New saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerran

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wondering what the best replacement for my current chains is. My old chains are Oregon 72LGX but the cutters are a couple filings away from being worn out. I saw the new stuff is 72DPX is that what I should be going with? I'm set up with sharpening for semi-chisel.

Mainly doing firewood here in the PNW (Doug Fir, White Fir, Lodgepole, occasional hardwoods)

Wondering what the best replacement for my current chains is. My old chains are Oregon 72LGX but the cutters are a couple filings away from being worn out. I saw the new stuff is 72DPX is that what I should be going with? I'm set up with sharpening for semi-chisel.

Mainly doing firewood here in the PNW (Doug Fir, White Fir, Lodgepole, occasional hardwoods)

The new stuff is very good, blue side plates indicate such. Has a very very smooth sharp grind out of the box with a perfect gullet. Minimal stretch on this chain as well, only had a 1/4” sag on a 20” after typical run time. Much better than the previous chain.

72 sounds like .050 so make sure that when you buy your new chain it actually has 72 stamped on the side of the driver. Sometimes the boneheads behind the counter don’t give a crap and give you a different number.

For duribility I like Stihl RS. That's full chisel, but you're cutting softwood, and you can file the teeth just as easy as semi chisel.[emoji111]
Oh I tried to get some of that good stuff at the stihl dealership... walked in and asked for some RS in 058 and the guy said “that’s husky chain”.
I walked out lol

Oh I tried to get some of that good stuff at the stihl dealership... walked in and asked for some RS in 058 and the guy said “that’s husky chain”.
I walked out lol
Yeah not all dealers are created equal. I get any gauge local, cheaper online though. The cost is worth to me it just seems to hold an edge that much longer. Liked Carlton too but they're no more.

I have one of the new Oregon chains with the “blue” cutters. I think a 75JGX (full skip pro chain) and have been impressed with it. My OEM husky chain was mediocre.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have one of the new Oregon chains with the “blue” cutters. I think a 75JGX (full skip pro chain) and have been impressed with it. My OEM husky chain was mediocre.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Running the 75JGX on my 36” 9010, works great.

Well I just put my last chain on at the end of last season I believe they were purchased from Baileys a while back. I'll check the local saw shops for some of the 72JGX if it's around. I cleaned up my bar today and basically was getting the saw set up for next year. I should likely grab another chain for my 346 as well.

Either would work here with what I'm cutting but I'm only running a 24 inch bar.

Either would work here with what I'm cutting but I'm only running a 24 inch bar.
You want full comp on a 24" bar. If you can give a loop is Stihl chain a try sometime, you'll be suprized at the duribility, Oregon chain just doesn't hold an edge like Stihl chain.[emoji106]

You want full comp on a 24" bar. If you can give a loop is Stihl chain a try sometime, you'll be suprized at the duribility, Oregon chain just doesn't hold an edge like Stihl chain.[emoji106][/Q]

Can I use the same filing guides I use on the Oregon on Stihl RS?

I generally use a older Granberg File n Joint I'vbe had for a long time with a 7/16" file. I'm usually only needing to file once a trip.

If I was the OP cutting his type of wood I'd go full chisel for sure. But if you get Oregon cheaper and want semi chisel try to get DP instead of DPX which gas the safety bumper/ramp in front of the cutter. I'd try some of Oregon's new full chisel offerings..EXL?

I run skip on all my chains. Fewer cutters to sharpen is a BIG plus. I don't know the downside, what is it?

It’s slower less efficient use of the power available with a particular power head/bar length combo. Myself I don’t go full skip till 185 driver 60” bars from there down to about 32” 105 drivers it’s semi skip and 28” 93 driver it’s full comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back