New Toy!!!! I mean Tool!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been kicking around what kind of welder to get for a while now. A 220V MIG would fit my needs the best, but there's no way I can afford something like that, even used. I've used some 110V MIGs and don't like them. A 230V stick welder would do most of the work well, but I have a few light weight projects that I want to do, and a stick is a little to large for that. I was talking it over with a co-worker, and came to the conclusion that I will probably end up getting 2 welders. A used 230V stick for most of the work, and a 110V mig for the light stuff. So then we go to lunch, and in the middle of a taco at the local Toxic Smell he says, "You know my welder has been sitting in a closet since I sold my house 6 years ago. I should sell it to you. How's $20 sound?" Since its a 230V Century 285 Amp AC stick welder, I said, "Sounds great." He brought it in to work with him today, and now it's in my garage :) He gave me the receptacle that he had wired up for it as well. So now I just need to wire in a second disconnect in my shop and swap the breaker out for a 50 Amp, buy a few accessories (helmet, gloves, and a few clamps), and get some scrap steel and I'll be ready for some practice :) Even better, when I spoke to my dad the other day, he said he had about 15 pounds of 6011 and 6013 rod that he has no use for. :clap:

i use a stick welder for most everything..if its sheet metal needing welded i just run it down to the fab shop 2 miles from house... they treat me right...i usually buy all our steel from them...

That's my setup for backyard welding, a Lincoln AC arc, ( tombstone) and a 110V fluxcore .03" wirefeed.
There is plenty of tutorials online, but it is best to find a friend to give a couple of lessons.

Might I recommend the auto-darkening helmet from Northen Tool for $50, I have one now and I like it.
This is a good skill to have.

Sounds like a great deal... for practicing I'd start with the 6013 as it is much easier to weld with than 6011.

Well, the next thing you'll be wanting in acetylene cutting torch... trust me on that.

I don't know how anyone survives without a welder of some sort. I tend to over-use things, and then they break... and then they get zapped with the welder. I also build a lot of tools as I need them... Like a Log-Jack (or Timber-Jack)... saw one at the local Fleet store for $65.oo... Well, I just happen to have an old handle from a floor jack and some angle iron, pipe, re-rod, and scrap steel... So how much does two or three welding rods cost? It certainly ain't $65.oo.

Both 6011 and 6013 are great all purpose rods... but for that quick "I need it fixed now" repair, and you don't really care how it looks, and you don't have time for prep work, the 7014 is a great "slam it together", burn through the rust, grease and paint rod.

I've been welding off an on for about 23 years. Started off with stick welding in 8th grade, took an AG Welding class in HS, worked in some machine shops during college, and still do a fair amount of work with our maintenance and tooling guys at every place I've ever worked. Haven't done very much stick welding since H.S. Maybe a project here and there, but nothing consistent enought to maintain any level of skill.

I've been borrowing a friends equipement for the last 4 years. Actually, that's inaccurate. I drive over to his place and use his little shop once or twice a year when I need to. Only problem is that I'll be there all day and it really ticks my wife off (he owns a fireing range :) , and we've been friends for 18 years now). Mean while she's at home with the kids, fixing dinner, waiting for me to get there so that we can eat as a family. By the time I load everything up, haul it out there, spend an hour shooting the breeze with my friend, cut, weld, and grind for 4 to 8 hours, then have to try to deal with an understandably frustrated wife, it makes it to where most projects just are not worth it to me.

This will let me play around a little more, and it will also let me take smaller bites out of projects so that I keep mama happy :) :) :) It will be a lot easier to spend an hour or two (more on the weekend)once or twice a week working on a project out back in the shop. I think that works better for making consistant progress anyway.

Well, the next thing you'll be wanting in acetylene cutting torch... trust me on that.

I don't know how anyone survives without a welder of some sort. I tend to over-use things, and then they break... and then they get zapped with the welder. I also build a lot of tools as I need them... Like a Log-Jack (or Timber-Jack)... saw one at the local Fleet store for $65.oo... Well, I just happen to have an old handle from a floor jack and some angle iron, pipe, re-rod, and scrap steel... So how much does two or three welding rods cost? It certainly ain't $65.oo.

