New Echo SRM265 and SRM280 using single ring Vortex engine!! Do they last as long?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as Echo produces a powerhead that passes emissions standards, produces good power, and has the same 300+ hour useful life rating across the board (which not even Stihl can boast with all the 2 ring pistons in the world) why question their methods?

Your echo rep must have given you that paragraph to post, cause what he says goes, right?:ices_rofl:

Does echo build their "engines" to last 300hrs and then blow? Do you really think a echo is built better than a Stihl?

you would think if Echo was cost cutting, they would make a 4-mix line that met EPA requirements to give them credits to make their old models versus spending a fortune on redesigning their engines to not only meets EPA, but put out more torque and better fuel economy in a smaller displacement package.

They will be before long. That was the reasoning behind the joint venture with Shindiawa. Echo gets to use the C-4 and Shiny gets some of the saws.
The fact is, that Echo does not haave the credits so they had to build their 4th powerhead in 5 years. Look at last years 261T. So many carb problems and because of the cat converted muffler the engine ran extremely hot causing many failures. This has caused a lot of people to rethink towards these trimmers. Also, if you go on their UK website you will see that they do make a 4cycle trimmer so their marketing BS about (we make 2-cycle because we can t-shirts) is just that, marketing BS.
Need I go on.:jawdrop:

LMFAO!

ECHO will be top dog in the new emissions era!

they always seem to justify it somehow.

If they want that title, they can have it. From what little pollutants these saws put out, it's not worth the power loss. So echo is going for the tree huggers? How many of those jerks buy saws? Maybe echo should try to make a saw like the 441, a saw that actually produces power and is not as "dirty".

Maybe you guys have noticed I don't care about a saw that is "epa" friendly, I have enough parts for my 026s, 440s, 460s, and 660 to last 15 more years.

Your echo rep must have given you that paragraph to post, cause what he says goes, right?:ices_rofl:

Does echo build their "engines" to last 300hrs and then blow? Do you really think a echo is built better than a Stihl?

Why dont you try responding with some facts rather than insults. :)

Why dont you try responding with some facts rather than insults. :)

Read red's post #40 and search his other "threads" you will see the man's a tool. He stated the 300 hr mark. A Stihl/husky/Dolmar laughs at that number. Maybe if his rep told him to jump off a bridge he would, anyone got his rep's number?

Echo makes a good saw, but not no where near as good as red says.

Facts? Stihl's been #1 since 1926..........

Last edited:
you would think if Echo was cost cutting, they would make a 4-mix line that met EPA requirements to give them credits to make their old models versus spending a fortune on redesigning their engines to not only meets EPA, but put out more torque and better fuel economy in a smaller displacement package.

Meeting epa has much less to do with the to do with the engine design than the Cat muffler bolted to the exhaust. Without it it's just another dirty 2 stroke.

Echo and 4-mix? It might be here sooner than you think - follow their "relationship" with Shindawa..

Read red's post #40 and search his other "threads" you will see the man's a tool. He stated the 300 hr mark. A Stihl/husky/Dolmar laughs at that number. Maybe if his rep told him to jump off a bridge he would, anyone got his rep's number?

Echo makes a good saw, but not no where near as good as red says.

Facts? Stihl's been #1 since 1926..........

Can you forego the insult to Red? Do you have any analytical information why Echo claim of 1 ring engine is wrong? What do you think about the shape of the ring that lower heat and friction. I do notice the piston is very shinny on my HS151 which is a single ring Vortex engine. Look like it is chrome plated like the Cox engines of the model airplane. It that a true observation? If it is true, does that help?

I don't think Echo is trying to compete with Stihl on Saws!!! But those 4Mix and C4 hybrid engine are a different story. I don't want to go into it, they have been talked enough already. Bottom line, I am thinking of selling my C4 blower. And if I do, Stihl or Maruyama will be my choice just because it has the biggest 2 cycle engine.

It is a fact that Echo and Shindaiwa join mainly for the C4 engine and saws. Maybe I should buy all my stuff before they all become hybrid engines.

Can you forego the insult to Red? Do you have any analytical information why Echo claim of 1 ring engine is wrong? What do you think about the shape of the ring that lower heat and friction. I do notice the piston is very shinny on my HS151 which is a single ring Vortex engine. Look like it is chrome plated like the Cox engines of the model airplane. It that a true observation? If it is true, does that help?

Well, to sum it all up, I could care less what echo does. If their "one ringed" engine works, go for it. Is chrome plating stronger than nikasil? Can the echo bore last like a Stihl?

