News Flash - Firewood Prices Skyrocket!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree entirely with your statement. If you offer a better product, better price etc., you will be able to demand a higher price. However, I do believe the local market sets the ceiling. Around here typical per cord price is around $240 for hardwood. Would someone pay $275-$280? Probably, but that would be about the top end.

Obviously, supply and demand is a factor. I suspect that there is more cheap /free wood readily available in this market so people aren't buying as much wood from firewood suppliers which also keeps prices down.

Enough economic theory. My whole point is I don't think anyone was criticizing your business practices but more of a commentary on how different the Midwest market is from the New England market. I personally, am in favor of getting as much as you can from whatever product or service you sell. I love capitalism!

Good luck!:greenchainsaw:

The retail price on any product is part of being compensated for the net cost and work thats involved and Yes, there is allways cheeper products for cheeper pricing as low as $160.00 cord in this region. There is also, no supply and demand in this region, due to the fact,we have more trees than people in New England.
But wearing head masks ,delivering at night, mobs and etc etc is criticizing in these parts. But again, as you stated, getting as much as you can for a product usually dont fly well in this region, all anyone wants is to be compensated for the work that they perform to the consumer. Anyway, you have a good day ! Later.

I qualify my last statement by saying get what you can as long as the price is fair and customers are satisfied.

I think that relatively heating with wood is alot cheaper than with oil or gas....but it is also alot of work, so what you are saving in money, you spend in labor. We always heated with wood until we moved south and bought a house without a chimney or wood stove..... First winter my gas bill was 600.00 per month......I put a chimney in and dropped it to 40.00 a month the second winter.....chimney and woodstove paid for in one season in savings.....or maybe my savings is just global warming.

Firewood Guy,

I am NOT trying to rain on your parade. Truly. If any offense was taken I am sure it was because of my off brand humor (or attempt at it) and am sorry for that. IF you are providing a superior product and service and can command a premium price for it (as it appears) then by all means make it happen.

The reality of it is this: At $1335 per cord before delivery I would spend $6675 in cordwood to heat my house (at 85% of the time) per year. This is before delivery. Using propane to back up the 15% that I might not have a fire going. To use propane to heat my house 100% of the time (turning the knob on the wall) it would cost $2200. Repeat: using wood at your costs would cost me over $4400 MORE than turning up the furnace. Sorry, does not make sense.

I am NOT trying to tick anyone off here, I am trying to reinforce my above argument without the annoyance of my lame humor.

Firewood Guy,

I am NOT trying to rain on your parade. Truly. If any offense was taken I am sure it was because of my off brand humor (or attempt at it) and am sorry for that. IF you are providing a superior product and service and can command a premium price for it (as it appears) then by all means make it happen.

The reality of it is this: At $1335 per cord before delivery I would spend $6675 in cordwood to heat my house (at 85% of the time) per year. This is before delivery. Using propane to back up the 15% that I might not have a fire going. To use propane to heat my house 100% of the time (turning the knob on the wall) it would cost $2200. Repeat: using wood at your costs would cost me over $4400 MORE than turning up the furnace. Sorry, does not make sense.

I am NOT trying to tick anyone off here, I am trying to reinforce my above argument without the annoyance of my lame humor.

The reality is that I don't have to explain it to you what you don't understand. Furthermore, it does look like "you are raining on the parade" . I don't sell cords anyway and you are just converting the prices to a unit pricing and you still can't understand. Did you ever convert firewood bundles into unit pricing ?? I guess you can't understand that either, Oh Well !! I guess I don't understand what part of the $445.00 for the 1/3 cord is it that you don't understand or you are still having trouble with in understanding ??

Last edited:
I live in So. NH and we do not pay $445 for a face cord of wood. If you pay more than $230 your crazy.

If you got pocket change, buy the Union leader and flip to the classifieds and see what cords are selling for. Furthermore, sale of face cords are prohibited in NH anyway.

If you got pocket change, buy the Union leader and flip to the classifieds and see what cords are selling for. Furthermore, sale of face cords are prohibited in NH anyway.

