New guy!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by tree climbing and already having a strong interest in forestry, conservation and rope rescue, I'd like to pursue a side business as an arborist obviously that wouldn't be until I've worked for some tree companies etc.. I have a few friends in the business and I've been shown how to climb on a closed system. I know my knots from being a firefighter and don't have a fear of heights. I'm here so I don't bother my friends so much with all my questions! I was hoping to ask alot of them here and practice climbing in my yard and with my friends. I currently have no gear and was wondering what else I need besides a harness.
Right now all i know is to get a harness, I was looking at a petzl harness. I know I need some biners but now sure what ones and I need some rope, a helmet and a throw ball. I would also like if anyone had book recommendations and videos.

I find climbers fascinating. I'm sure you came to the right place for advice. I would also be curious to know where to start the education process

Here's what I use. I would get a basic harness at sherril tree and some 11 mil rope. If it is 11 mill, it works like a hitch climber but use a GriGri instead. It's cheaper and you don't loose about 6 inches of rope. Email me at [email protected]12.com if you have any questions

Here's what I use. I would get a basic harness at sherril tree and some 11 mil rope. If it is 11 mill, it works like a hitch climber but use a GriGri instead. It's cheaper and you don't loose about 6 inches of rope. Email me at [email protected]12.com if you have any questions

I think you missed a sentence in your reply, it doesn't make sense.

To the OP, your first purchase should be the Tree Climber's Companion by Jepsen. You can also find it as a bit torrent. That will answer a lot of your questions.

I would really recommend against using a mechanical device as a hitch until you've learned basic climbing techniques using hitch cord (either a split tail or Eye to eye). Baby steps.

As far as equipment, you need a harness, rope, biners (autolocking), hitch system and a lanyard. If you really want to go old school, all you need is the harness, rope and lanyard.

Remember to start low and slow and always be tied in when you are in the tree. (If you need to reposition your rope, you tie in with the lanyard)

Op, You should fill in where you are from. You might find some more local help from some on here. Get the basic old school way down first before you start playing with mechanical stuff. That way, if you have a gear problem, you can always get down with just a rope and your harness. I'd get something like arborplex for a starter rope. It's good and economical. I still use it as I haven't found anything I like enough to spend more money on rope. The tripple lock carabiners are nice as you know they aren't going to come open on accident and you don't have to remember to screw the gate closed. I still climb with screw locks because I have a bunch of good ones and they aren't ready to be retired yet. When I had to buy some for an employee, I got the tripples. They are what's required these days from ANSI Z133.1. Spend the money to get a good harness. I'm not saying you have to get a $600 top of the line to get a good one. Get one that is comfortable, durable, and has the needed gear attachment points. I have a buckingham masters harness personally. I prefer split legs. When it's time for another harness, I'll probably buy the deluxe version of the same.

Ask local arborists if they know of any rec climbing groups. You might be surprised that many do this for fun too.
I started climbing with one of my buddies who's an arborist, I've learned alot so far.

I think you missed a sentence in your reply, it doesn't make sense.

To the OP, your first purchase should be the Tree Climber's Companion by Jepsen. You can also find it as a bit torrent. That will answer a lot of your questions.

I would really recommend against using a mechanical device as a hitch until you've learned basic climbing techniques using hitch cord (either a split tail or Eye to eye). Baby steps.

As far as equipment, you need a harness, rope, biners (autolocking), hitch system and a lanyard. If you really want to go old school, all you need is the harness, rope and lanyard.

Remember to start low and slow and always be tied in when you are in the tree. (If you need to reposition your rope, you tie in with the lanyard)

I was recommended that same book a few days ago, I have since purchased it! I have all my euipment lined up I just need another week or so to purchase it. I plan on using either a split eye or eye to eye climbing system with a micro-pulley. I learned on a closed system and I enjoyed that but using the micro pulley was 100x easier for me to re-position.

I got a Petzl avao harness and some new england 1/2" safety blue rope.

Op, You should fill in where you are from. You might find some more local help from some on here. Get the basic old school way down first before you start playing with mechanical stuff. That way, if you have a gear problem, you can always get down with just a rope and your harness. I'd get something like arborplex for a starter rope. It's good and economical. I still use it as I haven't found anything I like enough to spend more money on rope. The tripple lock carabiners are nice as you know they aren't going to come open on accident and you don't have to remember to screw the gate closed. I still climb with screw locks because I have a bunch of good ones and they aren't ready to be retired yet. When I had to buy some for an employee, I got the tripples. They are what's required these days from ANSI Z133.1. Spend the money to get a good harness. I'm not saying you have to get a $600 top of the line to get a good one. Get one that is comfortable, durable, and has the needed gear attachment points. I have a buckingham masters harness personally. I prefer split legs. When it's time for another harness, I'll probably buy the deluxe version of the same.
I'm from Massachusetts, Worcester county area. I was taught just the closed system way (bowline and blakes hitch). I have the ball lock carabiners, would you reccommend the triple over the ball lock?

I have two separate biners to my bridge (don't use a hitchclimber). I use a ball lock on the hitch side and a triple on the tail side. I don't get them confused that way.

I don't have a preference between biners, except the triple action is easier to use in the rain and cold with gloves on. As long as it takes three separate actions to open the biner.

Latest posts

Back