New Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiet87

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm looking for a recommendation of what gear I need to start climbing. I looked back through posts, but they just said do your research!!! I need someone to let me know what gear I need to start climbing. Money is not a big object as I'm looking to start doing this as a side, and eventually full time. I don't want to go the cheap route, and I need to start somewhere! I got my AS degree in forestry, and worked for a forester for 3.5 years. Noone has will show me how to climb so I'm on my own. Yes I have life insurance and it's up to date!

This is rather like asking, "What do I need to get started as a mechanic?" and hoping for a quick, simple list. It's a bit more complicated than that, which is why there are so very many posts and threads about each single aspect of tree work on the arborist forums.

It might help to make a short list of the items that you know you will need, and enter them into the search function on each of the sites you use for your research. I'd start with the most obvious stuff... climbers/gaffs, lanyard/flipline, PPE equipment (gloves, climbing/chainsaw pants, helmet, climbing boots, etc.), tophandle saw, handsaw, saddle/harness, throwline... before you move to climbing rope systems. By that point, you'll need to know how you plan to access the trees, and how you want to work them. SRT for access, DdRT for work positioning? Friction hitch based systems, or mechanical multicender systems? The ropes and hardware needed vary tremendously, depending on your decisions. Will you use a long lanyard for secondary climb line, do you need a steelcore flipline, etc. It just goes on and on, which is why there is no single post on the forums that says, "This Is What You Need" because the post would be 200 pages long. And that's if you left the whole issue of RIGGING out.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage you... just sayin'... the amount of stuff needed, and the cost of it all, is daunting. You have to start with a short list that will get you into a tree, and research that small number of items very well, to ensure that you're not buying the same type items over and over, needlessly. Some of that will happen, but you can at least minimize the chances of wasting any time or money if you get a lot of opinions about each item you need. Or, simply find the right area on the forums site, and start reading. Again, the search function will help.

I think your first considerations might be: Climbers, Lanyard, Harness, Helmet and try to get those ones out of the way, because the options are many and those items will get you into a tree for removals. That would give you a core from which you can move outward.

You can learn a lot from being on a ground crew part time for a legit company. That will make you a better climber than someone who just gets straight into trees. Plus you will learn to respect the little things that the ground guys do for you. You will also Learn what you need gear wise by paying attention to the climber. Good luck!

This is rather like asking, "What do I need to get started as a mechanic?" and hoping for a quick, simple list. It's a bit more complicated than that, which is why there are so very many posts and threads about each single aspect of tree work on the arborist forums.

It might help to make a short list of the items that you know you will need, and enter them into the search function on each of the sites you use for your research. I'd start with the most obvious stuff... climbers/gaffs, lanyard/flipline, PPE equipment (gloves, climbing/chainsaw pants, helmet, climbing boots, etc.), tophandle saw, handsaw, saddle/harness, throwline... before you move to climbing rope systems. By that point, you'll need to know how you plan to access the trees, and how you want to work them. SRT for access, DdRT for work positioning? Friction hitch based systems, or mechanical multicender systems? The ropes and hardware needed vary tremendously, depending on your decisions. Will you use a long lanyard for secondary climb line, do you need a steelcore flipline, etc. It just goes on and on, which is why there is no single post on the forums that says, "This Is What You Need" because the post would be 200 pages long. And that's if you left the whole issue of RIGGING out.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage you... just sayin'... the amount of stuff needed, and the cost of it all, is daunting. You have to start with a short list that will get you into a tree, and research that small number of items very well, to ensure that you're not buying the same type items over and over, needlessly. Some of that will happen, but you can at least minimize the chances of wasting any time or money if you get a lot of opinions about each item you need. Or, simply find the right area on the forums site, and start reading. Again, the search function will help.

I think your first considerations might be: Climbers, Lanyard, Harness, Helmet and try to get those ones out of the way, because the options are many and those items will get you into a tree for removals. That would give you a core from which you can move outward.
He still needs a climbing rope so he can bail out in an emergency and also needs two tie in points when the saw is running for a fail safe if one gets cut.

