New to wood burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldershrek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought my first home. As it turns out it has an outdoor wood boiler that provides the house heat, garage heat and domestic hot water (although there is a 40 gallon water heater for the summer months). After some more communication with the sellers the stove is a Taylor stove. Anybody know anything about them? I emailed the company and they sent me an owners manual but it is mostly installation instructions and not the operation/maintenance information I was hoping for. I believe it circulates water constantly which I would think is terribly inefficient but I dunno. They say they burn 12 full cords of wood from Thanksgiving to Easter (roughly) and they keep the heat at 75.

I now also have to start gathering firewood. Face cords go for $50-$60 in my area and full cords around $200. I can also get an 18 wheeler of logs delivered for $1100 which the guy says is about 10 cords but then I have to cut and stack it myself. I think long run I'd be better off buying a splitter and saw and just buying logs but the initial investment will be a lot larger. I have also found a few craigslist ads local to me for logs that are about $1000 but I have to pick them up.

I am planning to get 10 full cords of wood. I don't keep my heat at 75 so I think that should do it for me. What do you guys think?

Hi and welcome to AS! A lot of useful information to be had here. The OWB team will be along shortly to provide their input on your setup, etc..

My caution for the semi log loads would be the wood is likely green and would need to be cut, split and stacked to be seasoned and ready for next year -- and this is dependent on the species of wood and your climate. You are wise to start now, do not wait until August or September.

Curious though -- the previous owner did not leave you ANY surplus of burnable supply?

I think you just found a new hobby, addiction and outlook on life. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to AS! And to the world of heating with wood! Lots of members here from your area and have OWB's to give you good info on that.

As far as buying already processed firewood or processing it yourself. Kinda depends on where your heart is. IF you enjoy the whole idea of making firewood, and that doing so is saving you money in the long run, then go for it! But if it is looked at as a chore that has to be done just to heat the house, then maybe you should buy it already done.

Let me warn ya though, if you should decide to go the route of buying your own equipment(chainsaws(yes plural) splitter and/or axes) it gets spendy! Soon one saw wont be enough. Then 2 saws wont be enough. It never ends!:jester:

Just be sure the logs you buy(if you so choose) are dry enough to heat with this winter!

Have fun!
Ted

Last edited:
My caution for the semi log loads would be the wood is likely green and would need to be cut, split and stacked to be seasoned and ready for next year -- and this is dependent on the species of wood and your climate. You are wise to start now, do not wait until August or September.

Curious though -- the previous owner did not leave you ANY surplus of burnable supply?

I didn't think about that with the semi load of logs being green. The craiglist logs have been down for at least a year. According to the ad the people bought the logs last year in preparation for this coming year but then their boiler crapped out and they have decided to get away from wood all together.

No the sellers aren't leaving me any wood. :(

I think you just found a new hobby, addiction and outlook on life. Good luck and have fun.

I actually lol'd at your username :laugh:

I didn't think about that with the semi load of logs being green. The craiglist logs have been down for at least a year. According to the ad the people bought the logs last year in preparation for this coming year but then their boiler crapped out and they have decided to get away from wood all together.

No the sellers aren't leaving me any wood. :(

I actually lol'd at your username :laugh:

Wood doesn't really start drying until bucked, split and stacked. (Has to do with making it easy for water to leave-reducing dimensions, and exposure to airflow.) Oak will take about twice as long as other hardwoods; somehow it just retains water. Some will say, and I believe them fully, that you want to get your wood supply in hand so you're years ahead; when you go to burn it, it'lll be primo.

One thing you want to find out pronto is the max practical length of splits you can feed the boiler. Notice I said "splits"; some seem to like to feed large diam. pieces whole. Hard to get them to dry, and hard to get them to burn cleanly. Triggers lots of local ordinances, besides being inefficient.

Not knowing your system, but indoor storage of heated water would seem to be a VERY GOOD IDEA for reducing wood consumption. If the controls can be adapted.

