New toy...MS290..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Drove to BFE where we are buying our new home, (with five fireplaces,) hoping to buy my new saw from the southern states there...nope..closed..i had already determined I wasn't going another day without the saw...sooo..since we're going to Busch Gardens...i'll run up through Surry..maybe the dealer up there is still open..nope...hmmm...go to Peninsula Ace Hardware..all they have is a little MS170..nuh-uh...they say I gotta go over to their other store...took a solid hour to find the bloody place..I will never ask for directions in Williamsburg again....guy at teh store was pretty helpful...got a hook up..only 290 in the store had a 20" bar...was gonna buy the 16, but they gave me the 20 for the preice of the 18...20 bucks is 20 bucks...so I blew that on a filing set..:chainsaw: then had to take the kids to Buttweiper farms..no fun..I still have not even started the bloody saw..:givebeer:

wife and kids were PISSED because it took so long to find the place..:cry:

Glad you got your saw. Disregard those that say anything bad about your saw. It will serve you well. Now git ta cuttin'!!! LOL :cheers: And welcome to AS! Try not to become a chainsaw fanatic! :laugh: :help:

I was gonna get a 290 but then I decided I didn't need it right away so I got a project 044 instead. I've heard a lot of good things about the 290. Hope it serves you well. Evan

Glad you got your saw. Disregard those that say anything bad about your saw. It will serve you well. Now git ta cuttin'!!! LOL :cheers: And welcome to AS! Try not to become a chainsaw fanatic! :laugh: :help:

remember the Key word there is 'try'

have fun and stay safe

When they are warming themselves by the fireplace, ask them how do they like the saw now:laugh:

Five fireplaces!

Your saw is going to get a workout. Remember you have cheap, slave labor (kids) to use stacking and moving the wood.

BFE must be a popular place to live as many have made it their home!:yoyo:

A lot of guys will trash on the 290 but it will serve you just fine. It's a good all-around saw and for the money I'd rather have that than the same priced Husky. I've got one that I bought a few months ago and I like it just fine. You can probably find a used bar on Ebay cheap if you feel the 20" is to much for it.

jim

A lot of guys will trash on the 290 but it will serve you just fine. It's a good all-around saw and for the money I'd rather have that than the same priced Husky. I've got one that I bought a few months ago and I like it just fine. You can probably find a used bar on Ebay cheap if you feel the 20" is to much for it.

jim

It all depends on user expectation, I sure wouldn't want one. .want something smoother and lighter, like the PS5100.

good buy

zopi..don't let the trash talk on AS get to ya.For a homeowner/personal use saw,your 290 will perform well.As far as a 20" bar,keep your chain sharp and you'll be fine.If you begin to feel your saw is lacking power do a search on muffler mods here on AS-lots of good info and advice to help you out.My 290 really woke up after a muffler mod and minor carb. adjustments.Good luck and SAFE sawin' to ya!!

Mrrf! This place cracks me up...

Mrrf! This place cracks me up...I paint and ride harleys in as my alter ego...'s no different with chainsaws I guess..I picked the 290 out of the crowd as being
about as much saw as I need...I will have to put up, I'd guess, eight or ten
cords of firewood a year..plus..the new house being 180 years old and having
four pole barns to re-slab..I will probably wind up with a hobby mill..:rock: is that the best of all possible worlds or what?

I read on someones site awhile back about a treecycling project..that really appeals to the sustainable farmer in me...bet I can pay for a hobby mill in a couple of days of milling...

funny...when we got the contract on this place, the guys at work were picking on me..place looks like the house in TX chainsaw massacre...we went to look at the house and there is a van out on the back lot that was abandoned...there
is an OLD holmelite chainsaw in it...geardrive, exposed cyinder, bloody UGLY saw...I cracked up..I hope they don't take that saw with them...it's a neat beast..I'd guesstimate it was made in the early sixties...dunno..