Ok I'm looking for a recommendation of what gear I need to start climbing. I looked back through posts, but they just said do your research!!! I need someone to let me know what gear I need to start climbing. Money is not a big object as I'm looking to start doing this as a side, and eventually full time. I don't want to go the cheap route, and I need to start somewhere! I got my AS degree in forestry, and worked for a forester for 3.5 years. Noone has will show me how to climb so I'm on my own. Yes I have life insurance and it's up to date!

A Year as a groundie with a good company for a start and start rec climbing at the Weekends with an experienced tree surgeon/Arborist. Basic climbing kit as follows,

Climbing Harness,
Three way spring loaded biners by six,
Prussik loop by two,
Soft core lanyard 5m,
13mm 37/45m climbing line,
A second rope for emergencies,
Silky pruning saw,
Tool clips by three,
First aid kit for harness, (Israeli bandage plus celox gauze),
Locking knife (rescue type with a whistle),
Spikes,
Climbing helmet with visor and muffs,
One eye to eye hitch for distel knot on lanyard,
Petzl carry tools by two,
Cambium saver,
Three way spring loaded locking snap for Lanyard,
Steel core flipline 3m/5m,
Two throw bags 10oz and 14oz,
Throw line and cube,
Gloves, chainsaw boots, saw trousers and hi-viz shirt.

Stay away from srt plus mechanical aids like ascenders and zig zags until you have gained some experience. Learn as many knots as possible and learn to tie them on the ground with your eyes closed. Learn to climb ddrt with a prussik loop or split tail first, master body thrusting and foot locking. Learn the blakes hitch, very handy if you get into trouble. Stuck rope etc and it will happen! Learn work positioning with your handsaw before even dreaming of using a top handle saw in a tree. The above list is by no means meant to be comprehensive and your kit will expand and develop as you become more accomplished. Climb safe.

Pretty good list. One aspect I don't think has been mentioned yet is to get yourself a copy of The Tree Climber's Companion. Lots of good info in there for beginners ... and it includes many references to different types of gear. Also, when buying gear that will go on your climbing rope, pay close attention to what diameters of rope will fit. Not all devices fit all available diameters of rope.

Id say you need a friend to climb with.
As was mentioned above, if you work as a groundsman for a reputable outfit, they will have a reputable climber who WILL want to show you the ropes(pun intended).

When I first started I had no one to show me, I went to the closet climbing gear supplier and bought the climbers companion and 5m or climbing line to practice knots on.

Then I returned and got my self a harness, 25m climbing rope, 2 prusic loops and a couple of carabiners.
I used the 5m line I had for tieing knots as a lanyard, a English prusic for an adjuster and an English prusic for climbing.
The above was the bare minimum to get me off the ground and see if climbing was for me.

I would suggest doing something similar because once you get 10m in the air and start doing some small limb walks etc you may find that climbing is not for you, better to find out without spending a whole heap
Of money on gear that is hard to sell second hand

Thanks for the replies all. I'll look into the gear, but sounds like I'll get the book to look over first. Thanks again, and will keep updated once I get going

Wesspur Deluxe Combo Spur and Rope Kit http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/custom-climbing-kits.html
And maybe add a CE Lanyard because you will want a second tie in for limb walking. Or a Chinook Rec lanyard and a thimble prusik to go with it. You will still need a couple of extra biners and eye to eye prusiks.
The list can go on and on. You could add a foot ascender, handsaw, top handle saw, etc. Buying a kit cost big but it saves you money on stuff you will just be buying later. Unless you are buying someone out of their equipment you aren't gonna get started spurring and ddrt for less than $1500 when saddles are priced at $130-600, spurs $250-600, Ce Lanyard $215 and so on. Add a saw and it's going to put you in the $2000 range.
You are where I was a few months ago. I got in cheap with a saddle, 2 lanyards and 2 sets of spurs for $200 but I had to buy much much more like rope, biners, saw, throwline, bags, ce lanyard, friction saver, prusiks, hitch climber set, ditty bag, hand saw. It's never ending. Save as much money on the first purchase as you can.
And don't forget "The Tree Climber's Companion"

Back