If it helps, you might look into chainsaw operator course; USFS runs some. Then you'll want a decent 60-70 cc saw, a cant hook, and a means of splitting. There are really good mauls available from Germany, Austria, Sweden, but they cost; one will prove very helpful for reducing rounds in the field to haulable size. When you go cutting in the woods, you'll likely want a 40-45 cc saw for limbing and backup. Check the archives for saw suggestions: "two-saw plan".

Good idea to not go it alone. Others will no doubt comment on PPE. Enjoy your new addiction.

One thing you want to find out pronto is the max practical length of splits you can feed the boiler. Notice I said "splits"; some seem to like to feed large diam. pieces whole. Hard to get them to dry, and hard to get them to burn cleanly. Triggers lots of local ordinances, besides being inefficient.

That's gonna be my next priority, finding out what size I need the wood cut to.

If it helps, you might look into chainsaw operator course; USFS runs some. Then you'll want a decent 60-70 cc saw, a cant hook, and a means of splitting. There are really good mauls available from Germany, Austria, Sweden, but they cost; one will prove very helpful for reducing rounds in the field to haulable size. When you go cutting in the woods, you'll likely want a 40-45 cc saw for limbing and backup. Check the archives for saw suggestions: "two-saw plan".

Good idea to not go it alone. Others will no doubt comment on PPE. Enjoy your new addiction.

I won't be venturing off into the wilderness and cutting down trees any time soon. At most I'd be buying logs and then just cutting them down to 16-18 inches and splitting it on my own. Buddy at work is gonna sell me his Stihl MS310. He's upgrading to a bigger saw. Said prolly 250-300 bucks. I'm just starting to look at splitters but figured I'd save questions about them until I do a little research on my own. There is a dealer in town that sells American Splitters that I guess are good but I dunno. I've also seen alot of home made jobs on CL but I'm wary of them the way people cob stuff together.

Getting 10 cords....you have many years of needing wood if that OWB is to heat that home. I'd put up all I can and not stop.
The benefit...you won't run out and it will get a chance to cure/dry.

Oh...1 more thing...welcome to Arboristsite.com

unless its a gassification unit, you don't need seasoned wood. owner admitting that it takes 12 full cords leads me to believe its NOT a gassification unit. therefore, you don't need to "worry" about your wood seasoning in time.

I've had my Central Boiler 6048 for 9 seasons. I routinely cut wood as I need it. I burn anything from bone dry to dripping wet. My wood is piled/stacked out in the open and uncovered. For burning/heating in/with a standard outdoor wood furnace it makes no difference whatsoever; it will burn and it will heat just fine. Caveat: Wet wood burns less efficiently, smokes more, and is worse for the environment.

Getting a truckload of logs to start sounds like a great idea. I'd process that load, then keep acquiring more wood to get ahead. You can usually pick up timber from tree service companies and the county storage yard.

It takes less time than what you may think, its good exercise and enjoyable.

Welcome and have fun!

unless its a gassification unit, you don't need seasoned wood. owner admitting that it takes 12 full cords leads me to believe its NOT a gassification unit. therefore, you don't need to "worry" about your wood seasoning in time.

I've had my Central Boiler 6048 for 9 seasons. I routinely cut wood as I need it. I burn anything from bone dry to dripping wet. My wood is piled/stacked out in the open and uncovered. For burning/heating in/with a standard outdoor wood furnace it makes no difference whatsoever; it will burn and it will heat just fine. Caveat: Wet wood burns less efficiently, smokes more, and is worse for the environment.

Getting a truckload of logs to start sounds like a great idea. I'd process that load, then keep acquiring more wood to get ahead. You can usually pick up timber from tree service companies and the county storage yard.

Welcome and have fun!

That is in my opinion bad advice! The more dry the wood is the less energy (btu, burning of the other wood) it needs to dry out in the owb before it ignites! It's just simple physics. Wet has to be dryed before it will burn. The energy to dry has to come from somewhere (cheapest is the sun) and is "lost" to your general heating.

For a saw generally a 50-60cc saw would be optimum in your setting. Semi or pro saw is up to your licking and budget. If it is a quality unit anything will last quite a few years. For the low budget there are the McCulloch/Partner saws out there.

