New Super Split HD Owner!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rack return had been acting up and I discovered that I had a sticky "bearing". The one on top of the beam, lift bearing I think. I split on the left side mostly and didn't realize that on the bolt that holds this bearing in place, it is drilled out so you can spray some wd40 or some other kind of lube in to help it be free, mine actually had gotten all gummed up from grease off the rack and debris all summer and wasn't turning real free any more(actually developed a flat spot on the bearing) and had to get a new one. Anyway, I have been heating mine up a little with a propane torch and then giving it a couple squirts of wd40 or pt blaster and it seems to run great all day.

I know it has something to do with ice. It was really cold when ran ours for the first time. It was fine all day. It wasn't until the next day that it started to stick. I wonder if snow or ice got into something and is jamming it up?

Yes, but I don't advertise it... :)

I hear ya...I thought I remembered reading a thread where you had offered one up for a charity auction/raffle of sorts. I showed my son the site and he was highly impressed. As well as I. He's got a growing collection he's had for several yrs. I don't know to call what we saw on your site knifework or artwork. That is true craftsmanship and talent to say the least.

I hear ya...I thought I remembered reading a thread where you had offered one up for a charity auction/raffle of sorts. I showed my son the site and he was highly impressed. As well as I. He's got a growing collection he's had for several yrs. I don't know to call what we saw on your site knifework or artwork. That is true craftsmanship and talent to say the least.
Thanks, it keeps me busy & out of trouble.

Is that the log lift from split second?How well does it work? How did the install go? Is there a tread on the install? Thanks .

Is that the log lift from split second?How well does it work? How did the install go? Is there a tread on the install? Thanks .
Yes it is the log lift from split second. used mostly when only single operator. Otherwise it is a nice work table. Easy install. Had to drill 4 3/8 holes in beam to mount. I can repost pictures or you can find them in the split second thread.

tappa talk samsung note 2

Yes it is the log lift from split second. used mostly when only single operator. Otherwise it is a nice work table. Easy install. Had to drill 4 3/8 holes in beam to mount. I can repost pictures or you can find them in the split second thread.

tappa talk samsung note 2

Doug, this might be a silly question or one asked in the other thread where you posted pics, just don't remember. Can you un-pin or unbolt the log lift from its mount that's bolted to the beam and simply re-pin and swap to the other side?

Didn't get to run it today, and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. I did run it in the shop but being on concrete, the vibrations were even worse.

I got to piddling around and running mine in the shop yesterday evening and thought mine was vibrating a little much, no more than I was giving it throttle. Why I didn't do this from the get-go I have no idea, but checked the tire pressure... the turf tires are rated for 22psi max fill, mine had almost 29psi. I dropped them to 20 each and made quite a difference in the vibration dept. I did lose the jacked up, funny car rear end look though...Lol.

I also added the Split Second Outrigger Kit to the front end and it stabilizes really well now.

It does unpin for simple removal. But to mount the lift to the other side it would require you unbolt the mount from the beam and turn it. 7 bolt to turn the lift mount.
8e9ad2efb3316d270070c16755d5f67c.jpg

d196daceaabc709cf8c2b2b334c0947c.jpg

29f729c37f9862256dd4b80d310ea86d.jpg

e197f3d0f6adc3e564f95b9da38559c5.jpg

88578ec54c75e60586381048dcb74344.jpg

Thanks for reposting pics!!Was lift worth the price? Are front stabilizers included?

The small cam follower bearing used on the rack return needs to be sealed for a happy kinetic and a happy user. The 3/4” diameter bearing used on most kinetics, corrodes with use and freezes. See below the inside of your unsealed ¾” cam follower bearing after use. When it freezes it slides down the beam instead of rolling which creates wear. The WD40 only helps free the rust so it will rotate again for awhile, hence the small hole in the bolt or spraying the sides of it since it is an unsealed bearing. If you split in cold weather this type of bearing will wear out extremely fast. On the Split Second Log Splitter the cam follower bearing is 1” diameter sealed with low temp grease that will not get sluggish until around -30°F. The housing that holds the bearing is designed to let the beam crud go thru and not get held up around the bearing. The Split Second also has a rack return spring bracket that allows the springs to be tightened depending on use. Please keep the top of your beam and rack clean.

Split Second Log Splitter: Please post this bearing and bracket part number for ordering. Thanks.

You better talk to Paul or Conner. When I ordered mine the other day or so, Paul said they changed the size of the bearing now on the super split. I got an updated bearing and a new bracket from him.

You better talk to Paul or Conner. When I ordered mine the other day or so, Paul said they changed the size of the bearing now on the super split. I got an updated bearing and a new bracket from him.

Guswhit..., can you spec the OD, type of bearing, sealed or otherwise? Reason I ask, I ordered my SS HD Feb 12, picked it up from the local freight terminal Feb 20...mine came with the 3/4 CYR bearing. I also ordered a few spare parts to include an additional return carriage bearing (3/4 CYR), belts, return spring, return rubber bumpers. They must've changed this bearing size since mine shipped out I suppose. I'd be curious as to what the bearing size/type is now and the included bracket if the bracket is part of this setup.

I did also Guswhit. It works a little better but it is not a sealed bearing. Ready to try a sealed bearing. It is actually called a cam follower. The original was 5/8", new is 3/4".

At my own expense to show how much of an idiot I was I'll tell my saga.
I initially was using spray grease on the rack and got it on the cam follower and it gumed it all up, stuck and developed a flat spot. Paul fixed me up with a new 3/4" one and since I have been using the wd40 or PB blaster and heating up in the winter no issues
$30.00 some dollar screw up!

Latest posts

Back