DRY FIREWOOD, cut, split. You pick up in Weare NH. $200/cord. 486-8618.
Published In: The Union Leader
on 10/07/2007

DRY Firewood. ?The very best dry hardwood firewood? say our customers. Cut & split 1 yr, $260/cord delivered. 487-2900, 8 to 4; 325-5771 after 4 PM & weekends.
on 10/10/2007

FIREWOOD oak & maple cut & split $175.00 per cord 483-0157 or 493-4314.
on 10/10/2007

FIREWOOD. $230/cord. Seasoned 18 mos., delivered. Please call 603-494-1037
on 10/07/2007

AND NOW YOUR PRICE
FIREWOODGUY.COM, 1/4 stacked cord kiln dried firewood w/10 cu. ft fruitwood, $575 + delivery & stacked. 603-437-0940.
on 10/07/2007

Gee where should I buy my wood from??

on 10/07/2007

DRY Firewood. ?The very best dry hardwood firewood? say our customers. Cut & split 1 yr, $260/cord delivered. 487-2900, 8 to 4; 325-5771 after 4 PM & weekends.
on 10/10/2007

on 10/10/2007

on 10/07/2007

AND NOW YOUR PRICE
FIREWOODGUY.COM, 1/4 stacked cord kiln dried firewood w/10 cu. ft fruitwood, $575 + delivery & stacked. 603-437-0940.
on 10/07/2007

scalo, It seems like you missed a few classified adds in The Union Leaded today, or are you just picken and chosing the price of the firewood adds. Again, What part of my classified add don't you understand ??? If you are shopping for price, I would suggest you pick the cheeper priced firewood, what U think !! Does that help you in deciding" where should I buy your cheeper wood from " ?? . Furthermore, You are comparing firewood prices (e.g. apples with oranges) in the local firewood classified adds. HELLO ! HELLO !! KNOCK - KNOCK; ANY ONE UP STAIRS !! Whats wrong with that picture !!! Now start to compare firewood prices like you would in comparing apple with apples.

SEASONED FIREWOOD , no bark, bugs, mess. Stored under cover, $260/cord, 622-9783
on 10/07/2007

View Items For "Classified Advertiser" Print this Item Email this Item

SEASONED FIREWOOD , no bark, bugs, mess. Stored under cover, $260/cord, 622-9783
on 10/10/2007

SEASONED FIREWOOD. Cut, split and delivered. $265 /cord. 437-3299
on 10/07/2007

Green or Seasoned Firewood Cut & split. Prompt delivery. Call (Londonderry) 289-1898
on 10/07/2007

14 Total Items

Last edited:
The point is NOBODY in the state of NH is paying $1300+ for a cord of anything stacked or not! And I did not think that you needed to see every add that had a lower price than yours by more than $1000, but I guess the fruit wood and stacking makes up for the difference in price.

The point is NOBODY in the state of NH is paying $1300+ for a cord of anything stacked or not! And I did not think that you needed to see every add that had a lower price than yours by more than $1000, but I guess the fruit wood and stacking makes up for the difference in price.

You wouldn't want to make a bet on that or put money where you mouth is, would you ?? I have 2-1/2 cords being delivered again this Friday, if you wanted to tag along and see for yourself, you are welcome to do so. Furthermore, (ref; to the classified firewood adds issue) you stated that anyone that pays more than $230.00 per cord is crazy. Most of the firewood adds in the Union exceeds $230.00 per cord. In one breath, "you state that nobody is going to pay $1300.00 a cord". In you next breath, "you state that the fruitwood and stacking makes up the difference in price". Do you really know what you are talking about or not ?? or are you just posting bull*hit in trying to rattle my cage ?? POI; lay off those recreational drugs next time you post anything about me and know or research the issues next time, before you make a fool out of yourself again. Peace !!

Last edited:
You wouldn't want to make a bet on that or put money where you mouth is, would you ?? I have 2-1/2 cords being delivered again this Friday, if you wanted to tag along and see for yourself, you are welcome to do so. Furthermore, (ref; to the classified firewood adds issue) you stated that anyone that pays more than $230.00 per cord is crazy. Most of the firewood adds in the Union exceeds $230.00 per cord. In one breath, "you state that nobody is going to pay $1300.00 a cord". In you next breath, "you state that the fruitwood and stacking makes up the difference in price". Do you really know what you are talking about or not ?? or are you just posting bull*hit in trying to rattle my cage ?? POI; lay off those recreational drugs next time you post anything about me and know or research the issues next time, before you make a fool out of yourself again. Peace !!

First off, I have not attacked you as a person or tried to belittle you in any way but it seems that you feel it is appropriate for you to do it. I could do the same thing but I feel that I am a better person than that. I simply stated that there is firewood available for $230 and even less than that so there is really no reason to pay more than that.
I still think that anyone who pays $1300+ for a cord of wood is crazy and the part about the fruit wood and stacking making up the $1000+ difference, I was being facetious.

