New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that rubber was a lot more durable, especially if you have a habit of pulling a saw out of a pinch.

Springs give a saw a different feel, and some people prefer the bushings. I'm fine with either, but prefer the springs in my limbing saw.

Rubber wears out faster in my experience (even if not used). It is also a lot more vibration prone. The 461 has a LOT less vibration than the 460 does though, so they can get the rubber mount saws to vibrate less, but it took a lot of engineering in the engine to do that.

I have not heard anything about the 462, even in the EU. Things that the 462 will certainly have are a spring mount system to satisfy the new US and older EU standards for vibration exposure. It will have an Mtronic carb and ignition control unit here and in the EU. It will also likely have the same (or nearly the same) engine as the 461. After the 661 fiasco, they are likely to be far far more conservative on any new release of saws. They will most certainly have a R model version, and in Eastern Europe a non-Mtronic model. Other than that I would not expect much else or anything exotic, like carbon fiber or EFI. They have been showing off the carbon fiber saws at shows, but they would be insanely expensive to produce. EFI is a ways off yet in chainsaws, even though they are available in cut off saws not from Stihl.

Keep in mind that the 461 was only a stop gap release and not intended to be in production long term. They needed a saw to replace the 460 and the 441, and in a hurry.

..... After the 661 fiasco, they are likely to be far far more conservative on any new release of saws. .....
I'm not sure how much of a fiasco the 661 really will be, in the second edition. The initial specs are impressive - but actual performance doesn't look impressive at all, when the smaller and much lower rated 390xp outcuts it?

I have plenty of trigger time on 440's. Not that bad, but springs are better, more durable and more consistent over time.

Fellas on here have said its the design of the engine that helped the saw get smoother for havin rubber mounts..idk if thats true or not but it definitley feels smoother than a 440/460 to me...it kinda surprised me when i ran one for the first time.

I'm not sure how much of a fiasco the 661 really will be, in the second edition. The initial specs are impressive - but actual performance doesn't look impressive at all, when the smaller and much lower rated 390xp outcuts it?

I usually agree with you niko , but a stock 390 wont outcut a 661.

They still use flip phones too!

Thats true ..but my flip phone never froze..wasnt as weather sensitive and was tougher than this pile of **** smartphone i got 2 years ago..some guys like what works and what works consistently..hobby guys have a total different perspective sometimes about what is "best"

I thought that rubber was a lot more durable, especially if you have a habit of pulling a saw out of a pinch.

Springs give a saw a different feel, and some people prefer the bushings. I'm fine with either, but prefer the springs in my limbing saw.

It seems springs would be more beneficial in bigger wood with a longer bar on stronger powerhead....dont you think mike ?

Spring saws feel like these to me ,too mushy
6a00d8341c4f9453ef0105361a23d7970b-800wi

Spring saws feel like these to me ,too mushy

Run a Stihl 361. They have springs and the are not mushy. Same with the Husky 372. The original US 441 was mushy, but they gave it stiffer Z springs in later models which helped. The 441 was a dud though. I sold mine pretty fast. Not what I am looking for in a 70+cc saw.

They should just resurrect the 361 and call it a day.

More awesome than a 362c for sure.

Yes indeed. I have my three 361s though, so I am set for life regardless of what Stihl does in the 60cc line. I also have my 310 weenie homeowner saw, and my 036 PRO saw that I can use, depending on if I feel like a PRO or a homeowner.

Speaking of Husky saws, were is that 'supposed to be in production several years ago' replacement for the crappy 372xt/xp? By crappy, look at the specs on the substantial increase in vibration over the earlier 372xp models. Never mind the X-torque nonsense.

Run a Stihl 361. They have springs and the are not mushy. Same with the Husky 372. The original US 441 was mushy, but they gave it stiffer Z springs in later models which helped. The 441 was a dud though. I sold mine pretty fast. Not what I am looking for in a 70+cc saw.

I almost bought a 361 ,the guy brought it out here ,i started it and it seemed to jump around in the chassis idling ,even worse when i set it on the ground running ,

Yes indeed. I have my three 361s though, so I am set for life regardless of what Stihl does in the 60cc line. I also have my 310 weenie homeowner saw, and my 036 PRO saw that I can use, depending on if I feel like a PRO or a homeowner.

20151127_090847.jpg
I just got myself this jewel , you could mistake it for NOS from a step back , i dont think it saw a tank of gas.

I traded a decent 440 for another 361 thats in the same shape :)

Back