Quality companies (/=same company different color):
Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Emak/Efco/Oleo Mac, Hitachi/Tanaka, Husqvarna/Jonsered/(McCulloch/Partner are the low budget brands), Solo/Cub Cadet, Stihl
Do yourself a favor and don't get a no name(chinese) brand, they will not hold up for you needs.

Don't forget the safety products! (Chaps, eye & ear protection, steel toe boots, etc.) Much cheaper then a cut off leg!

Good luck!

That's my next chore (finding out what length the stove can handle). From the pile I saw when I originally went to look at the house looks like standard 16-18 inches.

I don't plan on venturing into the woods and dropping trees for wood any time soon. At most it will just be loads of logs and I'll just be cutting them and splitting them. A buddy at work wants to sell me his MS-310 so he can get a bigger saw. I figure that should be enough saw for what I wanna do right? I have just began researching splitters so I haven't much of an idea about what I need with one of them. Only local places to me is TSC (yeah I know) and a power sports dealer that deals in American Splitters. I've also checked craigslist but a lot of them are home made which I'm suspicious of.

Getting 10 cords....you have many years of needing wood if that OWB is to heat that home. I'd put up all I can and not stop.
The benefit...you won't run out and it will get a chance to cure/dry.

Oh...1 more thing...welcome to Arboristsite.com

Thank you! My initial plan is for 10 cords this year. I will have enough other stuff to do this first year of home ownership I think. but in coming years I will hopefully be able to get my supply up.

That's my plan. I's rather do something outside than waste time at the gym so I don't mind the exercise.

For a saw generally a 50-60cc saw would be optimum in your setting. Semi or pro saw is up to your licking and budget. If it is a quality unit anything will last quite a few years. For the low budget there are the McCulloch/Partner saws out there.

Quality companies (/=same company different color):
Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Emak/Efco/Oleo Mac, Hitachi/Tanaka, Husqvarna/Jonsered/(McCulloch/Partner are the low budget brands), Solo/Cub Cadet, Stihl
Do yourself a favor and don't get a no name(chinese) brand, they will not hold up for you needs.

Don't forget the safety products! (Chaps, eye & ear protection, steel toe boots, etc.) Much cheaper then a cut off leg!

Good luck!

Think an MS-310 will do the job? I'm not messing with any #### chainsaws......my father has had quite a few over the years just for trimming trees and brush around the farm (they burn pellets) and you can't every use the damn things when you need because they don't wanna start.

That is in my opinion bad advice! The more dry the wood is the less energy (btu, burning of the other wood) it needs to dry out in the owb before it ignites! It's just simple physics. Wet has to be dryed before it will burn. The energy to dry has to come from somewhere (cheapest is the sun) and is "lost" to your general heating.

it is a fact that you don't need seasoned wood to burn in a standard outdoor wood boiler, therefore you don't need to "worry" about having the time for it to season. Bad advice would be telling him he needs seasoned wood and that he needs to "worry" about seasoning his wood before he burns it. The caveat remains.

Well, you have a nice hobby and we are here to help you spend your money and time! HAHAHAHAHA!

Scrounging wood, you can haul lots more in a trailer than you can tote in the back of your truck, but you still need a truck. Car hauler trailers are nice as they hold the weight, and are low to the ground, plus have a ramp to roll big rounds up. easy to load and unload and two axles just makes everything so much better. So after your first load of logs delivered to get you through this next winter, get to scrounging. Get as much on your property as you can, get two to three years in advance, then stay there.

Saw "plans", most guys use a two saw plan a 50 something and a 70 something cc saw (I'd add a third, 30 something, a real small light weight trimmer for doing whole trees) My current 3 saw plan is a 38 cc, a 56cc, and a 74cc. This will cut 90% of the wood I encounter easily. All used, let me think a bit..total..hmmm 130 bucks. Real old but runners (sweat equity to use that term) and I got the stacks to prove it.

If you can find another AS memeber near you, by all means, see if you can go visit and check out saws and get some hands on practical advice and safety tips, etc, or they come over and visit you. Saws are no joke dangerous, but very effective efficient tools.

