News Flash - Firewood Prices Skyrocket!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was merely killing your point. You said anywhere, not me. BTW, they are not trucking the oak into Cali, we have our own;)

I did say anywhere, but I also stated that "I thought they where sticking it to their customers".... My opinion is just that.....anybody else can feel how they want.... I wouldn't even pay 150 per full cord of firewood which is why I cut all of my own. You have to admit that mixed hardwood split and delivered in California for 260 per cord shows that 575 per cord in New Hampshire is way over priced.

The $575 is not for a cord that is for a 1/3 cord delivered and stacked it was around $1375 for a cord from him.
They cannot possibly be selling any at that price:buttkick:
Last time I bought firewood in Vermont I payed 100.00 for three cord oak, blocked, and delivered, but not split, .... that was only maybe 8 years ago. After splitting and stacking the load was closer to five cord.

Last edited:
They cannot possibly be selling any at that price:buttkick:
Last time I bought firewood in Vermont I payed 100.00 for three cord oak, blocked, and delivered, but not split, .... that was only maybe 8 years ago. After splitting and stacking the load was closer to five cord.

Query firewood on the SF Bay Area Craigslist and you will quickly see how out of touch you are with firewood prices (this suggestion is merely educational and not a slam). Like you, I find it ridiculous and scrounge for my wood.

Oh my, it has happened again! Prices just keep climbing!! The whole ad is here.

FIREWOOD FOR SALE $100

100DollarWood1.jpg
100DollarWood2.jpg

Not to change the subject but...........Anyone remember the first oil embargo? 1974 I think? I was selling a full cord then for 40.00 - delivered! Boy, I was rollin' in the $$$$$$$ too! :biggrinbounce2:

wood prices sure are scary up there...

Looking over the posts, makes me wonder if I am in the wrong part of the country when it comes to selling wood. I sell only seasoned wood, cut one year, sold the next. Nothing goes out of here except oak, hickory, and maybe some Hackberry mixed in somewhere.
We get 50 bucks per rick, and that is delivered and stacked. I carry a wheelbarrow on the trailer, more than once I have had to park in front and carry it around back to their woodpile. Every once in awhile I will get a 5 buck tip or something.
Any less, they get someone else. One clown sells wood by the "load", meaning his mazda short bed truck filled to the lip for 45 bucks. I have explained to my long time customers that I can not match that price cauze a "load" can mean anything, in this case well short of a rick. Once he has made a delivery to them, I get the business back. Once the wood is stacked, they quickly realize that the stack is not 4ft high and 8ft long.
I wish I could get some of the prices I see on this board, it sure would make a big difference in my attitude.

Looking over the posts, makes me wonder if I am in the wrong part of the country when it comes to selling wood. I sell only seasoned wood, cut one year, sold the next. Nothing goes out of here except oak, hickory, and maybe some Hackberry mixed in somewhere.
We get 50 bucks per rick, and that is delivered and stacked. I carry a wheelbarrow on the trailer, more than once I have had to park in front and carry it around back to their woodpile. Every once in awhile I will get a 5 buck tip or something.
Any less, they get someone else. One clown sells wood by the "load", meaning his mazda short bed truck filled to the lip for 45 bucks. I have explained to my long time customers that I can not match that price cauze a "load" can mean anything, in this case well short of a rick. Once he has made a delivery to them, I get the business back. Once the wood is stacked, they quickly realize that the stack is not 4ft high and 8ft long.
I wish I could get some of the prices I see on this board, it sure would make a big difference in my attitude.

If I could get some of the prices listed here, I would definitely start selling firewood!

You guys got it all wrong. Yeah I cut and sell wood mostly because I love being in the woods and running my saws. Selling it is just icing on the cake. Around here I get between 250 to 325 for a full cord of wood. That all depends on the customer, and how far I have to drive to drop it off. If I was selling wood just for a busseness I would sell it for alot more(or atleast try). I am not trying to dog anyone, I also think the price is alittle high, but who wouldn't want to get over 1000 dollars per cord? You have to see this from both sides, if he sells that much wood at that price he has got to be doing something right. I have never burned kiln dried wood, but if it burns that much better than my 3 yr red oak it might just be worth it.

45.00 a load - I get a kick out of that - I had a load in a wheelbarrow the other day - 3 pallets I sawed up :biggrinbounce2: HUGE load too - almost tipped 'er over - Supply & demand, depends how many in your area are selling what for how much. When the price of wood is up like now, everybody wants to sell - If it drops [doesn't look likely] most of them will bail out.

It went for about $45.00-$55.00 a rick earlier in the year for green wood from the last ice storm (January) here in NE Oklahoma. Mostly elm, hackberry, oak and maple. That is, if you cared to buy it already sawn and split. Mostly, people around here were just wanting to get rid of it. If you can haul it away it was yours.

Now, with the latest ice storm, there should be plenty of wood available at good prices for next season. Of course, they probably won't even be able to give it away to us folks in the country, since we have plenty to deal with as it is (hence, me buying a new gasoline-powered pole saw).

Of course, those city folks in Tulsa and OKC will probably keep buying their $7.00 a bundle from the local supermarket, regardless.

Go figure.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
You guys got it all wrong. Yeah I cut and sell wood mostly because I love being in the woods and running my saws.

You gots to be kiddin'!

That has to be about as much fun as deer hunting in the northern part of the U.P. of Michigan during a freezing rain! Or backpacking and camping (read dismounted forced march and bivouac) in the Black Forest of Germany as an Army Infantryman during a night-time winter snowstorm and new moon! LOL!

I really like my Stihl saws, but I don't like them that much!

Hey, if you enjoy that sort of thing, more power to you!

Regards,

David

Last edited:
Enjoy it? You bet

Well, i have to say, I enjoy the wood business myself, and the benefits that go along with it. In fact, I will take woodcutting in freezing weather any day over going to my regular job. It gets me out in the woods, man with a machine and a task to do, and my wife loves the extra muscles it puts on. She is forever squeezing the biceps and says, "oh, you have been packing a lot of wood lately!" <G>
The only thing that I really hate is dealing with customers that think that because you haul wood, you must be a second class citizen and dont really deserve the cash they hand over.

Latest posts

Back