New saw compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you think you are a mechanic you lost all credibility with this post!!! you suck! let me know the shop that hired you so i know not to deal with them!!!

LO phuck'n L, your a 461 virgin yet!!!! you don't even have a valid opinion!

Bin of Dead Stihls :rock:

660 FTW :cheers:
Did you miss or read OVER the part that said RUDIMENTARY...I was simply trying to see if the damn thing dropped like a rock or not.....come on man!!!!

I ran 3 more tanks through it today. I cleaned it all up and put on a 28 inch bar for tomorrow. It's definitely getting some power to it now. feels and sounds really really good. Right now I have 6 tanks since I changed piston and rings and about 9 tanks I would guess since the saw was new. Will probably put 3 more tanks through it tomorrow. I have a big 30 inch red oak to buck up. It was a good day in the woods, nice weather here in new jersey.

I ran 3 more tanks through it today. I cleaned it all up and put on a 28 inch bar for tomorrow. It's definitely getting some power to it now. feels and sounds really really good. Right now I have 6 tanks since I changed piston and rings and about 9 tanks I would guess since the saw was new. Will probably put 3 more tanks through it tomorrow. I have a big 30 inch red oak to buck up. It was a good day in the woods, nice weather here in new jersey.
That's great, let her brake in, you will love it...

Did you miss or read OVER the part that said RUDIMENTARY...I was simply trying to see if the damn thing dropped like a rock or not.....come on man!!!!
Awwwww, don't worry about westcoaster90, he's just a washed up blowhard from lala land up island, been eating too much garbage out of the logger dump with the black bears.......rotted the last Lil bit of his brain out..... :laugh: . So far as no valid opinion on the 461, I have run it enough to know it's a well made saw and also a favorite with a lot of loggers in this area...... ( cracks me up, this coming from a guy who runs a 461 at 16500 rpm and complains it doesn't last as long as he'd like and it hurts his Itty bitty fingers......:dumb: A regular Paul Bunyan from how he describes his experiences, except he needs the big blue Ox to haul all his Bulls hit behind him in a giant cart....... legendary!! :bowdown:

Awwwww, don't worry about westcoaster90, he's just a washed up blowhard from lala land up island, been eating too much garbage out of the logger dump with the black bears.......rotted the last Lil bit of his brain out..... :laugh: . So far as no valid opinion on the 461, I have run it enough to know it's a well made saw and also a favorite with a lot of loggers in this area...... ( cracks me up, this coming from a guy who runs a 461 at 16500 rpm and complains it doesn't last as long as he'd like and it hurts his Itty bitty fingers......:dumb: A regular Paul Bunyan from how he describes his experiences, except he needs the big blue Ox to haul all his Bulls hit behind him in a giant cart....... legendary!! :bowdown:

my 461 lasted just fine at that RPM and if you didn't notice i said i liked the way the saw ran. the bin of dead stihls is real though even though i did not have one die myself. i fully expect this kind of love from a stihl guy after my post. stihl guys are all the same online and in camp. butt hurt if their brand gets dissed and make every ditch effort to defend what they own. which of course is ok but the current situation is that stihls are no longer what they once were no matter what you or anyone else says and having owned a 461/661 and fell with both i can say they still handle like a gut shot seagull. the bins of dead stihls are proof they are no longer as reliable as they once were. i wish i took more pics of all the dead stihls there. i never looked into any of them so some could be an easy repair but one heck of alot of dead stihls nonetheless. for the record, i own many stihls and also many huskies. i just own the good ones. your brain has been fed by the stihl BS NWC. i'm gonna go ahead and assume you are german lol so here i have provided info about what i have seen and my opinions towards the new stihls while you only name call (an indication you are butt hurt and defending your brand at all costs).

We were in the woods at sunrise cutting away. Got another 3 tanks ran through it. Bucked up and noodled a 30 inch red oak with a 28 inch bar. This saw makes quick work of things for sure. It is all I will ever need. Gonna get everything cleaned up, do a compression test and take a peak inside the cylinder. The way it's running I'm expecting good results.

image.jpg 9 tanks of fuel has been ran through it since new piston and rings. It's right about 154psi. It handles that 28 inch bar with rs chain no problem at all. Pulled the muffler cover and things look great. Exhaust side of piston is pristine. Intake side of cylinder is looking really good. Just that one spot where I sanded the transfer off the cylinder is a different " sheen" compared to the rest of the cylinder but it is shrinking in size. I believe it's the rings not seated fully yet on that portion of the cylinder. I'm not worried about it at all, it's running flawlessly and gaining power every tank I put through it. I would be completely satisfied if this was all the power to come out of this saw, but I think there's a little more to gain with a few more tanks. I'm glad it's not sitting on a shelf at the dealer with a repair tag on it waiting for warranty work to get done. I got everything done I wanted to and then some this weekend.

So, are you running it currently with the stock muffler, or the dual port?

I can't speak for the 461, but my 460 became a whole different saw once I opened up the muffler. I'm just running a OEM single port, but I opened it up a decent amount.

So, are you running it currently with the stock muffler, or the dual port?

