New MS440 - Feast Your Eyes!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Since I'm sitting in the barbershop waiting on a haircut, ill ask do the flippy caps start to leak about after a year?

Some of them have the wrong o ring and plastic type in them and are not compatible with Ethanol fuels,,, and they do swell up and dont fit right,,,, they have a letter designation on the inside take i tto the stihl dealer it may qualify for replacement,,, they (Stihl) do have a re-call on going for the ones that are not Alcohol rated...

Anyone who doesn't have enough sense to moderate how they tighten a fuel cap has ABSOLUTELY no business running a tool as complicated and dangerous as a chainsaw!!!
JMHO

Mike

It isnt a one time thing, atleast that Ive seen. A guy that keeps the caps a bit too tight, and continues to over-tighten them, from what I gather will slowly weaken the structural integrity of the cap center.
I know that sounded all nerd-like, but I dont know how else to say it. When the gas cap on my 064 let go, I hardly had it tightened down. My only guess is that it was weak from the previous owner over tightening it.

I normally only go hand tight on my saws. Only problem Ive had was misaligning the cap on my
261, and scattering some bar oil.

Yes, men, there was a problem with ordinary tank caps, created by Stihl. Stihl stuck a label on the housing showing that the caps should be tightened by the Stihl scrench. Many strong men tightened the caps so tight that they could hardly untighten them with the same scrench to add more fuel or chain oil.

The caps then got all buggered up and eventually wore out and nothing could tighten or untighten them (except maybe a Vice Grip), and even really large screwdrivers failed. So, new caps had to be bought from the dealer, and they weren't cheap.

I doubt that either tank cap really needed to be tighted with the scrench. A typical saw operater could have tightened the tank caps by hand and then used the scrench, if need be, to loosen them. That's MHO.

Wait. Are you trying to say that Stihl felt their average user was not smart enough to work a screw-on cap, and so came out with flippy caps? Uh...

Last edited:
Even with the mighty 2101, and mighty 660 in my lineup. I will never part with my 044, and still use it alot.

Right O Sawtroll! The fact that my 372, and 44 get used with owning the 2101, and 660, say's alot. I do get a laugh when guy's claim there 70cc saw's will cut like my 2101, and 660. :laugh:I think the 372, and 044 are two of the best all around saw's ever built. In the best of the best class:msp_thumbup:

where are you guys finding these things? Id buy two right now if i could get them. b/c we all know the 460 is too heavy and the 441 has too much emission junk, plus its as heavy as the 460.

Pm me if you can know where one is, or can get one, or two, or three

where are you guys finding these things? Id buy two right now if i could get them. b/c we all know the 460 is too heavy and the 441 has too much emission junk, plus its as heavy as the 460.

Pick up the phone and call some dealers yourself? :monkey:

Well I found mine by PM'ing Brad and telling him I wanted one. I'd start there if I were you.

Wait. Are you trying to say that Stihl felt their average user was not smart enough to work a screw-on cap, and so came out with flippy caps? Uh...
No, I never said that. I think Stihl just plain blew it when they stuck a label on thousands of saws and told the operator to tighten the caps with a scrench. I have now repaired or tuned up about a dozen of these saws and most of the time it takes Vice Grips to remove the caps.

The caps themselves are in atrocious shape from the owner tries to undo them several times after tightening them with the scrench. Eventually the caps fail, and that is all too soon.

Had the owner simply hand tightened the caps securely, I imagine they would have worked fine and lasted forever, but there is that icon label staring them in the face and asking the owner to tighten them with the scrench. Some owners are rather strong men trying to get a job done.

Last edited:
Right O Sawtroll! The fact that my 372, and 44 get used with owning the 2101, and 660, say's alot. I do get a laugh when guy's claim there 70cc saw's will cut like my 2101, and 660. :laugh:I think the 372, and 044 are two of the best all around saw's ever built. In the best of the best class:msp_thumbup:

Surely - the 70cc saws obviously doesn't compare to the to those much larger ones! :msp_smile:

Back