There are also numerous what are called GTG or get togethers that members here host, check the chainsaw forum for those events. You can learn a lot and get to check out a variety of saws, mild to wild.

The classifieds on this site are a great place to find used saws from guys who know and use saws and rebuild them and fix them, etc.

Can't help you with your outside boiler, never used one, and only gas splitter I ever used is home made. Some guys here have had excellent results with those smaller electric ones, just depends on what sort of wood you will be getting if they would be practical for you or not. I split all of mine now by hand. Ten cords + a year is starting to get into the whole lotta work range though, so I imagine you will be getting a power splitter.

Yes, it is an investment up front, BUT, you can scrounge your own energy and "bank" it for the future, one less "bill" to worry about. So it really IS an investment, you WILL get a return on cash spent and labor spent, and you won't be tied to "the man" so much for something that is necessary.

Plus, it's whopping big fun man! Sport! Most of us here really enjoy everything to do with trees and wood, it is as much sport and hobby as it is just getting some heat.Cutting, splitting, scrounging, then come over here and yak about it and post pics!

Also, for an outside burner, you can get the lesser species that a lot of people don't want, pine, willow, poplar who cares, it'll all burn! That and the better stuff, it all adds up.

Start "shopping" craigslist free adds for the pine and fir trees that most people on the east cost think are junk and "dangerous" to burn.

Welcome to the site.

If you don't have a twisted sense of humor, develop one fast or some feelings may get stepped on!

Welcome to AS :)
While it is true that you can burn green wood in an outdoor boiler, think about this: If you burn green wood you will burn more than you would if you were to burn seasoned wood. Green wood takes a lot of BTU's to get up to temp. and keep the fire going. Dry wood will burn easier and not smolder. One of the reasons that outside boilers have a bad rap is people burning green , unseasoned wood in them, burning them in the summer (they just smolder) and burning their trash in them. Don't be "that guy"
On and up note, you won't need as much seasoned wood per winter.
On a side note, there may be a reason that they kept the house at 75*, maybe there is something amiss and they couldn't keep it any cooler.
good luck!

Wecome to AS
My suggestions after 6 years of practice.
If starting out buy logs and either buck them or buck and split them - choice is yours, I myself burn whole rounds of various sizes.
If you like the work, then you can look at adventures in the woods. Possibly at the expense of a chainsaw collection and a few tools.

If previous owners stated 12 cord,then plan for 15. as other posters have stated dont stop collecting, cutting, stacking etc. You will need all the wood you can get.
Running out mid-winter can be painfull $$
Try to get a year or two ahead, I shoot for one 1/2 as i plan for 20 cord each year.
Burning dry wood is always better. You should find the boiler to be low maintence overall; clean the ashes regularly, loading can be done in minutes either twice a day or once in more temperate weather or climates.

Once you got the wood, it is a very easy and trouble free way to heat you home.
Best of luck, This site will assist you greatly, with all aspects of your new interests and hobbies.

Scrounging wood, you can haul lots more in a trailer than you can tote in the back of your truck, but you still need a truck. Car hauler trailers are nice as they hold the weight, and are low to the ground, plus have a ramp to roll big rounds up. easy to load and unload and two axles just makes everything so much better. So after your first load of logs delivered to get you through this next winter, get to scrounging. Get as much on your property as you can, get two to three years in advance, then stay there.

Saw "plans", most guys use a two saw plan a 50 something and a 70 something cc saw (I'd add a third, 30 something, a real small light weight trimmer for doing whole trees) My current 3 saw plan is a 38 cc, a 56cc, and a 74cc. This will cut 90% of the wood I encounter easily. All used, let me think a bit..total..hmmm 130 bucks. Real old but runners (sweat equity to use that term) and I got the stacks to prove it.

Yes, it is an investment up front, BUT, you can scrounge your own energy and "bank" it for the future, one less "bill" to worry about. So it really IS an investment, you WILL get a return on cash spent and labor spent, and you won't be tied to "the man" so much for something that is necessary.

