new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwr27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
put my jred 90 up for sale at local online auction, lookn for something lighter for my 68 years. only would be used to clear large oaks if a storm blew in. have only a husky rancher, now , could get a used 60cc saw ? lokn to spend 300,00 maybe if the drive is blocked fire dept n para medics could not reach house

There is a nice 361 in the classified section. Probably out if your budget is fixed at $300.

There is a nice 361 in the classified section. Probably out if your budget is fixed at $300.
how about this?

Jonsereds chainsaw 16"​

1695363007547.png

askn 120 also has a 70e for sale I think is a 52 ? also read that the "E" model were difficult to get ignition parts for my 90 had points ign

is is a 52

Details​

• Condition
    Used - Good
Early 80's Jonsereds saw, not sure on model but very similar to a 70E. Starts and runs, 16" bar.

I don't think I'd want a saw that has issues finding parts for. Truthfully I'd be looking at a semi modern to modern husqy, stihl or even an echo. (Since you have a budget.)
yeah, am fond of these old Swedish saws after using them when i worked at landclearing n tree work years ago 49s 621 80, 111s 52... Barco loader trucks, prentice old skidder cant recall brand but had a donkey emblem ? detroit 3cly ? Maybe get a old saw to mount on the garage wall

the 90 is going to br on bid2buy auction soon 36" bar i dont know if they ship '
yeah, am fond of these old Swedish saws after using them when i worked at landclearing n tree work years ago 49s 621 80, 111s 52... Barco loader trucks, prentice old skidder cant recall brand but had a donkey emblem ? detroit 3cly ? Maybe get a old saw to mount on the garage wall
was a timberjack skidder1695408063743.png

What is a "large" Oak? Diameter of stem is likely to dictate the size of saw you might need.

If you are fond of Jonsereds- about the earliest starting point might be 600 series saws- 630 being the older and very similar to a Husqvarna 162 but a bit more refined, then the 670 while being that bit gruntier and similar to perhaps a 268XP is its own beast and heavier than the 630- but not by a whole lot, then the 625- which is pretty much a red and black Husqvarna 61.
Or into the 20## saws- like the 2065 and 2070- similar to the original Husqvarna 365 and 371, then onto the 21## - like the 2171 or down to the 2152 if 50cc will do what you need?
The 21## and later Jonsereds are most like their Husqvarna cousins and parts are more easily found.

What is a "large" Oak? Diameter of stem is likely to dictate the size of saw you might need.

If you are fond of Jonsereds- about the earliest starting point might be 600 series saws- 630 being the older and very similar to a Husqvarna 162 but a bit more refined, then the 670 while being that bit gruntier and similar to perhaps a 268XP is its own beast and heavier than the 630- but not by a whole lot, then the 625- which is pretty much a red and black Husqvarna 61.
Or into the 20## saws- like the 2065 and 2070- similar to the original Husqvarna 365 and 371, then onto the 21## - like the 2171 or down to the 2152 if 50cc will do what you need?
The 21## and later Jonsereds are most like their Husqvarna cousins and parts are more easily found.
a row of 60 to 80 ft red oaksalong a 100 ft driveway 3-4 ft base ? this one a rough measure 90 ft the tallest in my area have large cable pull ropes .. old vav to swing limbs...my trusty 90 which i pulled back muscles on thanx foe imfo i will ck things out this weekedDSCN0828.JPGDSCN0802.JPG

Hmm, I'd be sticking with something 70cc minimum... really something closer to 90cc, but back issues dictate a lighter smaller saw. Really something that will pull a 24" bar well. I'd be going with a 372xp, or really I'd rather have a 462 stihl. Both beyond your budget though. The older j-red saws had some fairly comparable husqy models although I admit I'm not much for knowing how they Interchange.