As far as things being said and then contradicted
Thats still cheeper than what we sell for. We sell face cords (1/3 cord) for $445.00 plus delivery.

Then you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalo
I live in So. NH and we do not pay $445 for a face cord of wood. If you pay more than $230 your crazy.

As far as the reference to me using "recreational drugs" I'll just write that off to ignorance and you not knowing me.

First off, I have not attacked you as a person or tried to belittle you in any way but it seems that you feel it is appropriate for you to do it. I could do the same thing but I feel that I am a better person than that. I simply stated that there is firewood available for $230 and even less than that so there is really no reason to pay more than that.
I still think that anyone who pays $1300+ for a cord of wood is crazy and the part about the fruit wood and stacking making up the $1000+ difference, I was being facetious.

As far as things being said and then contradicted

Then you said

As far as the reference to me using "recreational drugs" I'll just write that off to ignorance and you not knowing me.

If you are not attacking me then who are you attacking, the people ??
"" I live in So. NH and we do not pay $445 for a face cord of wood. If you pay more than $230 your crazy.""
My orginal post about "face cords" was in reply to Larry The Cable Guy in CA. untill you stepped into the picture. Some states in the western parts of the country are more familar with the terms face cords than the cord regulation/terms (e.g. 1/3 cord). You should know that from living in Southern NH or where ever you live. Even you screwed up in your reply refering to "face cords" . But what ever!!, you can write if off any way you want and furthermore, I don't want to know you either, who ever you really are or where ever you claim to live. Peace !!

:sucks: :sucks:
If you are not attacking me then who are you attacking, the people ??
"" I live in So. NH and we do not pay $445 for a face cord of wood. If you pay more than $230 your crazy.""
My orginal post about "face cords" was in reply to Larry The Cable Guy in CA. untill you stepped into the picture. Some states in the western parts of the country are more familar with the terms face cords than the cord regulation/terms (e.g. 1/3 cord). You should know that from living in Southern NH or where ever you live. Even you screwed up in your reply refering to "face cords" . But what ever!!, you can write if off any way you want and furthermore, I don't want to know you either, who ever you really are or where ever you claim to live. Peace !!
:sucks: :sucks:

:sucks: :notrolls2: :sucks:

I did not attack anyone, I stated my opinion.

You asked me to look at prices for cord wood and I did,

on 10/07/2007

on 10/10/2007

on 10/10/2007

on 10/07/2007

AND NOW YOUR PRICE
on 10/07/2007

Still have not attacked anyone, only did what you aked me to do

The point is NOBODY in the state of NH is paying $1300+ for a cord of anything stacked or not! And I did not think that you needed to see every add that had a lower price than yours by more than $1000, but I guess the fruit wood and stacking makes up for the difference in price (sarcastic).

The above statement was kind of incorrect because apparently there are people who will pay $1300 for a cord of wood , but still I have not attacked anyone

As far as the reference to me using "recreational drugs" I'll just write that off to ignorance and you not knowing me

So who did I attack with my original opinion? and I am who my name says I am and I do live in Milford, NH (So. NH). and this is the last thing I have to say about this.

I did not attack anyone, I stated my opinion.

You asked me to look at prices for cord wood and I did,

Still have not attacked anyone, only did what you aked me to do

The above statement was kind of incorrect because apparently there are people who will pay $1300 for a cord of wood , but still I have not attacked anyone

So who did I attack with my original opinion? and I am who my name says I am and I do live in Milford, NH (So. NH). and this is the last thing I have to say about this.

Milford NH ?? I though all the people in Milford was smart, intelligent and well educated people. boy was I wrong. Oh Well !!

oooh you got me

Milford NH ?? I though all the people in Milford was smart, intelligent and well educated people. boy was I wrong. Oh Well !!

For a business person you seem to be lacking tolerance of criticism, hope you don't treat your customers this way...

Kiln-dried hardwoods??!? you got a kiln?? sounds like those are offcuts from the local lumber yard.

You sound like a "BBQ wood"/"used car" salesman, not a firewood guy. Anyone would have trouble heating their home at that price, might as well switch to coal, ha ha ha. But hey, if people are buying then you're flying!

Please don't take this personally, just my $0.02.

Take care and have a great day.

Back