New in box 346xp's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I had a weak moment and went to a husky dealer to get a 346xp before they were gone, while there I ended up buying the last two he could get justifying it as an investment. I put them away and only opened one to look at it, but its driving me crazy not to gas and oil one up and use it.

I'm asking for advice on how I should store them, is just leaving them in the card board box they came in okay as long as they are in a nice dry place?
Should I use them a little bit each year with fresh gas or keep them completely hidden?

I may send one off for porting and use it, but I need to get rid of one of the 50cc saws I already have. The other one I would like to keep NIB for atleast awhile and try to sell it.

Maybe I am just wishful thinking the 346 will become valuable, and I know I love my 550xp and I can understand how the next generation may not care about the 346xp.

I also realize there are countless millions of 346's out there.

So any thoughts on if they might go up in value or is the next year the best time to sell them.... If I can let them go.

Keep in the box and store under a bed somewhere. No fuel mix or oil. Otherwise you lose the NIB status, which drives up selling prices on ebay in the case where you end up selling them.

Yep, I agree with Phil, just leave them in the factory boxes and don't ever gas them up. Leave them in a dry place away from UV and they should store just fine that way for a very long time. I see (the older 75cc) new XPW 372's going for good money on ebay.

From my observation, what makes older generation saws valuable is when their replacement is perceived to be a lesser saw. ie, the case with the 200T/201T Stihls and to some extent with the 044/440/441.

Since the 550 seems to be well received, not so sure the 346 is going to shoot up in value. One clue is that the NIB ones remaining are selling for less than retail in most instances.

Of course if you keep it for 10 years or so, you will likely find a market for it...

From my observation, what makes older generation saws valuable is when their replacement is perceived to be a lesser saw. ie, the case with the 200T/201T Stihls and to some extent with the 044/440/441.

Since the 550 seems to be well received, not so sure the 346 is going to shoot up in value. One clue is that the NIB ones remaining are selling for less than retail in most instances.

Of course if you keep it for 10 years or so, you will likely find a market for it...

New motors are lubed on the inside (with more lube than bar oil and gas/oil mix have in them), so they won't benefit from putting oil and gas in the tanks at all IMO. Just keep 'em in the box in a closet. I'm not sure you will get your money back out of them anytime soon, but I've been wrong more times than I can count.

I had a weak moment and went to a husky dealer to get a 346xp before they were gone, while there I ended up buying the last two he could get justifying it as an investment. I put them away and only opened one to look at it, but its driving me crazy not to gas and oil one up and use it.

I'm asking for advice on how I should store them, is just leaving them in the card board box they came in okay as long as they are in a nice dry place?
Should I use them a little bit each year with fresh gas or keep them completely hidden?

I may send one off for porting and use it, but I need to get rid of one of the 50cc saws I already have. The other one I would like to keep NIB for atleast awhile and try to sell it.

Maybe I am just wishful thinking the 346 will become valuable, and I know I love my 550xp and I can understand how the next generation may not care about the 346xp.

I also realize there are countless millions of 346's out there.

So any thoughts on if they might go up in value or is the next year the best time to sell them.... If I can let them go.

I say use one and enjoy it for sure. If it ever got stolen or crushed u have a back up.

After owning the stock 550xp and 545. I sold all my like new stock 346's I had on the shelves. I liked the newer saws that much better.

Only 346 I have left is a like new Dan Henry dozerdan woods ported OE 346 that cuts right with the NE 346 woods ported out there. :msp_tongue:

In box storage is your best bet IMO. You're not going to help anything by letting any type of gas (even special treated stuff) sit in it for extended period of times.

I don't think they will ever really lose value, the question is whether they will really gain value. Also a question of whether they will be still wanted by mainstream users as work equipment or only as collectors items.

Right now saws like the 375 xpw or even 262 are desired because they are still very competitive top performing saws, and some poeple may not like the alternatives for fear of new technology etc.

I don't really think that the 346s will jump in value like the MS 200T is doing or anything like that. I wouldn't necessarily view it as a real money making investment, and I wouldnt expect a good ROI down the line. THat said you probably wont lose money, and if it brings you peace of mind then it's not a bad decision or move.

In box storage is your best bet IMO. You're not going to help anything by letting any type of gas (even special treated stuff) sit in it for extended period of times.

I don't think they will ever really lose value, the question is whether they will really gain value. Also a question of whether they will be still wanted by mainstream users as work equipment or only as collectors items.

Right now saws like the 375 xpw or even 262 are desired because they are still very competitive top performing saws, and some poeple may not like the alternatives for fear of new technology etc.

I don't really think that the 346s will jump in value like the MS 200T is doing or anything like that. I wouldn't necessarily view it as a real money making investment, and I wouldnt expect a good ROI down the line. THat said you probably wont lose money, and if it brings you peace of mind then it's not a bad decision or move.

+1 I can think of many other investments which would most likely give a much greater ROI. I kinda sorta doubt it would even maintain parity with inflation, let alone turn a profit. But, who knows, people can be nuts what they will pay for a collectible, decades later.

With that said, if they were mine, just keep them forever and switch to a new one once the older one has been used abused screwed and tatooed and rebuilt several times. Basically a lifetime of nice saws.

If you do an advanced search "completed" on Ebay, you'll find not a single NIB 346 has sold in past 2 months. There's a guy trying to get $699, but that's wishful thinking. That's clear evidence on the acceptance of the 550xp.

I have climate controlled storage so you should just send them both to me for safekeeping. lol

I have a 346xp NIB and a couple of 372xpw(s) 75cc version NIB. It will be interesting to see how much they appreciate in up coming years. Worst case scenario, you could always just run em.

If you do an advanced search "completed" on Ebay, you'll find not a single NIB 346 has sold in past 2 months. There's a guy trying to get $699, but that's wishful thinking. That's clear evidence on the acceptance of the 550xp.

Also, there are still plenty out there in dealer stock. I've got 7 or 8 myself.

I'd predict that there will be some future demand here in the AS world for guys who want to have one ported and such. But in the real world the 550 is so good that once the word gets out it will be the preferred saw to own. And yes, away from places like AS it does take a lot longer for such a message to get out. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back