Murdered a little 6" log with it earlier...:D

My neighbor like me..I ride noisy Harleys, have noisy lawnmowers, trimmers and chainsaws...so their trees get trimmed, lawns cut and I'm a damn good 6am alarm clock on weekdays. :rock:

Mrrf! This place cracks me up...I paint and ride harleys in as my alter ego...'s no different with chainsaws I guess..I picked the 290 out of the crowd as being
about as much saw as I need...I will have to put up, I'd guess, eight or ten
cords of firewood a year..plus..the new house being 180 years old and having
four pole barns to re-slab..I will probably wind up with a hobby mill..:rock: is that the best of all possible worlds or what?

I read on someones site awhile back about a treecycling project..that really appeals to the sustainable farmer in me...bet I can pay for a hobby mill in a couple of days of milling...

funny...when we got the contract on this place, the guys at work were picking on me..place looks like the house in TX chainsaw massacre...we went to look at the house and there is a van out on the back lot that was abandoned...there
is an OLD holmelite chainsaw in it...geardrive, exposed cyinder, bloody UGLY saw...I cracked up..I hope they don't take that saw with them...it's a neat beast..I'd guesstimate it was made in the early sixties...dunno..

I'm jealous. I could never afford a house and land like that here. As to the Homelite, most likely they'll haul off the van with the contents inside before the sale (if they haven't already), as most buyers wouldn't want junk like that. If you want the Homelite you better tell them RIGHT NOW. I'm sure they'd be happy to give it to you if you asked (tell them it's a condition of the sale-LOL). All they have to do is set it in the barn before the van is hauled away.

Clean it up and put on your mantle, restore it, or pass it on to one of us old saw nuts. Just PLEASE don't let it get scrapped. There are chainsaw collectors websites (and a Homelite specific one). Do a google search...

Good job, that is a nice firewood saw. I used one for years, If you keep your filters clean and run still oil (I recommend 40:1 instead of 50:1) and that saw will really last you. I have an 029 I cant kill.

I'm jealous. I could never afford a house and land like that here. As to the Homelite, most likely they'll haul off the van with the contents inside before the sale (if they haven't already), as most buyers wouldn't want junk like that. If you want the Homelite you better tell them RIGHT NOW. I'm sure they'd be happy to give it to you if you asked (tell them it's a condition of the sale-LOL). All they have to do is set it in the barn before the van is hauled away.

Clean it up and put on your mantle, restore it, or pass it on to one of us old saw nuts. Just PLEASE don't let it get scrapped. There are chainsaw collectors websites (and a Homelite specific one). Do a google search...

I probably won't get to talk to them...but I did get to meet the lady when we
looked at the house before the offer...and I won't go look them up again..the house deal is more important and I don't want to sour the deal...odds are they will leave it, as i told her not to worry about cleaning up the out buildings and back lot..have truck and trailer, and like to haul stuff...if they do I will post it up here firstest...maybe it'll be worth enough to someone
to swap a decent used 361 for it...:ices_rofl: I certainly would not let it get scrapped..I did play with it long enought to determine that it had spark, and good compression...no recoil starter though...wrap it and slap it...:rock:

Good job, that is a nice firewood saw. I used one for years, If you keep your filters clean and run still oil (I recommend 40:1 instead of 50:1) and that saw will really last you. I have an 029 I cant kill.

Ray, you don't have a brother named Ron do you?

painted a bike for a guy named Ron Bennett here awhile back....

Last edited:
Ray, you don't have a brother named Ron do you?

painted a bike for a guy named Ron Bennett here awhile back....

I have two brothers, Sam and Harry. Neither ride dirt bikes. However they may claim to if they think that will get them somewhere with a girl. :laugh:

Do you live near Toms Brook, VA. I have a lot of relatives down there, some I claim and some I do not. If Ron is one of the ones I do not claim I hope you got your money first. If not let me know and we will hunt him down like a wild animal.

It all depends on user expectation, I sure wouldn't want one. .want something smoother and lighter, like the PS5100.

Me too. But congrats to the new saw. If you didn't know, you now have a new boat anchor as well :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back