If you can handle the weight- a 70cc + saw is where I would be looking for those.
For me it might be minimum, 670, 2070, 2171, 2172 and maybe up to the 2186 (Husqvarna 385XP cousin) but that is getting up there weight wise- much nicer AV on the newer saws though.
Your old 90 will be 10mm bar stud as well? So your old bar will not really swap over to the never saws that are all D009 large Husqvarna mount- without an adapter of some type to take up the extra stud slot size.

Hmm, I'd be sticking with something 70cc minimum... really something closer to 90cc, but back issues dictate a lighter smaller saw. Really something that will pull a 24" bar well. I'd be going with a 372xp, or really I'd rather have a 462 stihl. Both beyond your budget though. The older j-red saws had some fairly comparable husqy models although I admit I'm not much for knowing how they Interchange.
ok I'll look for something as you suggest. I just wanted to be able to just clear the driveway in half a dayl it is the only road in . Along with the red oaks there are some bigger white oaks in back very nice trees also cherrywood, elm walnut n hard maple. could sell this place n move but after 20 years it is tough to leave. have worked 50 years n still wrk fulltime n The woods are something i enjoy alot. my husky rancher cuts ok 325 chain but works hard in the heavy wood thanx for the advice

most likly getn a newer 50-60 cc saw n a old one to fix up any idea what size this is ? "Been sitting for years with fluids in it. Haven't cranked it. Very nice old school work horse chainsaw. Give her a good tune up and she's gonna be good to go." local ads anything near 70cc is 5-6 hundred many smaller husky rancher styles under 300.001695484336198.png1695484163931.png

most likly getn a newer 50-60 cc saw n a old one to fix up any idea what size this is ? "Been sitting for years with fluids in it. Haven't cranked it. Very nice old school work horse chainsaw. Give her a good tune up and she's gonna be good to go." local ads anything near 70cc is 5-6 hundred many smaller husky rancher styles under 300.00View attachment 1114742View attachment 1114739
IMG_0789.jpeg

most likly getn a newer 50-60 cc saw n a old one to fix up any idea what size this is ? "Been sitting for years with fluids in it. Haven't cranked it. Very nice old school work horse chainsaw. Give her a good tune up and she's gonna be good to go." local ads anything near 70cc is 5-6 hundred many smaller husky rancher styles under 300.00View attachment 1114742View attachment 1114739

Thats an old 65cc saw from 1972-74 by the looks- I believe by recoil cover and location of the ID tag- this one is an L65 from 72-74 ish and the same basic saw as the A65 from around 8-10 years earlier.
Squareground's saw shown below it is a 77- more easily distinguished with the taller cylinder and spark plug that now protrudes through the top cover (that and the intact decals!
Those old saws are torque based saws, way heavy for the power and not as forgiving with the AV as a modern 65cc saw.

Thats an old 65cc saw from 1972-74 by the looks- I believe by recoil cover and location of the ID tag- this one is an L65 from 72-74 ish and the same basic saw as the S65 from around 8-10 years earlier.
Squareground's saw shown below it is a 77- more easily distinguished with the taller cylinder and spark plug that now protrudes through the top cover (that and the intact decals!
Those old saws are torque based saws, way heavy for the power and not as forgiving with the AV as a modern 65cc saw.

ok, my j red 90 should go at least 150 at auction this week i will add 200- 300 n go modern 65 cc.. there is echo dealer only a few miles from my house

ok, my j red 90 should go at least 150 at auction this week i will add 200- 300 n go modern 65 cc.. there is echo dealer only a few miles from my house

CS-620P​

ECHO X Series
MSRP | $619.99 - $649.99
Power for professionals. A best-in-class saw for heavy clearing and logging. Features a Performance Cutting System™ and loaded with user-friendly innovations to keep the sawdust flying.
TOP FEATURES
  • 59.8 cc professional-grade, 2-stroke engine
  • Professional-grade magnesium sprocket cover and crankcase
  • G-Force Engine Pre-Cleaner™ and heavy-duty air filter provide superior air filtration

usually the red oks get old stop growing the the soil gets wet n it just tips over. have had several breaks the tops off in high winds. maybe much worry about nothing

Back