I can't speak for the 461, but my 460 became a whole different saw once I opened up the muffler. I'm just running a OEM single port, but I opened it up a decent amount.
Dual port. I did it not for performance, but to let more heat out of the engine.

View attachment 538327 9 tanks of fuel has been ran through it since new piston and rings. It's right about 154psi. It handles that 28 inch bar with rs chain no problem at all. Pulled the muffler cover and things look great. Exhaust side of piston is pristine. Intake side of cylinder is looking really good. Just that one spot where I sanded the transfer off the cylinder is a different " sheen" compared to the rest of the cylinder but it is shrinking in size. I believe it's the rings not seated fully yet on that portion of the cylinder. I'm not worried about it at all, it's running flawlessly and gaining power every tank I put through it. I would be completely satisfied if this was all the power to come out of this saw, but I think there's a little more to gain with a few more tanks. I'm glad it's not sitting on a shelf at the dealer with a repair tag on it waiting for warranty work to get done. I got everything done I wanted to and then some this weekend.
Very happy for you man, you got it done!!!

Give it 5-6 more tanks you will be fully satisfied guaranteed!!!

Keep us informed, glad this turned out good!!!!:cheers:

my 461 lasted just fine at that RPM and if you didn't notice i said i liked the way the saw ran. the bin of dead stihls is real though even though i did not have one die myself. i fully expect this kind of love from a stihl guy after my post. stihl guys are all the same online and in camp. butt hurt if their brand gets dissed and make every ditch effort to defend what they own. which of course is ok but the current situation is that stihls are no longer what they once were no matter what you or anyone else says and having owned a 461/661 and fell with both i can say they still handle like a gut shot seagull. the bins of dead stihls are proof they are no longer as reliable as they once were. i wish i took more pics of all the dead stihls there. i never looked into any of them so some could be an easy repair but one heck of alot of dead stihls nonetheless. for the record, i own many stihls and also many huskies. i just own the good ones. your brain has been fed by the stihl BS NWC. i'm gonna go ahead and assume you are german lol so here i have provided info about what i have seen and my opinions towards the new stihls while you only name call (an indication you are butt hurt and defending your brand at all costs).

I like Stihl saws, but I have also ran quite a few Husky saws and like them too. My brother has a nice old 266 that runs like a dream.
To me it is more about opposing a know it all rather than anything to really do with saws. You seem to like spouting off all the time, mostly in an offensive manner..... I am merely trying to emulate your behavior in an opposing fashion. Did I hurt your feelings??:( Not butthurt here, merely trolling the troll, seems to be working. So far as handling, is that what you do in your spare time while in the camp dump? - Fondling dead seagulls??? Disgusting!!! Lol.
Anyways, not sure what you mean about Germans, you are greatly generalizing AGAIN.... and just for the record, ALL of my ancestors are from Sweden. Except one Grandfather from Denmark.
Let the games continue, I am sure we are providing good entertaining content from the amount of popcorn being made.....Lol. :yes::sweet:

View attachment 538327 9 tanks of fuel has been ran through it since new piston and rings. It's right about 154psi. It handles that 28 inch bar with rs chain no problem at all. Pulled the muffler cover and things look great. Exhaust side of piston is pristine. Intake side of cylinder is looking really good. Just that one spot where I sanded the transfer off the cylinder is a different " sheen" compared to the rest of the cylinder but it is shrinking in size. I believe it's the rings not seated fully yet on that portion of the cylinder. I'm not worried about it at all, it's running flawlessly and gaining power every tank I put through it. I would be completely satisfied if this was all the power to come out of this saw, but I think there's a little more to gain with a few more tanks. I'm glad it's not sitting on a shelf at the dealer with a repair tag on it waiting for warranty work to get done. I got everything done I wanted to and then some this weekend.
Nice job, that is within 1psi of where mine was once broken in!! Looks like you have been having some fun :)

I like Stihl saws, but I have also ran quite a few Husky saws and like them too. My brother has a nice old 266 that runs like a dream.
To me it is more about opposing a know it all rather than anything to really do with saws. You seem to like spouting off all the time, mostly in an offensive manner..... I am merely trying to emulate your behavior in an opposing fashion. Did I hurt your feelings??:( Not butthurt here, merely trolling the troll, seems to be working. So far as handling, is that what you do in your spare time while in the camp dump? - Fondling dead seagulls??? Disgusting!!! Lol.
Anyways, not sure what you mean about Germans, you are greatly generalizing AGAIN.... and just for the record, ALL of my ancestors are from Sweden. Except one Grandfather from Denmark.
Let the games continue, I am sure we are providing good entertaining content from the amount of popcorn being made.....Lol. :yes::sweet:

You show me one post where I trolled and didn't make it known with a smiley or something. Then show me a post where I didn't contribute to the topic. Even the post in this thread that hurt your feelings I used smiley's. I don't argue much unless I'm trolling a guy but if I am argueing with you about a real subject; I have experience in that subject and only argue my point if I know what I'm talking about. So in other words, if I'm argueing with you your wrong unless it's an opinion based discussion. that's not being a know it all. Old coots always hate on the young guy with knowledge.

Latest posts

Back