News Flash - Firewood Prices Skyrocket!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price of wood

To get back on track. As for the wheel barrow of wood, consider what they pay for a "bundle". :help:

I found a note on the seat of my truck the other day, wanting 3 cords.
I called back, and told him the price (145 cd). Then he asked if that included stacking! :bowdown:

I have not heard back since I said "no, I dump it where the truck fits"

Do they want me to light the fire for them as well??? :cry:

-Pat

To get back on track. As for the wheel barrow of wood, consider what they pay for a "bundle". :help:

I found a note on the seat of my truck the other day, wanting 3 cords.
I called back, and told him the price (145 cd). Then he asked if that included stacking! :bowdown:

I have not heard back since I said "no, I dump it where the truck fits"

Do they want me to light the fire for them as well??? :cry:

-Pat

Sounds like, by the lack of response, that was a deafening "YES" to the stacking.

Last edited:
Firewood guy,

I would have to deliver that at night, under full darkness, while wearing a mask so that I didn't feel guilty if I saw the person in the grocery store the next day. If you can get that price, good for you:clap: . You must have a very niche market to sell to. Around here there may be a lynch mob, a rope and an old oak tree in the business plan.

Don't get me wrong, if you can do it, more power to ya. Just cant see it happening around here.:monkey: That is WAY over 5 times the going rate for cut, split, delivered oak and hickory. Heck, thats $1335 per cord and thats not including delivery.

Wait a minute....are you talking about the little bundles in front of the slurpy stores? Cuz then I can under stand it.:clap:

Firewood guy,

I would have to deliver that at night, under full darkness, while wearing a mask so that I didn't feel guilty if I saw the person in the grocery store the next day. If you can get that price, good for you:clap: . You must have a very niche market to sell to. Around here there may be a lynch mob, a rope and an old oak tree in the business plan.

Don't get me wrong, if you can do it, more power to ya. Just cant see it happening around here.:monkey: That is WAY over 5 times the going rate for cut, split, delivered oak and hickory. Heck, thats $1335 per cord and thats not including delivery.

Wait a minute....are you talking about the little bundles in front of the slurpy stores? Cuz then I can under stand it.:clap:

Jags, If been selling firewood for past 19 years and we delivery during daylight hours and we dont wear masks and their is no lynchmobs or slurpy stores in this region nor do we feel or have been guilty in selling firewood. Is there any other negative remarks that I missed that you would like to comment on ??? There's an olde saying, "If you don't have anything good to say about someone, , then keep your m.................. Peace !!

Oh ! I guess you mean now, is what he posted is not what he ment. Thats all most like saying "don't do what I do, do what I say !" OK, I get it now. Peace

Not that a Badger ever enjoys defending a FIB however, I think Jags is simply pointing out how different the markets are and doing it with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I don't think he is suggesting that you are literally a crook. To me it the same as the fact that my house in WI would be worth five times as much if I could sell it in CA. People price their product on what the local market will bear. Jags is correct in that if you tried to sell firewood at your price in WI, IL, MN, etc. you wouldn't sell one stick at that price.

See, Jags, you can make a point and be more tactful. How are the Bear doing? :hmm3grin2orange:

Not that a Badger ever enjoys defending a FIB however, I think Jags is simply pointing out how different the markets are and doing it with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I don't think he is suggesting that you are literally a crook. To me it the same as the fact that my house in WI would be worth five times as much if I could sell it in CA. People price their product on what the local market will bear. Jags is correct in that if you tried to sell firewood at your price in WI, IL, MN, etc. you wouldn't sell one stick at that price.

See, Jags, you can make a point and be more tactful. How are the Bear doing? :hmm3grin2orange:

I think you and Jags are somewhat mistaken. If you offer a better product and provide a better service than your compeditors, I think you will have a better chance in any business in offering better quality,quanity and service to the consumer. WI, IL, MN and etc is no different than NH, MA , ME, RI and CT that we deliver to. Some of my compeditors said the same thing to me back 19 years ago and had the same thoughts as you and Jags. But after 19 years of selling firewood, I'm still going strong. So as to your "local price market theory", I think you are still mistaken. Peace !

Not much demand for it in this part of the country..... But the tree services sell it at crazy prices.....They don't sell by the cord either which is illegal in most areas. I called for a price a few year ago and the one place wanted 165.00 for 4x16 ft what ever that is?? I said that I wanted to split it myself and they have been letting me take all I want since for free.

I think you and Jags are somewhat mistaken. If you offer a better product and provide a better service than your compeditors, I think you will have a better chance in any business in offering better quality,quanity and service to the consumer. WI, IL, MN and etc is no different than NH, MA , ME, RI and CT that we deliver to. Some of my compeditors said the same thing to me back 19 years ago and had the same thoughts as you and Jags. But after 19 years of selling firewood, I'm still going strong. So as to your "local price market theory", I think you are still mistaken. Peace !

I agree entirely with your statement. If you offer a better product, better price etc., you will be able to demand a higher price. However, I do believe the local market sets the ceiling. Around here typical per cord price is around $240 for hardwood. Would someone pay $275-$280? Probably, but that would be about the top end.

Obviously, supply and demand is a factor. I suspect that there is more cheap /free wood readily available in this market so people aren't buying as much wood from firewood suppliers which also keeps prices down.

Enough economic theory. My whole point is I don't think anyone was criticizing your business practices but more of a commentary on how different the Midwest market is from the New England market. I personally, am in favor of getting as much as you can from whatever product or service you sell. I love capitalism!

Good luck!:greenchainsaw:

Back