you can use it for rigging and personal support. Although i put a stopper knot on it too when using it for personal support. The nest best thing you can do is get the Tree Climbers Companion book.

hi i am just getting into the tree trimming buisness on my own. I worked for a tree service for about a year and now im starting out own my own and there are a few things they never taught me because i realy didnt have to know working for them. now i need help lol. here is my qustion

what is the best knot for atatching a clip to the end of my new climbing rope? im going to be using it with a friction hitch but it wont get alot of use since i dont have to climb to much yet. any help would be greatly apreciated.
thanks
Evan

Do you cut trees for Taco Bell?

With that said, the best knot is the one you can tie in your sleep. Just make sure that it's purpose is for use on a lifeline. Buntline, anchor hitch, double fishermans knot are all popular choices.

+1

Learned with a F8 on a bight. Now I use double fisherman. But I like being able to tie, dress, and inspect by touch.

Buy a little book called the "The Tree Climber's Companion" It's only about $20 bucks, easy to read, and filled with good info. Good luck.

:agree2:

Great little book for when you're just starting out. It tells you everything you need to do basic tree work safely. I think that every climber should have a copy.

Is there a saddle attached to the end of your clip? You may have worked for a tree company for a year but it seems like you need to learn a lot more.

thanks
Evan

I suggest you do the following in this order.

1. Book yourself in to an accredited climbing course NOW. If you do not know which termination knot to use you really really need some hands on help.

2. Buy a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion. You need to read this book untill the staples fall out.

3. Pick the simplest termination knot you can tie easily. Over here, you can use bowline with yosemite finish or a retied figure eight as your initial termination knot for basic climbing. Practise this knot and only this knot. When you watch TV, talk to friends, ride the bus, take breaks grab a couple of metres of rope and tie the knot.

4. Practise what you have been taught.

5. Stay low and move slow.

6. DO NOT WORK ALONE. Your groundie can haul branches, pass you water and call 911 if you can't.

7. Keep asking questions as you go. It is amazing how much free information you can get here.

Stay safe mate. :cheers:

Cool1937: I wish you the best of luck, but like others have said please for your own sake get some help with someone experienced climbing. Climbing isn't something you learn over a day. Rarely can you get "comfortable" with a day training with an experienced climber it could take weeks. But it's worth the money to keep yourself alive and a house with a good roof.

You are going to have a lot going through your head when you start to climb that tree. Some limbs are brittle, they could break and hit your customers house. YOu might not think of that now while you are learning on trees that aren't by homes but you will be thinking of the homeowner when you are climbing.

Get yourself comfortable in a tree. Make sure you have everything you are going to need and another person on the ground to send you up stuff that you need that is hard to climb with (clove hitch is a good notch and easy to show a novice groundman). When you are in the tree always make sure you are comfortable and make sure any cuts you make aren't going to alter your position. Don't go crazy on a tree for a while until you learn what the heck you are doing.

You are also going to learn to free climb. In Maine where I am from you can't spike a tree that you aren't taking down. Plus most homeowners don't want someone sticking spikes in the trees you are maintaining for them. Free climbing is hard and you will need some time to feel comfortable doing that.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Last edited:
i mainly cedar log that is pretty much all i do but i have climbing gear and everyonce in a wile i will climb a tree to top it that is all i will be doing. i dont trim or anything.

Back