new ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I needed a new power saw. While I was searchin' the web for info on a saw, I ran across this site. I lurked for a while and learned a little. I was deciding between some 50cc and some 60cc saws. I decided on a Stihl 362. There is a dealer close who I know pretty good, so I decided to give him my business. Most of the pros around here run Huskys. I've always liked
the look of Stihls. My old saw is a Jonsered 590. Good saw. I've had it for about 23yrs or so. I almost bought another 50cc saw, but then decided to get the baby big saw instead.

The 357xp was gonna cost $100.00 more than the Stihl ms362 in these parts, so it was a no brainer for me. And I got the "wood pro" kit with it, so that's another 85$ or so retail value over the Husky. A 346xp was gonna be almost as much as the 357.

I ran a tank of gas through it today to fall and buck several 8" trees that were threatening a powerline on the farm.

My quick review: The 362 is just a little heavier than the 590. Not a big deal, it's still pretty lightweight. The 362 is maybe a little bulky for a small saw, but not too bad, it still handles and feels nice in the hands with an 18" bar. It has decent power and apparently will get stronger, so it will be good for me. It revs quick and clean and I wanted a responsive motor. The powerband is quite a bit longer than the little Johny and torquey too. My kind of power, as I am not highly skilled. I don't have to be quite as careful with the throttle. I don't do much other than clear trees off fencelines, cut a little firewood, and take down snags here and there before they wreck a fence or building or something.

Anyway, I LIKE the tethered flippy caps, and don't understand the problem some have with them. It starts pretty easily (once you get the procedure figured out for a cold start) and, given a little warm-up time (like any motor likes) it just rips right along. The clear fuel tank is nice. The decompression button is great. The side chain adjuster is also a nice touch. It is smoooth running and actually decently quiet. I'm guessing it will get even smoother and just a little louder as time goes on. I'm quite happy so far.

The 50cc saw was perfect most of the time, but is tiresome in larger (14" and bigger) trees.

It's nice to have a new powersaw! I hope it works for the next 20 years for me. That's why I bought a pro model. I want it to last a long time and to be totally rebuildable along the way. And I like good tools.

I will be mostly just lurking around. Thanks to the site for helping make the right decision for me.

To me, 59cc is pretty big. I've worked around literally hundreds of saw hands over the years, and most guys are carrying a saw larger than they need with more bar than they'll ever use (at least the young ones are, the older guys usually run a 70cc saw with a 18-20" bar, which is plenty of saw for what they do).

I didn't look at a 441. What is "m-tonics"?

Last edited:
To me, 59cc is pretty big. I've worked around literally hundreds of saw hands over the years, and most guys are carrying a saw larger than they need with more bar than they'll ever use (at least the young ones are, the older guys usually run a 70cc saw with a 18-20" bar, which is plenty of saw for what they do).

M-tonics are the drinks you have before you run out and spend that much money on a new 441! :cheers:

M tronic is a new gen saw that eliminates the L and H carb adjustment screws and compensates for dirty air filter,changes in elevation and fuel quality.

Thats really a good point IMHO. I have more saw (s) than I will ever need. But thats what i like. Realistically, IMHO, i feel you are right. I also believe you got one fine saw. Congrats. Do you have any pics?

Glad you like it. The 362 is a killer saw. I like it alot better than a 361. They run really well after about 20-25 tanks. If you mod the muffler you will be impressed with it. Even if you don't mod it, it's still alot of saw and is plenty for a farmers needs. My farm saw is a stihl 260. I sold my 361 to get a 362 but ended up with a Husky 372xpw instead. :D

Thats really a good point IMHO. I have more saw (s) than I will ever need. But thats what i like. Realistically, IMHO, i feel you are right. I also believe you got one fine saw. Congrats. Do you have any pics?

Ya, I think I did ok. Sorry, I don't have pics and I wouldn't know how to get them on here anyway, LOL.

