next best stihl size up saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally 12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what is the next best stihl size up saw

I 'm in the same boat as the person asking about the next size up Husky, but I would like to stick with Stihl.
I now have ms 361 w/ 18"that seems to be great, but need to get something a little bigger to handle 25"or 28" bar.
Wondering if ms 460 will fall in that gap?

Last edited:
066 - 660 a 10cc jump ant big enough.

Last edited:
I have to agree. The ms460 is a good saw. I have a newer one and probable broke in as good as it will get. I added dp cover and seemed to open it up a little. With a 25" bar 7 pin sprocket and a stihl RSC chain the saw cuts
20-30" oaks with ease. If you go with the 460, turn the oiler all the up.

Yep MS460 is your next step.

I prefer the 260/460 combo myself but it's hard to go wrong with a 361 in the line-up. ;)

The 660 would be a bigger step up and would be about the perfect gap between saws, but it's just overkill with a 24" bar and really more saw than is needed for the 28" but hey if ya got the money and and a good strong back....... why not.

I 'm in the same boat as the person asking about the next size up Husky, but I would like to stick with Stihl.
I now have ms 361 w/ 18"that seems to be great, but need to get something a little bigger to handle 25"or 28" bar.
Wondering if ms 460 will fall in that gap?

I was wondering the same thing myself, but I would like spring AV.

066 - 660 a 10cc jump ant big enough.

I have a 280, 440 and a few bigger saws, I think I'm trying to talk myself outa getting the 361 moreso than getting him to make a bigger jump lol but I guess there is no way around it, the 361 fits right in my lineup also lol!!

Since you said step up and it has to be a Stihl. I am going to be like everyone else on this site and say 7900:) But seriously if step up means step up I like to jump up two saw's. That means 460! No replacement for displacement argument.

Austin, I'd prefere the slightly lighter and much more powerfull 460 to the 441 any day - and a 372/2171 or 7900 to both, depending on what power I need......

Last edited:
Back