Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaver eager

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm fairly new to this site and thought I would intro myself a bit and perhaps ask a question or two while I'm at it.
I'm new to joining the site but have seen it many times. I'm not new to saws really but not a pro either. I cut my own firewood when I can find someone willing to let me and usually end up with about 4 cords a year.
I own only two saws (so far) one being an old 1984 Husky 266se that has had a hard life in the pulp woods but is still very powerful and the other is a brand new stihl ms361. The 361 was bought because of reviews I read here (thanks for that) and because I have a neighbor that works for the local shop that sells Stihl so a "neighbor discount" was to be had. I was thinking 390 at first but for a little more I get a better saw even if I dont need it. I'm not going to ever tout one brand over the other over the other as I know full well that each maker has a few fine saws in the mix and a few not so fine. Also a homeowner doesnt "need" a pro saw to get many years use out of the saw. The model of saw is far more important than the maker.
Ok so here comes my question. I need to get a "grapple" load this spring consisting of at least 8 cords to last two winters. Who in New Hampshire (Manchester area) is the best for this? I tried one place last year and had a "cord" delivered but it should be 3 rows cut at 16" (8' long 4' high) and not two so I don't trust them anymore.
In Sept I'll be sent over to Iraq (Army Guards) for a year so I need my family to be all set next winter and when I return the following september I'll need to wood already done and ready to go for winter.
I'm not looking for a military discount as I know firewood is a tough, thankless job of minimal profit. What I want is an honest company with a reputation for delivering what they say they are delivering.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Welcome

Maybe try some saw mills in your area for some leads on logs delivered.

Rep sent for service overseas.

Call local tree services and let them know you want to pick up wood from the job site. Chances are they'll be glad to let you have it for free. A little here and a little there and it'll add up. My rule is anyone who wants wood has to pick it up before were done with the job, so as to avoid a return trip if they flake. Just a thought.

Repped you for taking care of your family and us (your country). Thanks for your service.

Rep from me as well. Take care.

Have you asked around your local Legion hall. At our Legion, if a serviceman is about to deploy, we take great interest in helping him (or her) and their family prepare. I'm sure somebody there could advise on a fair dealer. Perhaps some free wood as well, though I'm sure you're not begging.

Thanks for all the reps and No I am certainly not begging. I can get free wood every year at the archery club I'm in as well as plenty of other places and have done that since I got my stove. The problem is that cutting, bucking, dragging through the woods by hand (75 yards or more) and loading on the trailer is back breaking work by yourself and doing 4 cords is bad enough but 8 cords would kill me in the short time i need to get it done in. Heading to El Salvador for a month between may and june won't help either so I just want a nice simple grapple load to be dropped off so I can buck it and split it and stack it up nice and purdy.

Thanks for serving. We have a Firewood Forum here. Post a question about truck loads of logs there and maybe they can help. Good luck and thanks again for your service, Joe.

Latest posts

Back