New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi , have been looking at new saws , the MS310 for 389.00 361 for 589.00 , the price between the two are 200.00 , I have 032 now that I bought new in 83 , still works good , I use it for cutting fire wood could use a longer bar from time to time . I want a saw that will last for 20 years cutting fire would , would the price between the saws justify my needs , I like the 361 , but its 200.00 more . Thanks Ted.

000_0556.jpg

tdb said:
Hi , have been looking at new saws , the MS310 for 389.00 361 for 589.00 , the price between the two are 200.00 , I have 032 now that I bought new in 83 , still works good , I use it for cutting fire wood could use a longer bar from time to time . I want a saw that will last for 20 years cutting fire would , would the price between the saws justify my needs , I like the 361 , but its 200.00 more . Thanks Ted.

000_0556.jpg
Think you'll remember the $200 20 years from now?

Those 200 $ will be long forgotten after the joy you will had after 20 years of use of your MS 361. I bet the 310 is a good homeowner saw too, but it depends on how much wood you need to cut.
Please do a quick search here, and you will find a lot of 361 fans. I love mine.
roland

PS. I was reading spacemules mind when I typed it.

Last edited:
tdb said:
I want a saw that will last for 20 years cutting fire wood, would the price between the saws justify my needs, I like the 361, but its 200.00 more.

Ok, you answered your own question - this is a serious, long-term purchase. Buy the saw you want, not the "almost good enough" saw. That $200 difference won't mean crap in a year or two, much less in 20.

You obviously keep your saws around, which means you must take care of them, too, so just get the 361 and enjoy it for the next 20 years.

For my $500+ I will choose the 372xp from Bailey's. As long as they last.

Fred

361. It's easy to cut $200 out of 2 or 3 months spending. Cut a buck or two outta lunch each day and you're there.

The 'price' of quality is much sooner forgotten than the 'cost' of economy.

Chaser

Just repeating the common thread here - get the 361. Your 032 cost more than the 361 after adjustement for inflation...and if in decent shape it's still worth $200. Sell it if you need $200 more!

I'm in the same dilemma as you are. Should I spend more money.
My Sthil dealer has a 361 for 549.oo Hmmm. went there last weekend to get a part for the lawnmower.
Problem was I took the better half with me. Had to she knows better to let me go alone.
I Like the weight difference. and yes it is a pro saw so I know it would last 20 years. with proper care of course.

wagonwheeler said:
The 'price' of quality is much sooner forgotten than the 'cost' of economy.
This is SO true. spend that extra $200 and I dont think you'll even care about it in a few months. Assuming you maintain the saw well, it'll live for quite awhile before needing anything beyond routine maintainence parts.

Then again, a saw that will last 20 years? How about an 032 for $zero (as you already own it and it's running well!)

Stihl 361 vs Husky 372xp for about the same money? People love their 361s but I'd probably go for the Husky... There's no replacement for displacement.

sawn_penn said:
Stihl 361 vs Husky 372xp for about the same money? People love their 361s but I'd probably go for the Husky... There's no replacement for displacement.

But w/ a 372 it's harder to justify a 395 or 660 later...we're trying to keep the 'flow' of things easier for him...

Chaser

Husqvarna 372xp

Yep ...........for the money Baileys has the HUSQVARNA 372XP for $549.95 . 70cc (4.3 cubic inches) Engine Power hp 5.4

Rspike said:
Yep ...........for the money Baileys has the HUSQVARNA 372XP for $549.95 . 70cc (4.3 cubic inches) Engine Power hp 5.4

That is, without a doubt, a really good price on an excellent saw. It'll run about $620 w/ b&c & shipping - I looked into it before sourcing an 066. The 372 is a very good value with a LOT of capability.

Is a local dealer a consideration for you? For some it is, for some it is not.

Chaser

$589 is the recommended list for the 361. Most dealers will give you at least $20 to $40 off, particularly if you buy parts, chains, etc from them. Are you gonna be a regular or a one time shopper? It makes a difference to the dealer.

If you are dead set on the ms361. I can shoot you a link for a new ones at $539.

Last edited:
wagonwheeler said:
But w/ a 372 it's harder to justify a 395 or 660 later...we're trying to keep the 'flow' of things easier for him...

Chaser

Good point. Actually, if it was REALLY me I'd go for the 361, because it'd be a better size for me right now, and would fit better with my current range. The 372xp was just a good price for a lot of saw.

Thanks , for all the advice , I do have a local dealer , Nelson speed shop , Great guys and gals , I looked at newer used saws on E-bay , and how do you know what you get , the dealership has been good to me , took my 032 in a few month ago , I could not get it to run , it would fire if i put gas down the spark plug hole , to make a long story short Barry at the counter took the saw apart , took the carb off , tore the carb apart and there was moisture on the screen, put it back together , pulled the rope , and I have been cutting wood since . He did this at no charge . how can I not buy another saw from them . OK I think I will go with 361 . Thank-you for all the advice . 20years from now I will post a picture of 361 and 032 . I wont be able to wait that long ,I will when I bring it home . Ted.

Last edited:
Back