Glad you like it. The 362 is a killer saw. I like it alot better than a 361. They run really well after about 20-25 tanks. If you mod the muffler you will be impressed with it. Even if you don't mod it, it's still alot of saw and is plenty for a farmers needs. My farm saw is a stihl 260. I sold my 361 to get a 362 but ended up with a Husky 372xpw instead. :D

Many on here said just that about the 362. That's the biggest reason I went with it, especially the part about the broad powerband. I need that. I like to tinker sometimes and I might even mod the muffler, eventually. For now though, I'm good stock. I think I might open the fuel screws and run 32:1. Any thoughts??

Many on here said just that about the 362. That's the biggest reason I went with it, especially the part about the broad powerband. I need that. I like to tinker sometimes and I might even mod the muffler, eventually. For now though, I'm good stock. I think I might open the fuel screws and run 32:1. Any thoughts??

I run about 45:1. I think anything thicker than 40:1 is not needed. Thats a debated topic on here but I've ran 50:1 for years in my Stihls. Just started running the Klotz Techniplate and running it at 45:1.

I run about 45:1. I think anything thicker than 40:1 is not needed. Thats a debated topic on here but I've ran 50:1 for years in my Stihls. Just started running the Klotz Techniplate and running it at 45:1.

Right. Especially a stock saw I would imagine 50:1. If I were the OP, I would use Stihl Ultra.

You got yourself a fine saw their Sir i have owned mine for almost 2 year's and they do get stronger as they break in mine wear's a 20in B/C handles it well it shart's well cold or hot i did do a MM on mine helped alot.Good luck and be safe.

50:1 Sthil Ultra in all my saws. My MS362 is still my go to saw for 80% of my cutting. Recently, I had it out, using it to clean up a blow down in my back yard and my neighbor stopped over. He didn't see the saw sitting on the ground and ran it over with his Honda Rancher, a small scratch on the recoil cover was the only damage. I was impressed, its a tough saw.

Thought I'd bring this back from the dead for a sec.

I put about 5 or 6 tanks thru the 362 yesterday (I've got about 8 tanks thru'er now), felling and partially bucking some (about 15 trees)16-20" poplar snags threatening another powerline near the house. Boy, do I have some clean-up to do now! LOL.

I still really like the operation of the flippy caps, however I don't like the fact that junk builds up in the tiny recess which surrounds them. It is too easy to get junk in the fuel tank/oil tank. I'll try to be careful. The caps should be a flush fit on the edge, I think.

The oiler supplies just enough oil, IMO for the 18" bar, or maybe 20" max. It came from the shop turned all the way up. I checked it.

The dinky little single dawg works pretty good, actually. I have the bigger dawgs on the way, though. Now I don't know if I'll even use them. We'll see.

It burns a lot more gas than the 590 Johny, but still less than a big saw. It needs a slightly bigger tank. There's no way it will run hard for 20min. I am out of shape and I was just running it until it was empty, filling, and running again. About a tank and a half before a real break was needed. The oiler tank falls a little behind the fuel tank in consumption, so good there.

Smooooth saw, alright. You pretty much don't even know you have a motor in your hands. The old Johny is smooth too, but not quite as refined feeling. The 362 is a little better feeling saw.

I haven't checked the plug or anything, but it runs lean-ish, I'd say. The HS screw is all the way rich from the shop, and so is the LS screw. This saw has a 2 year warranty due to me using the stihl oil that came with the saw. So I probably have to leave the limiters on, but I'd rather have it running just a little "coarser". Hmmm.. We'll see pretty soon how it's really gonna run (maybe another few tanks??).

Power-wise, it is perfect for me. It bucks to full 18" bar depth just nicely and doesn't slow down or lose power at all. It's all about how sharp the chain is anyway.

No matter how you figure it, it's still just a chainsaw and old ones work just as good as new ones (as long as they have a chain brake and anti vibe, that is IMO). So for anyone who might feel bad about being in the used-saw market, don't.

But I'm still glad I bought this one. :clap: :cheers:

Back