Newbie here, which saw under $200?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimx200

Reaction score
Great site! Last time I used a chain saw was mid 70's, so I need to be informed. I have 3 small trees (8-10" diam.) to cut down and some others at my sisters place. For what they charge here in Sacramento to cut, I can buy a entry level saw and do it myself.
Which saw should I buy under $200.? Is 16" a good size? I have been to Home Depot and looked at Poulans ($160-200.) and Sears at about the same prices. BTW, the Poulans and Sears looked exactly the same, just different color. Went to the local Echo dealer and price was $329., much better saw, but more than I want to spend for a small project. Can I get a Husky or Stihl in low $200.'s?
Suggestions appreciated and thanks to all!
Jim

good to have u jim. but i kinda wonder
if u need to own a saw also.
u could rent one[or borrow] and get all
u mentioned done. of the choices to purchase under 200. my suggestion would be to get a poulan pro 260.
its big enough for the job,and small enough to perhaps lessen danger of injury. also sometimes they come with 2 chains. which mite get your job done.
ive owned one,and found it to be a good cutting saw. they change the numbers on the saws all the time. so what im talkin is their 40-42 cc gold saw. good luck.

thanks guys. hand saw is an option, but way too much work,trees not big but lots of them. Besides, I like power tools and want a saw. Called rental yards, $50-75. a day, and jobs will take 3-4 days. If I buy, after work is done, I still have a saw. Besides, I like the labor part, good therapy.
Thanks again, Jim

Daveb,
Although your comments are encouraging, you lack a sugestion to someone who asked for help choosing a saw. Thats what this forum is here for! Not for smart a** comments!

Stihl 009 is an inappropriate saw for your tasks.

I would go with the yellow Poulan pro at 42cc. You might find an Ace Hardware, they sell them and sometimes have service departments.

If you want to go just a bit over the $200 John Deere has the CS 42 made by Efco in Italy. They are good. I have seen them at John Deere stores priced at $199 on special. These are what I would call medium duty saws. I sell them as Efcos, but not online.

Jonsered, if you have a dealer near you, will soon have the 42cc 2137 (It is the Poulan). It should go for $189.

jimx200,
You said you like power tools and want a saw. I'd get something I would have around for a while and enjoy running. A Husqvarna 345 is a great homeowner saw for around $240.00. It is a sweet little saw for the money, not to mention you'd be part of the Husqvarna family. :D

Jim,
You might want to consider a good used saw. This way you can get a good quality saw that will last a long time in you price range.
IMO I would try to stick with a pro model saw. I'm sure their are a few good saws floating around.
Check with some of are local dealers hear on AS I'm sure someone can fix you up.
Check with dozerdan or stihltech,stihlman036

I think the Echo cs300 goes for about $200. And I have to say, Contrare G-Man. Smart a** comments are a very big part of this forum. That's one of the things thats made this site what it is today. ;)

There have been many brand new Echo CS-4400's going for less than $200 buy it now prices on Ebay lately. You might consider that.

Have a look in your local paper, someone may be doing some spring cleaning and want to get rid of a saw. You may get a great saw at an great price.

Rent a decent saw from a rental place for a day. The sears/eager beaver won't last mush longer.

The cheapies won't cut as good either. Instead of buying a sears saw, you can alway produce the same effect by slamming yer nutz in the car door and donating $160 to a 3rd world country. It would save gaz töö!!

good cheap, not commercial saw -- ECHO!!

Blinded by the Orange

The color orange has blinded our thinking, and is responsible for much blind loyalty.

Do you suppose that if the reserrected Homelites were orange that it would help their market success?

I am ready for blue, white or black; maybe even chrome.

Anything but the same old fight.

If you are looking for a saw to complete several small projects then a Husky 136 ($179) or 141 ($199) will complete the task. They could probably be had a little cheaper but buy it from a good servicing dealer and not a box store. I will be the first to admit that they are low end consumser saws but my father bought a new 136 last year and it has cut one h"ll of a lot more trees that was mentioned earlier and it has not had one bit of trouble. The other plus side is that they can be resold on ebay for $30 less than you paid for it. If you do not believe me then check ended auctions and look at the stripped 136 that brought over $100. You will ony be out $30 plus the tax you paid on it. The Stihl 017 ($179) would be another low end option for small projects. Do not buy a 009 if you have not ran a saw in years as the partial top handle design may throw off a novice. I am sure the Poulan Pros mention earlier are good saws also but I would bet the resale value would be at a much lower percentage of original price. Now if you want to spend some money on a real nice saw contact me about my near new Stihl 036 Pro.

Just my random thoughts,

Bill

I'm gonna get tarred and feathered for this but here goes, The Stihl 017 or now MS170 is a fine little saw. Locally they sell here for $159.99 your dealer can add the side chain tensioner off a 021 as a very inexpensive upgrade. I think this saw would last a lifetime of homeowner use with a little maintenance. This is another one of those saws that has good resale value on e-bay.

Back