next best stihl size up saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wally 12

wally 12

ArboristSite Lurker
what is the next best stihl size up saw

I 'm in the same boat as the person asking about the next size up Husky, but I would like to stick with Stihl.
I now have ms 361 w/ 18"that seems to be great, but need to get something a little bigger to handle 25"or 28" bar.
Wondering if ms 460 will fall in that gap?

Last edited:
gregz

gregz

ArboristSite Guru
I have to agree. The ms460 is a good saw. I have a newer one and probable broke in as good as it will get. I added dp cover and seemed to open it up a little. With a 25" bar 7 pin sprocket and a stihl RSC chain the saw cuts
20-30" oaks with ease. If you go with the 460, turn the oiler all the up.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep MS460 is your next step.

I prefer the 260/460 combo myself but it's hard to go wrong with a 361 in the line-up. ;)

The 660 would be a bigger step up and would be about the perfect gap between saws, but it's just overkill with a 24" bar and really more saw than is needed for the 28" but hey if ya got the money and and a good strong back....... why not.

COLD_IRON

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
I 'm in the same boat as the person asking about the next size up Husky, but I would like to stick with Stihl.
I now have ms 361 w/ 18"that seems to be great, but need to get something a little bigger to handle 25"or 28" bar.
Wondering if ms 460 will fall in that gap?

I was wondering the same thing myself, but I would like spring AV.

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
066 - 660 a 10cc jump ant big enough.

I have a 280, 440 and a few bigger saws, I think I'm trying to talk myself outa getting the 361 moreso than getting him to make a bigger jump lol but I guess there is no way around it, the 361 fits right in my lineup also lol!!

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Since you said step up and it has to be a Stihl. I am going to be like everyone else on this site and say 7900:) But seriously if step up means step up I like to jump up two saw's. That means 460! No replacement for displacement argument.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Austin, I'd prefere the slightly lighter and much more powerfull 460 to the 441 any day - and a 372/2171 or 7900 to both, depending on what power I need......

Last edited:

Latest posts