New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS does have great customer service. I was amazed Paul called me after I sent an email about which belt to use as a replacement for my Special Edition. What amazed me was he got back to me the same day and it was the afternoon of Christmas Eve. I don't know of any other business owner including myself that would be returning calls about finding a belt on Christmas Eve. My belt is fine just couldn't find the same size belt listed in the belt catalogs. Paul did say the HD now has the bigger heavier flywheels.

SS does have great customer service. I was amazed Paul called me after I sent an email about which belt to use as a replacement for my Special Edition. What amazed me was he got back to me the same day and it was the afternoon of Christmas Eve. I don't know of any other business owner including myself that would be returning calls about finding a belt on Christmas Eve. My belt is fine just couldn't find the same size belt listed in the belt catalogs. Paul did say the HD now has the bigger heavier flywheels.

Couldn't agree more Sam-tip...excellent customer service. After I placed my order, a few days later I emailed Paul with a spare parts list I'd like to have on hand, not that I felt I had to have the parts then by no means, just for the future piece of mind of having them 'in-stock' in my shop. Got a spare 3/4" CYR bearing, two rubber return bumpers, one carriage return spring, and two Hi-Power II A69 pulley belts. Paul thought Connor had put these items in with the splitter shipment and vice versa...Connor thought Paul had. I emailed them and they confirmed the same and received the spare parts with no additional ship charge yesterday. On a side note, I cross-referenced the belts as well at a local NAPA store last week and their prices are the same as Paul's (literally within a dollar and a half). We crossed it to a Gates belt as well as other mfg's and the same outcome price-wise.

Sam-tip, I seem to not be able to find a post of yours in an older thread where you showed WOT (wide open throttle) rpm tach specs per I believe the HD and SE models. I've got the Honda 6.5 GX200 upgrade on my HD, if that was the motor you had spec'd out, could you provide the same rpm info possibly again? In the SS manual it says specifically not to run greater than 3000 rpm's...I have, should say I had, a tach a couple of yrs ago...I think it got loaned and never seemed to find its way back home. I think we've all been a victim of that song and dance before. I'll have to replace my tach and find the exact throttle position for 3K max rpm's but was just curious about WOT rpm's. And if SS owners are running wide open with their machines if using the motor I have then I should I suppose be able to do the same. Your thoughts on this and any tach info would help. Thanks Sam-tip.

Jason

Sam-tip, in relation to the previous post asking for rpm info, guess I had a brainfart and left out some info before I hit the post launch button...I know the motor manual (GX200) shows 3600 rpm, but I was thinking your tach specs were other than. And I could certainly be wrong on that. I'm sure tachs have a +/- tolerance however small, but don't know if the same tolerances are a variable in engine mfg'ing. I'd just rather err on the side of caution before I even attempt any WOT running. I know most SS owners from thread reading only run around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and not necessary to go above (I would think wood type, how green or otherwise seasoned, etc) is certainly a variable there. I guess ideally I'd like to find the 3K motor rpm (310 flywheel rpm) and mark the motor housing right beneath the throttle lever with a white permanent paint pen, and know that is my throttle (motor rpm) stopping point. With air cooled engines I don't want to baby it while running it as far as block/heat dissipation goes. Your thoughts and thoughts of others will be appreciated. Thx.

Jason

SE motor ran at 3870 rpm and flywheel was at 337 rpm.

Hd motor was 3760 rpm and flywheel was 328 rpm.

Timed extend to retract at 2 seconds on both HD and SE

I don't normally run the SE as fast as the HD. Plenty of power for splitting wood. Plus quieter. These speeds were at full throttle.

Took me a while to find the post also. Most of the splitting is at full throttle at charity cuts because at charity cuts there is enough people to keep the splitter busy. For personal splitting the motor is at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle unless the wood is nasty. But then 90% of the hours on my splitters are at charity cuts.

My tach for motor is just a stick on hour meter that wraps a wire around the spark plug. The meter for the fly wheel is a special device with counter and stop watch built into one. I got it at a garage sale from a old machinist.

Took me a while to find the post also. Most of the splitting is at full throttle at charity cuts because at charity cuts there is enough people to keep the splitter busy. For personal splitting the motor is at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle unless the wood is nasty. But then 90% of the hours on my splitters are at charity cuts.

My tach for motor is just a stick on hour meter that wraps a wire around the spark plug. The meter for the fly wheel is a special device with counter and stop watch built into one. I got it at a garage sale from a old machinist.

Thank you Sam-tip for diggin and finding the rpm info, I appreciate it very much. I've got a baseline now to reference, seems it's a little higher than mfg specs. Is your HD running with the 6.5 Gx200 Honda? No problems on your end running WOT? I've looked at the combination hr/tach meters on Amazon/eBay and will probably go that route. Just wanted to kinda get a feel where I stood now...actually haven't split anything except 1/2 to 1/4 already split stuff for friends just to see it in action. I'm tired of makin kindling, Lol. I'd have to wheelbarrow it to the living room open fireplace now just to make heat with this puny stuff. Supposed to drop three sizeable red oaks this wknd for a friend but looks like rain is gonna get us again, tried last wknd but the same fate. We'll see how mother nature plays out though... he spent about $3K last year having his yard sodded with centipede grass so he wants trucks and trailers as minimal as he can on his lawn. It's kinda the drop it, get it cut immediately, get it gone theory.

Yes the HD is the honda engine. Had some trouble getting them started this last weekend at the Kansas City charity cut. Sat so long with fuel off that carb was dry. 3 drops of fuel in carb and start up. Last ran Dec 6 in Wisconsin treemonkey charity cut.

