new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
An older friend of mine wants to buy a new saw,just for light duty work only using it a couple times a year. Just wandering what you guys would recommend. I think he wants a decent saw at a good price [dont we all] I am a husky guy with a 346 and a 371 and also have a ms 170. I dont know if the make a ms170 anymore but it has always been good to me. Thanks Chub

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a nice new light saw as well, and as far as I can tell from what has been reported here and other places, the Stihl ms211 seems to be a good saw for the money. They say that the saw is peppy for its 35cc and I haven't seen anyone talk bad about them so far.

Husky 346xp is another I really want to see before I buy anything. EVERYONE loves it as far as I can see.

Seems that the ms211 is going for around $269 while the husky pro 346xp is somewhere near $500. Don't know much about the cheaper Huskys.

My BIL has a ms170, I have a ms180. I would spend the extra to get the 180 but that's just my opinion.

Husqvarna 435

I have one, light saw with an attitude, but I have had a little trouble
easily starting it. I want a little saw to start quickly.
I ordered a 435e spring assist starter as a mod,
should be here January 2 2010. It is a light and nimble little saw.
I will advise how this mod works out.

I like my Redmax3800 a lot. I use it a lot. The last one was $199 on Ebay, brand new.
The first one came from bsnelling.
He was testing and modding small saws for a while. Check out his old posts about the 180Stihl,401Dolmar and 3800Redmax.

I suggest these:

MS210 or 211
Husky 440e
MS180 or 181
MS170 or 171

In that order of preference.

Note that a better choice may be the closeout new Husky 350's that are all over Ebay for around $300.

Latest posts

Back