New splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.

Sand hill mentioned looking at the Easton splitters. I believe it's either them or the allwood have a design the allows knife edge of the wedge to fully cut the splits. I'm not good at explanations but perhaps take a look. Seems like an easy modification that may solve the issue partly.

Sent from a field
Thanks I'll check it out

Looks like it's the allwood that has an indentation on their wedge. They are a wedge on beam design, but that shouldn't matter. The end result should be the same by welding on "protrusions" that allow the wedge to push all the way through the wood.

IMG_0886.JPG

Sent from a field

I kind of always thought your wing wedges where a little short. Since your wedge is on the cyl and not the beam, not sure what the fix might be. With a wedge on beam, if the wood sticks, you just push it out with the next round. Strippers might be your best bet. My wedge on beam is height adjustable. It also just sets on top of the lift arm. If the wood tries to stick between the wedge and beam, the wedge simply rises up and lets the wood fall out.
Strippers will take care of the stuck pieces.On my other splitter(wedge on beam) I sometimes have to resort to a chain around the ram and around the stuck piece of elm and retract the ram to get unstuck.Either that or a sledge.With the wedge on ram and strippers the "stuck piece" problem goes away.

another option would be to thread your wedge slide plate for the bolts and run them up through the bottom so the threads are flush on the top side. less to catch on that way. or like you mentioned, put a plate inside the bolt heads so the wood doesnt wedge in there so bad. recessed bolt heads or bolts up from the bottom and threaded in would be my best ideas

Back