New splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I'm logged out for a few days and the thread blows up.
Thanks to those that have given constructive input over the months.
Mudstopper is correct in that, all the material, ram, vlaves etc used was stuff I had laying around. Which is the reason it's a $700 build. If i was wanting to spend $3000 hell yes i would have chosen different components and material.
Up to this point I rather enjoyed posting on this thread, excuse me while I retreat back to my backwoods hillbilly ways.

First off, C5Rulz is someone who I consider a good friend whom I met on these forums and the reply was to him as we jest back and forth. It's what friends do.
Well, if he is that "good" of a friend why did you not go over and weld his splitter? There can't be more than couple hours of welding. . .

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I've never made a mistake or done anything the wrong way or the cheap way. Well not in the last 10 minutes anyway. For some of us hill billies the best way we learn is to do something and if we screw it up we just keep going until it works, or it kills or maims us. Without us there would be no need for Doctors, we're providing practice for Doctors.
A few weeks ago I saved $5 by buying cheap tie down straps, free health care over here so the stiches cost me nothing.
And I saved $2 by not greasing a bearing before I used my wood chipper. Nope I never made a mistake. I'm sure if the splitter welds crack you'll do the same thing I would and grind it out and weld it a little better.
IMG_20170503_195655.jpg
IMG_20170422_204630.jpg

I'm not sure what the deal is anyway all this substandard for a hillbilly b.s..
Is everything pretty? No it's not, it was built In my garage with minimal tools in 5-10 degree temperatures. Yes I was shaking all over the place laying welds.
But what pics don't show you is that everything structural was 45 degree beveled, then filled then top passed. Pictures don't show heavy heat lines on the backside of the metal. 20170304_131856.jpg here's a close up I know it's strong, pick it apart if you like make an ass of yourself some more. While your at it change your name to woodPRICK and shove it.

Trolls are everywhere on the internet and you just met one that seems to zone in on welding. Don't let it get you down. I'm not aware of any of threads for woodprick's projects. I suspect he knows just enough about welding to be a critic but is frustrated by lack of ability which makes him a troll.

Looks like your splitter will split some wood.

Is everything pretty? No it's not, it was built In my garage with minimal tools in 5-10 degree temperatures. Yes I was shaking all over the place laying welds.
But what pics don't show you is that everything structural was 45 degree beveled, then filled then top passed. Pictures don't show heavy heat lines on the backside of the metal. View attachment 579350 here's a close up I know it's strong, pick it apart if you like make an ass of yourself some more. While your at it change your name to woodPRICK and shove it.
Charlie, theres a reason I dont post pics of my welds. I have been accused of doing Gorilla welds, "look like ****, hold like hell". The hold part is what I am after. I have seen a ton of pretty welds break the first tie they are put under any stress. Prep before welding is just as important as pretty.

But what pics don't show you is that everything structural was 45 degree beveled, then filled then top passed. Pictures don't show heavy heat lines on the backside of the metal. View attachment 579350 here's a close up I know it's strong, pick it apart if you like make an ass of yourself some more. While your at it change your name to woodPRICK and shove it.

Its not pretty, but I don't see any undercutting or lack of penetration along the edges of the bead....

What were you using for a welder, what were your settings and what was the thickness of the material? My initial impression is a wirefeed using gas and perhaps wirespeed turned down a hair below optimum....

Its not pretty, but I don't see any undercutting or lack of penetration along the edges of the bead....

What were you using for a welder, what were your settings and what was the thickness of the material? My initial impression is a wirefeed using gas and perhaps wirespeed turned down a hair below optimum....
Looks to me like a text book stick weld to me. That sort of stir make me think of 7018 rods for some reason.

I just have a Lincoln tombstone AC welder, and minimal welding skills, but someone recently recommended 7018AC rod to me, and it's great stuff. I was finding that with regular 7018 it was hard to strike an arc and that sometimes it'd just cut out. The 7018ac doesn't do that, and it's easy to strike an arc, more like 6011. It's a little more expensive than 6011 or 7018, but I think it's worth it.

Lincoln makes a great 7018ac rod. Welding with those rods will spoil you, slag just peels itself off as the weld cools.

OP will sure weigh in. Id bet it is 7018. Its a good rod for the application and easy to use. Plus cheap.

Agreed... Id run the root with 6013 though and top it with 7018. Those are the 2 rods I keep here for routine use.

Mind you Im just a garage welder thats probably done enough reading to be more harmful than helpful.

Agreed... Id run the root with 6013 though and top it with 7018. Those are the 2 rods I keep here for routine use.

Mind you Im just a garage welder thats probably done enough reading to be more harmful than helpful.
Well, my welds look like pigeon poop or modern art, so I find it best to not be critical of others welding.

Well, my welds look like pigeon poop or modern art, so I find it best to not be critical of others welding.

Here is my initial reintroduction to stick. I originally learned how to weld via stick and then transitioned into MIG due to ease and speed. Burned that up and went back to a less expensive form since I just do it occasionally.

First bead using a new Hobart, 6013 rod. I didn't do any grinding, just scuffed the surface with a wire brush.

20150823_155211_zpsc9kzmedg.jpg

Here is my initial reintroduction to stick. I originally learned how to weld via stick and then transitioned into MIG due to ease and speed. Burned that up and went back to a less expensive form since I just do it occasionally.

First bead using a new Hobart, 6013 rod. I didn't do any grinding, just scuffed the surface with a wire brush.

20150823_155211_zpsc9kzmedg.jpg
Mine would look about the same, except with more porosity, spatter, and grinding. A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't.

Latest posts

Back