Plus, it's whopping big fun man! Sport! Most of us here really enjoy everything to do with trees and wood, it is as much sport and hobby as it is just getting some heat.Cutting, splitting, scrounging, then come over here and yak about it and post pics!

Also, for an outside burner, you can get the lesser species that a lot of people don't want, pine, willow, poplar who cares, it'll all burn! That and the better stuff, it all adds up.

I am in the process of looking at trailers. I think I have decided on a Griffin 7x12 dump. My truck is more than set too. 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I also have access to a tractor with a front end loader to load logs.

As for a saw I'm probably going to buy a ms310 from a guy at work who's upgrading to a bigger saw. That should work for me shouldn't it?

I don't mind investing some money in a saw and splitter if it's gonna last me many years. I don't mind the exercise either. I'm young (27) and would rather spend a day splitting wood than a few hours in the gym. I just feel like I accomplished something.

I've been scouring craiglist for logs lately and have found several promising ads, one is really close to me. I'll post more about my CL finds down below.

Welcome to AS :)
While it is true that you can burn green wood in an outdoor boiler, think about this: If you burn green wood you will burn more than you would if you were to burn seasoned wood. Green wood takes a lot of BTU's to get up to temp. and keep the fire going. Dry wood will burn easier and not smolder. One of the reasons that outside boilers have a bad rap is people burning green , unseasoned wood in them, burning them in the summer (they just smolder) and burning their trash in them. Don't be "that guy"
On and up note, you won't need as much seasoned wood per winter.
On a side note, there may be a reason that they kept the house at 75*, maybe there is something amiss and they couldn't keep it any cooler.
good luck!

While I don't have any neighbors, I will definitely not be that guy burning everything under the sun in the boiler. Wood only for this old boy. I also won't be burning mine in the summer as I have an electric water heater on a seperate breaker so I don't have to burn just for hot water.

Wecome to AS
My suggestions after 6 years of practice.
If starting out buy logs and either buck them or buck and split them - choice is yours, I myself burn whole rounds of various sizes.
If you like the work, then you can look at adventures in the woods. Possibly at the expense of a chainsaw collection and a few tools.

If previous owners stated 12 cord,then plan for 15. as other posters have stated dont stop collecting, cutting, stacking etc. You will need all the wood you can get.
Running out mid-winter can be painfull $$
Try to get a year or two ahead, I shoot for one 1/2 as i plan for 20 cord each year.
Burning dry wood is always better. You should find the boiler to be low maintence overall; clean the ashes regularly, loading can be done in minutes either twice a day or once in more temperate weather or climates.

Yeah I'm not sure yet if I can just cut the logs or if they will need to be split. Need to get measurements on the fire box. I don't have access to a woodlot so I'll just be buying logs for the forseeable future.

The boiler is actually in an enclosed shed that is 12x24 (I think) so I can keep a good amount of wood in there but if I have several years worth it's gonna have to stay outside somewhere.

I can't remember if I told you guys or not but the stove is a Taylor boiler. Any experience with them? Guy at work seemed to think they were bottom of the line but he wasn't sure. TAYLOR WATERSTOVE - Waterstove Dealers

I mentioned above I found some wood sources (logs) via CL. Here are some of the links:

This one has been marked down to $350
firewood

This one is the closest to me. It has also been marked down to $900. It is about 10 full cords now. Only bad side is I'd have to find a way to transport whole logs
Fire wood for sale

Although not CL I also have a local logger that can deliver tractor trailer load of ash/oak logs for $1100 delivered. He thought 10-11 full cords per load.

The other option is buying split wood from a buddy for $60 per face cord but I have to pick it up. Only benefit to this is I wouldn't have to buy a splitter this year.

We'll you are set then

I am in the process of looking at trailers. I think I have decided on a Griffin 7x12 dump. My truck is more than set too. 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I also have access to a tractor with a front end loader to load logs.

As for a saw I'm probably going to buy a ms310 from a guy at work who's upgrading to a bigger saw. That should work for me shouldn't it?

I don't mind investing some money in a saw and splitter if it's gonna last me many years. I don't mind the exercise either. I'm young (27) and would rather spend a day splitting wood than a few hours in the gym. I just feel like I accomplished something.

