New Saw Purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Neb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well the Homelite 450 just went on fleabay so I may be looking for another saw. No I don't need another one.... but I do frequent this website.

I mentioned in another thread that I found a local Dolmar dealer. The funny thing is that they only have two saws total in the store. One was a 510 and the other a 6400. Nothing else... no filters, chains, bars, saws etc. Just two saws. They said they have six 5100s on order, four of which are already sold and if I wanted one of the others he'd let me have it for 375 out the door with 18 b/c. Montana doesn't have sales tax.

My questions are:

Do they all come stock with .325 pitch? I'd rather have 3/8.

What mount do they use? Small Husky?

For those of you that run a 026/260 and a 5100, Do you really notice that much difference? Are your 026/260 sitting on the shelf at home lonely?

Should I rather contaminate my pool of saws with a Husky and try out that new 346xp?

They use small husqvarna mount. I believe they come with .325 but the dealer should be able to put 3/8" chain on if you want. I read something about the chip deflecter and the 3/8 chain but I can't remember if that needs to be modified. Make sure you get .050 bar

Last edited:
They can be ordered with either .325 or 3/8. The possibility is there to switch to 3/8 later, by swapping a few parts and trimming the chip deflector. My dealer won't order them in .325 unless someone specifically asks. Only weird thing I don't care for is the bar that comes with it. 64 drive links? Come on. Anyway, the Husky mount bars will fit, and will take 68 drive links.

Just got my 5100 today, so no comparison between it and my 346xp yet, but the new toy is the new toy, so I'll likely let the 346 sit a while.

Funny you should mention the 260, my friend has a 260 that I cut some small firewood with Friday night. The 260 don't even get asked to dance no more, sorry. Absolutely a great saw, just not what this or the 346 are capable of being.

They can be ordered with either .325 or 3/8. The possibility is there to switch to 3/8 later, by swapping a few parts and trimming the chip deflector. My dealer won't order them in .325 unless someone specifically asks. Only weird thing I don't care for is the bar that comes with it. 64 drive links? Come on. Anyway, the Husky mount bars will fit, and will take 68 drive links.

Just got my 5100 today, so no comparison between it and my 346xp yet, but the new toy is the new toy, so I'll likely let the 346 sit a while.

Funny you should mention the 260, my friend has a 260 that I cut some small firewood with Friday night. The 260 don't even get asked to dance no more, sorry. Absolutely a great saw, just not what this or the 346 are capable of being.

I agree with everything you are saying with one small exception. The 026/260 can run with the other 2 saws you mention if modified by a qualified builder. Being an older design, very substantial gains can be made by the introduction of more, I assume, modern techniques. While I can't speak for others, mine sure runs like a scalded rabbit, right along with it's similarly modified counterparts.:popcorn:

What would be the real world gains in doing a Muffler Mod on my old 026 Pro? How much power could be expected?

It is still in exceptional shape but is well past the warranty period.

Remember this is the older 3.5 hp version.

10-15 is easily achieved,even on the older units. The big thing is noise. A lot of people don't like the extra noise that comes with the increased power.

What would be the real world gains in doing a Muffler Mod on my old 026 Pro? How much power could be expected?

It is still in exceptional shape but is well past the warranty period.

Remember this is the older 3.5 hp version.

I'm no expert, don't claim to be and will defer to Steve's superior knowledge. I do know the muffler mods will liven it up quite a bit and yes, it will be substantially louder. The loud part does not bother me since I'm half deaf from shooting my whole life and not using the proper hearing protection in the beginning. Although, running an old Clinton chainsaw for years without hearing protection didn't help much either. Steve might be able to help you out in the ways to mod the 026 muffler in the proper manner. I copied his mods for my Dolmar 7900, it looks, sounds and runs great.

The 346XP cannot be ordered with 3/8 chain. It is up to your dealer whether he will let you get 3/8 for free or charge you for a sprocket, bar, and chain. Thats $75 difference right there possibly. Add that to the fact that you can save another $35 on the 5100 vs 346 you might be looking at $110 less, again depending on the dealer.

The 5100 can be ordered with 3/8 and a 18" (really 17") bar which suit it perfectly. Get the 5100, you will not be disappointed.

I dont have an 026 but have ran one a lot. While a good saw its not nearly as fun as the 5100. My 5100 put my Husky 55 (with muffler mod too) out to pasture, and that saw was about the same performance wise as the 026.

Latest posts

Back