New saw compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took my 461 about 15 tanks or so to loosen up ,it was weird it was like a different saw once broke in
I agree completely....I must be the tight tolerances because I really noticed a difference...... I kept hearing people say you will notice when it's broke in, didn't know you tell that big of a difference.... as you stated it just seemed to start waking up with more tanks!!!

I agree completely....I must be the tight tolerances because I really noticed a difference...... I kept hearing people say you will notice when it's broke in, didn't know you tell that big of a difference.... as you stated it just seemed to start waking up with more tanks!!!
15 tanks will probably take me a few weeks. That unlimited coil I put on is great. Damn thing wasn't cheap though that's for sure. No denying wether it's four stroking or bouncing off the limiter. I got it pretty rich right now. It pretty much cleans up completely in the cut but if you lift a tiny bit it starts four stroking. Confirming this with the tach it was at 13500. When I pulled the plug to do the compression test you could tell it was running plenty rich. I'm confident it will stay out of that dreaded "bin of dead stihls"

15 tanks will probably take me a few weeks. That unlimited coil I put on is great. Damn thing wasn't cheap though that's for sure. No denying wether it's four stroking or bouncing off the limiter. I got it pretty rich right now. It pretty much cleans up completely in the cut but if you lift a tiny bit it starts four stroking. Confirming this with the tach it was at 13500. When I pulled the plug to do the compression test you could tell it was running plenty rich. I'm confident it will stay out of that dreaded "bin of dead stihls"
Hell ya that's what I like to hear....was the 4-stroking sound and the coil bouncing very different sounds???

Hell ya that's what I like to hear....was the 4-stroking sound and the coil bouncing very different sounds???
for an untrained ear like mine, it can be confusing if it's the coil limiting it or it's four stroking. I'm pretty certain the only time the coil was limiting me before I switched was when I was tuning it OUT of the wood. I have the saw tuned pretty much the same way I had it before, but now I KNOW when i'm lifting in the cut, it's not the coil for sure. So to answer your question, I'm not 100 percent sure of how different the sounds are. Maybe someone else will enlighten us on how drastic the sound difference is.

for an untrained ear like mine, it can be confusing if it's the coil limiting it or it's four stroking. I'm pretty certain the only time the coil was limiting me before I switched was when I was tuning it OUT of the wood. I have the saw tuned pretty much the same way I had it before, but now I KNOW when i'm lifting in the cut, it's not the coil for sure. So to answer your question, I'm not 100 percent sure of how different the sounds are. Maybe someone else will enlighten us on how drastic the sound difference is.
Ya I believe I can tell a difference in the cut, but there is a VERY fine line... I could be totally wrong as I am a rookie compared to most of these guys....

If this saw were run lean, you'd see the scoring on the exhaust side, not the intake side. The intake side is cooled by the incoming charge and the exhaust sees the hottest temps from exhaust gasses. Quite honestly, I don't know what to think of this. I've never seen anything quite like it. It appears that the rest of the piston/cylinder is pristine.

I would definitely pressure/vac test this saw, just to be safe. I would also trim the limiters on the carb. Tune the H so fat that it won't run clean in the cut, then slowly lean it out until it does. That's the only way that you can tune a rev limited saw. Personally, I would put a MS460 coil on it so that there's no way to mistake the rev limited for 4-stroking.

BTW, your cylinder looks fantastic. Once you get a new piston in there, you'll have a brand new saw again for only about $50.
Looks like it ate something!

You need to have some fun with that guy when you go back. Tell him you checked the reed valve and they were fine. Tell him the muffler bearing was seized up and the fly ball governor had a nick in it.
Hey, there is such
That needs to be a new Arborist site acronym...... BODS........ The notorious yet fictional "Bin Of Dead Stihls"

Maybe someone else will enlighten us on how drastic the sound difference is.
Hard to tell, but the best comparison I've found is the recommendation of "listening to rally races" and how their engines sound right before they shift - sort of like a 'BEPBEPBEPBEP' staccato is the rev limiter.

Easy to tell with a tacho: the rev's will drop to ~6820rpm (at least on a 193t)

As for breaking in - I've put around 2.5gal's thru it, and the piston rings STILL have striations like they are brand new.....

Oh the dreaded bin of dead stihls lmao....I know this is a rudimentary question, but if you hold the saw in your hands, then you grab the pull start cord and gently let go of the handle bar and just hold on to the pull cord what happens.... does the saw drop fast, slow, in stages, not at all????

if you think you are a mechanic you lost all credibility with this post!!! you suck! let me know the shop that hired you so i know not to deal with them!!!

I have had the 461R almost 2 years now and truthfully probably only have 20-30 hours on it. I use it primarily for falling and bucking larger firewood trees on my property ( Softwood)
I love this saw.... It balances fairly nicely with a 32 inch Stihl Light bar, tons of power, no electronics... all a plus to me. I added a dual port muffler cover and opened up the factory opening , pulled limiters on the carb and tuned it in the cut ( Also checking with tach) The amount of time it saves me compared to running a 50cc saw is amazing in the bigger wood, roughly around 1/3rd the cut time on say a 26 inch diameter chunk of Alder. It actually kind of sucks since I would like to run the saw more.....LOL. I cant say enough good things about this saw really. It seems like it took about 5 tanks of fuel before it started to loosen up. Not sure how much of that is in the powerhead compared to things lapping together on the bar/chain. This saw and a 50cc saw and you pretty much have most things covered!!! :) The only thing I might still do to it is put an unlimited coil on it for easier tuning.
As a side note, Just my opinion, but I don't think you were the reason for the issue on the original piston, almost looks like foreign object damage from the factory.... Stihl might have screwed the pooch on this one I think, sorry that that happened to your brand new saw,,,,,

LO phuck'n L, your a 461 virgin yet!!!! you don't even have a valid opinion!

Bin of Dead Stihls :rock:

660 FTW :cheers:

Latest posts

Back