I've been scouring craiglist for logs lately and have found several promising ads, one is really close to me. I'll post more about my CL finds down below.

While I don't have any neighbors, I will definitely not be that guy burning everything under the sun in the boiler. Wood only for this old boy. I also won't be burning mine in the summer as I have an electric water heater on a seperate breaker so I don't have to burn just for hot water.

Yeah I'm not sure yet if I can just cut the logs or if they will need to be split. Need to get measurements on the fire box. I don't have access to a woodlot so I'll just be buying logs for the forseeable future.

The boiler is actually in an enclosed shed that is 12x24 (I think) so I can keep a good amount of wood in there but if I have several years worth it's gonna have to stay outside somewhere.

I can't remember if I told you guys or not but the stove is a Taylor boiler. Any experience with them? Guy at work seemed to think they were bottom of the line but he wasn't sure. TAYLOR WATERSTOVE - Waterstove Dealers

I mentioned above I found some wood sources (logs) via CL. Here are some of the links:

This one has been marked down to $350
firewood

This one is the closest to me. It has also been marked down to $900. It is about 10 full cords now. Only bad side is I'd have to find a way to transport whole logs
Fire wood for sale

Although not CL I also have a local logger that can deliver tractor trailer load of ash/oak logs for $1100 delivered. He thought 10-11 full cords per load.

The other option is buying split wood from a buddy for $60 per face cord but I have to pick it up. Only benefit to this is I wouldn't have to buy a splitter this year.

Well, you are set it sounds like. Real nice truck, gonna get a primo trailer, had to look up that stihl but at 60 ccs that is a good one saw plan range, and several options for your first year wood.

I think..hmmm...your tractor trailer load of oak and ash sound good. Get it bucked, then just rent a splitter over the weekend and get some buds over to help knock it out. If you can get ahead a year by buying, that will give you all through the season to also start scrounging, and never have to buy again, or at least not for big bucks.

Oh, on the saw, by all means learn proper maintenance (CLEAN is your friend), get the protective gear, several good quality pro chains, learn to sharpen, learn when to STOP cutting and switch to a sharp chain or touch up what ya got, grab a coupla wedges while you buck logs (you'll get pinched...) check out "muffler modding" and proper tuning on the main chainsaw forum. I'd also grab any old saw that cuts off of CL for a backup saw.

As long as I am spending your money, get you a fiskars splitting axe. I know you'll be getting a splitter eventually, but.....you were talking about exercise and useful work and..fiskars is BIG TIME FUN!

hehehehehe, you're hooked now man, no turning back!

And the rule here is...pics or it didn't happen!

Think an MS-310 will do the job? I'm not messing with any #### chainsaws......my father has had quite a few over the years just for trimming trees and brush around the farm (they burn pellets) and you can't every use the damn things when you need because they don't wanna start.

I know of a MS 310 that cut more than 20 + cords a year for the last 5 years and it's seating in my barn right now ;)

Oh and welcome to AS :)

Last edited:
Oh, on the saw, by all means learn proper maintenance (CLEAN is your friend), get the protective gear, several good quality pro chains, learn to sharpen, learn when to STOP cutting and switch to a sharp chain or touch up what ya got, grab a coupla wedges while you buck logs (you'll get pinched...) check out "muffler modding" and proper tuning on the main chainsaw forum. I'd also grab any old saw that cuts off of CL for a backup saw.

As long as I am spending your money, get you a fiskars splitting axe. I know you'll be getting a splitter eventually, but.....you were talking about exercise and useful work and..fiskars is BIG TIME FUN!

Chainsaw maintenance and chain sharpening is one thing I know nothing about so that will a learning experience for me. Hopefully this axe you mentioned works......usually shovels and stuff never fit my hand! :laugh:

Around me the daily rate to rent a splitter is $150/8 hours. For a good splitter I'm figuring $2500-$3000 bucks. At that rate it would take me 20 days of use to pay for the splitter. Obviously that doesn't include maintenance and repairs though.

Back