Still having slow rack return in cold weather.

tappa talk samsung note 2

Yes the HD is the honda engine. Had some trouble getting them started this last weekend at the Kansas City charity cut. Sat so long with fuel off that carb was dry. 3 drops of fuel in carb and start up. Last ran Dec 6 in Wisconsin treemonkey charity cut.

Thanks for the info Doug, I really appreciate it being a new SS owner. I want this machine to last two lifetimes...one day when my 47 yr old rear end leaves this planet, I'll leave this thing to my son and daughter to squabble over, Lol.

You touched on a point that I've never heard of...GTG's and Charity Cuts. Never heard of either to be honest with you. Of course born and raised in mid-Ga and have returned after a heap of 'sight seeing' around the planet compliments of the Marine Corps...nothing like that I've ever heard of. I commend you, as well as all others who participate in as much, to give your time, effort, and sore backs, to those in need and those less fortunate. Things like this define the true character of men/women who participate in helping the needs of others...and ask nothing in return. I salute you and all who participate in these events. I'm gonna crank up a thread, this is not the topic matter here on this one, and get a better feel of the whereabouts geographically, and the folks who participate in such. I think I remember reading your wife's posts a few times when I was reading you folks GTG threads...her quote on her posts as best I can..."wealth is not measured in how much money nor material things...it's what you do for others." I translate it this way...no sense in standing by while a man, woman, child spends a cold day much less an even colder night...only to have to wake up and do it all over again. Again, a salute to you, your wife, and all others that support Charity Cut GTG's who take their time out of busy lives to do for others. True character and something that takes the pain out of a sore back when it's all said and done.

We ran your HD wide open all day Saturday. It used less than 1.5 tanks of fuel. For several hours we had 5 people working it and it had no problem keeping up. 2 people bringing rounds from the pile to the splitter, 1 person loading and moving splits back for re-split, 1 person operating the lever and moving splits too, and 1 person tossing the splits.

What is the cause of the slow rack return in cold weather? Is there a fix for it? It was a problem almost all day, after all it did snow on us all day; but not an issue with 3-5 people working the splitter---somebody was slapping it back every time not slowing down production. I could see where it might get frustrating if I was splitting by myself.

The crew was running the SS HD so fast this weekend there was steam coming off the wedge. Good pile of hedge.

6f792179fc096ca59e40c7b9ef2f58c5.jpg

The crew was running the SS HD so fast this weekend there was steam coming of the wedge. Good pile of hedge.

Yes, this is true. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own 2 eyes. Like I said, a crew of 5 was operating at full speed for several hours. Other than lunch and to move from one pile to another, we never stopped continuously splitting.

I would also like to add...whomever cut that hedge should have had to split it. The pieces were cut 20-28" long. I had to cut many pieces just to get them on the splitter. Before we started Levi asked me if I thought the SS would split hedge that big and long----only one way to find out. Other than some crotches and twisty pieces, the SS just rocked on. We had to hit some pieces more than once but that is expected with hedge cut that long. Some of those rounds were too big to lift so we noodled a few first.

What's the fix for the slow rack return? I ran mine the other day after I lifted it. I had to push the rack back by hand each time. I only did about 5 splits. I figured it would loosen up. Does it?

What's the fix for the slow rack return? I ran mine the other day after I lifted it. I had to push the rack back by hand each time. I only did about 5 splits. I figured it would loosen up. Does it?

Only warmer weather that I know of. 40 degrees or higher. There is a thread on the issue but nothing has fixed the return for me.

Best splitter out there by far. Last weekend I split wood in my shop with the race on TV, and the wood stove cranking. Rounds in one trailer, finished wood into another. Too many people underestimate the power and efficiency of the machine.

Guns...new to the forum site and proud owner of a new HD SS. Yet to put my machine to nothing other than piddling stuff for the lack of wood, I'm playing now splittin splits. Your insight and knowledge was highly regarded in my purchase. There was no other splitter I was even considering writing the check for. Just a big ol grin here, only thing missing now is a pile of rounds. Semper Fi my man.

The crew was running the SS HD so fast this weekend there was steam coming off the wedge. Good pile of hedge.

Nice... From what I've read, hedge is some pretty tough stuff in you folks area. Helluva pile of wood and I'm sure that was just the beginning. :)

We ran your HD wide open all day Saturday. It used less than 1.5 tanks of fuel. For several hours we had 5 people working it and it had no problem keeping up. 2 people bringing rounds from the pile to the splitter, 1 person loading and moving splits back for re-split, 1 person operating the lever and moving splits too, and 1 person tossing the splits.

What is the cause of the slow rack return in cold weather? Is there a fix for it? It was a problem almost all day, after all it did snow on us all day; but not an issue with 3-5 people working the splitter---somebody was slapping it back every time not slowing down production. I could see where it might get frustrating if I was splitting by myself.

Impressive...all day on less than two tanks of fuel. I could see the frigid temps having a play in the simple return spring theory. With no carriage bearing/upper return bearing problems, I'd probably stick too in those kinda temps, lol.

The other pile from Saturday.

761f3d190c082d64c06ee4beaadf95d4.jpg

6ee3c71a9da899225bc5a65dfea4871c.jpg

What a pile of splits...Doug, how's the log lift working? I have added the outrigger leg kit to my SS HD and was looking at purchasing the log lift. I think I would add welded cross members perpindicular to the lengthwise arms to keep smaller rounds/re-splits from falling through, and possibly cut and tack 1/2 inch -13 expanded metal. I do like your trick with the plywood and may do the same instead of buying tube to weld in place.

Back