I'm not bashing echo, I got one for sale in the classifieds. It has served me well but no need for it with all these Stihls.:)

I don't need to insult red, he did it himself with taking weeks to diagnose a bad coil. The guy bashes Stihl and has a heart attack when his Stihl dealer gives him a price on a quality part. When he deserves respect, I will give it.:clap:

If they want that title, they can have it. From what little pollutants these saws put out, it's not worth the power loss. So echo is going for the tree huggers? How many of those jerks buy saws? Maybe echo should try to make a saw like the 441, a saw that actually produces power and is not as "dirty".

Maybe you guys have noticed I don't care about a saw that is "epa" friendly, I have enough parts for my 026s, 440s, 460s, and 660 to last 15 more years.

well unfortunately, these tree huggers happen to be an extension of the American government, the Environmental Protection Agency. Echo isn't trying to please the EPA because they want to, it's because they HAVE to. The EPA is way out of line these days, and we need some staunch conservatives in the white house to keep them in check. A Hillary, Barack, or McCain in the oval office will be a nightmare for 2-cycle engine manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc.

I'm going out on a limb here, but from everything I've seen of the UK, they're very liberal and have far more tree huggers over there. They've probably all but completely outlawed 2-cycles with the stringent standards. If that is the case, Echo and other companies are forced to use 4 stroke engines.

well unfortunately, these tree huggers happen to be an extension of the American government, the Environmental Protection Agency. Echo isn't trying to please the EPA because they want to, it's because they HAVE to. The EPA is way out of line these days, and we need some staunch conservatives in the white house to keep them in check. A Hillary, Barack, or McCain in the oval office will be a nightmare for 2-cycle engine manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc.

Great post! I agree 100%.

Great post! I agree 100%.

Sounds like I should collect a few 2cycle pieces, they might become collectable!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Luckily, I am a Honda 4 cycle fan, so it might not be too bad for me. It must be devestating for people that do this for a living. They better hit the gym now to be able to carry the extra weight all day long.

How long will the Redmax Strato Charged engines Echo new egine se able to comply to the gradual tightening of the regulations. Can they go all the way or they are just a stop gap until new engines come out?

Maybe company should start consider something equivalent to hydrolic valves that eliminate the need of adjustment and reduce weight on 4 cycles with separate oil like Honda to lessen deposit on the valves due to lack of oil in the gas. Also easier to decarbon by spraying stuff(water!!) into the carb which I don't think is a good idea if the mix go through crankcase like the hybrids. If they can do that, then people might not be against 4 cycles as much.

Stihl dealer gives him a price on a quality part. When he deserves respect, I will give it.:clap:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEL6_SuQCu8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:rockn:

Man I guess all my saws are junk. My 670 Jonsered has one ring, and we all know the 600 series Johnny's were junk.
My 5100 has one ring and they are falling apart all over the country.
My 970 has one ring if I remember correctly it should seize up any second.
My 55 has one ring I think its been 5 years since I have looked, we all know they are not very durable.
My 920 I have no idea and I think a lot of people posting here have no idea how many rings their saws have. Husky made lots of models with one ring, some 266's and 268's, 371's, I dont know about the new saws as I am not a saw builder.

I need go find a 2 ring Poulan, if it has two rings it is guaranteed to last 40 years

Well, to sum it all up, I could care less what echo does. If their "one ringed" engine works, go for it. Is chrome plating stronger than nikasil? Can the echo bore last like a Stihl?

I'm not bashing echo, I got one for sale in the classifieds. It has served me well but no need for it with all these Stihls.:)

I don't need to insult red, he did it himself with taking weeks to diagnose a bad coil. The guy bashes Stihl and has a heart attack when his Stihl dealer gives him a price on a quality part. When he deserves respect, I will give it.:clap:

I guess reading comprehension wasnt your strong point in school huh?

I diagnosed the coil was bad right off...it was the dealer taking forever to confirm the coil was under warranty, then he would only release the coil to the owner, then the owner had to get it to us, then I had to put it on.

Man I guess all my saws are junk. My 670 Jonsered has one ring, and we all know the 600 series Johnny's were junk.
My 5100 has one ring and they are falling apart all over the country.
My 970 has one ring if I remember correctly it should seize up any second.
My 55 has one ring I think its been 5 years since I have looked, we all know they are not very durable.
My 920 I have no idea and I think a lot of people posting here have no idea how many rings their saws have. Husky made lots of models with one ring, some 266's and 268's, 371's, I dont know about the new saws as I am not a saw builder.

I need go find a 2 ring Poulan, if it has two rings it is guaranteed to last 40 years

Husky 350 is a 1 ring saw....:(

I thought of one thing. You go on ebay, you see all the trimmer engines for autions never the trimmer body and trimmer head assembly. That kind of implies engine last longer than the rest of the trimmer, one ring might do fine. You just might see less engines on ebay!!! Modeler might be crying because a lot of them get the engine for conversion from this source!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back