Both 6011 and 6013 are great all purpose rods... but for that quick "I need it fixed now" repair, and you don't really care how it looks, and you don't have time for prep work, the 7014 is a great "slam it together", burn through the rust, grease and paint rod.

Oh, trust me, I've wanted a torch for years. If it wasn't for the cost of feeding the darn thing, I'd already own one. I can braze just fine with a torch, and if I had that, I may not have ever bothered to buy a stick welder, and I shure as heck wouldn't need a 110V wire welder. Feeding those things is just too expensive for me though. I've looked at one of those little units with the small bottles and the plastic housing that holds them. The one you can carry around with one hand. It would still cost the same amount per hour to feed those smaller tanks, but it would take several smaller bites out of my budget rather than one big one. One more item for the wish list.

Honestly, I've always used 6013 and especially 6011 for burning through the crap. I've laid some 70 series rod over some crappy steel before, and it didn't do worth a crap. On clean steel it was great. Very pretty, and strong as all get out. But on rusty junk, it had pits in the weld. 6010 and 6011 are known for their ability to burn through all the crud and the ability to weld over pretty much everything (when done correctly) is why farmers like the 6013 so much. Either way, it's hard to beat free rod, even though it's not that expensive to begin with.

Last edited:
I would really like to get into welding. I was looking at the Hobart Mig welders, but it looks like some of you believe its better to start with a stick welder?

Also, looking at the different models what would you guys recommend for a greater starter welder. I was looking at a Hobart 187, would this one be a good one to start off with?

I would really like to get into welding. I was looking at the Hobart Mig welders, but it looks like some of you believe its better to start with a stick welder?

Also, looking at the different models what would you guys recommend for a greater starter welder. I was looking at a Hobart 187, would this one be a good one to start off with?

IMHO the 187 would be a very nice unit to start off with, and end with for that matter. If memory serves, it's a 230V system, and you can do some pretty heavy work with that. That's what I was looking at for a "one welder does it all" solution. I just can't afford a new one, and used ones are hard to come by.

Also my opinion, the reason folks recommend that you start off with a stick is because A.) the welders are a lot cheaper and easier to find, B.) the machines are simple and so there's less that goes wrong with them, and C.) It's a little more difficult (but not impossible) to do than a wire welder, or MIG.

Congratulations! We couldn't live without our welder. We have a Lincoln Ranger 8 portable set up on a trailer with a little 145 amp Lincoln wire feed for the thin stuff.

Look for the Harbor Freight coupon for the 39.99 auto darkening helmet, they work great. You just can't throw them around as the plastic used for the hood is thin, but it beats 289.00 for a Miller helmet like my son bought. The little HF helmet has lasted me a couple of years.

Torch sets can be picked up at pawn shops on the cheap, I've got mine set up on propane, which is a pain, but it is cheap and you can get a bottle anytime.

Any welder will tell you the only way to get good is by burning the rod. Be safe.

If you decide to go 110 mig i recommend the hobart handler 140.

I got a 225 amp lincoln for the big stuff.

my buddy has all the cutters. got a torch and a plasma.

Plasma (drool, drool) one of these days. I have been holding off on this purchase as it seems supplies/parts dry up as soon as new models come out. Even Miller and Lincoln. Likely due to the imports they sell under their brand names.

WOW! Before you give up on lightweight projects, try some 1/16'' or 3/64'' rod.

I plan on it. I've not seen any 3/64 rod, but I haven't looked that hard either. I can get 1/16 from plenty of places. I figured I'd drop $20 at TSC on some of their over priced steel and get a variaty of stuff from 1/8" down and see how small I can go before burn through becomes a problem. Unfortunatly the welder only goes down to 60 Amps so I guess I'll find out what I can do with it :) My light work is mostly making cones for steel drums, and welding some pipe and stuff to them. Drums are not the thinnest thing in the world, so we'll see. Even if I can't do it with a stick, a person can usually find a decent used 110V wire welder for under $100. Heck, I've seen some new ones with decent reviews for under $100.

Congrats!

I've had a welder most of my life, an old Hobart 250 amp stick, bought new when I was 17. A few years ago I bought a Miller Matic 210, now that is a NICE machine! It's really been good having a fully equipped metal fab / blacksmith shop :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back