new use for a chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
Ran into this as i was looking for a good deal on an electric hot tire regrooving tool. thought you guys mite get a kick out of it. i also posted it over in the off the topic section so sorry if i made you guys check it out twice. i just thought it was kinda funny and amazed that it really worked

[video=youtube;4p6UjrJl6A0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6UjrJl6A0[/video]

good grief. theres more people that do this. probably the video that the guy in the first video i posted watched to get the idea for his little electric saw job.

[video=youtube;dwItiRI_iC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwItiRI_iC0[/video]

Ran into this as i was looking for a good deal on an electric hot tire regrooving tool. thought you guys mite get a kick out of it. i also posted it over in the off the topic section so sorry if i made you guys check it out twice. i just thought it was kinda funny and amazed that it really worked

[video=youtube;4p6UjrJl6A0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6UjrJl6A0[/video]

What do you think would happen if you tried that on a studed tire?

bout the same as hitting a nail in a tree id imagine. not good for the chain at any rate

I've seen that done in person, on super swampers. 44" ir so from memory. I used to do a bit of amateur off road competition stuff in south korea until I got sick of all the welding and repairs after each weekend, and the cost of the tyres. Depending on what sort of terrain you're on, the tyres really do lose a lot of their grip once the square edges of the knobs have been rounded. Offroad bike guys recut them square by cutting the top of the knob off, with a razor blade, but once they're down to about 1/2 height they're useless.

I did more rock crawling in my rig, with mickey thompson baja claws. Lots of welded protection underneath, spring over axle, welded diffs, rotating shackles, no sawy bars etc. I got reasonable mileage from my tyres and got the extra 'edge' by siping. I later found out lots of truck fleets get their tyres siped by machine. I used to do mine with a razor blade. Took about 4 beers per tyre to get the job done well.

Shaun

them tire siping machines are the cats meow. takes the whole rim and tire rite on the machine. it only takes about 10min to do a whole set of 4. only catch is that most places wont do it unless the tires are new. rocks really chew up the cutter and they are about $15 a piece. i just ordered a cheap hot iron tire regroving tool and a 6 razor blade manual tire siper so ill have to see how much trouble i can get into

them tire siping machines are the cats meow. takes the whole rim and tire rite on the machine. it only takes about 10min to do a whole set of 4. only catch is that most places wont do it unless the tires are new. rocks really chew up the cutter and they are about $15 a piece. i just ordered a cheap hot iron tire regroving tool and a 6 razor blade manual tire siper so ill have to see how much trouble i can get into

The machines are fast, but not that great for offroad tyres. Trouble is they can't see the tread, so they just put a wipe in every 3/8" or whatever. They end up making cuts too near the end if the tread block, then that section tears out. Doing it by hand with an adjustable depth razor blade is the slowest but best way of doing it.

gotta keep in mind that they were designed with snow and ice in mind too. for your kind of siping im sure your method is best. ya put a whole lot more torque down to each lug in the rocks and trails than any one wheel firmly planted on a flat sheet of ice

Back