new husq saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote for an Echo in the small saws. I have a cs520 with an 18" bar that use 75% of the time and I burn 10-12 cord a year, only use my 371xp on big diameter stuff. Had the Echo 6 years and not a hiccup one with all the use, just good maintenance. Starts hot or cold, runs longer than I will in a day and real stingy on gas, not to mention the 5 year warranty!!!!!

seems like quite a few of these suggestions are for bigger saws though, i am looking to pick up a bigger small to medium size. limbing, cutting up to 12" trees
but i like the ideas and thoughts.

seems like quite a few of these suggestions are for bigger saws though, i am looking to pick up a bigger small to medium size. limbing, cutting up to 12" trees
but i like the ideas and thoughts.
Then go small. You have a saw that's great for bigger jobs. Lots of suggestions but it really sounds like you're leaning in the 40cc direction. Like I said if you get a nice running 40 cc saw you'll use it a lot. If you haven't run one, you will be surprised. If you are looking for bargains, you'll even be more surprised.

Another reason to consider the cs-500p ($449) with an 18" bar. Here's how it stacks up against the 40cc weight and price:

Stihl ms 241 - 9.9 lb. ($549)
Husqvarna 543xp - 9.92 lb. ($529)

The cs-500p (at 10.6 lb) would have weight and handling very similar to the 40cc saws. But your wood cutting production will be significantly higher with the 50cc Echo.....for $100 less:)

Back